What Makes Shyamalan So Unique & Compelling To You

Author Topic: What Makes Shyamalan So Unique & Compelling To You  (Read 2760 times)

GBaxter

• Praying with Anger

« on: July 19, 2006, 07:35:11 PM »
 What makes (or always has made) Manoj Shyamalan so unique and compelling to you, compared to other (similarly aged, younger, or older, or now deceased) writers, directors, or writer - directors, whom you also admire ?  

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 10:06:56 PM »
 I would have to say the reason M. Night is so unique is by the way he tells his stories.  He does it in a fashion that leans you forward so you can listen.  He's telling a story and he wants you to hear every detail.  But there are some people who like the action right there, coming towards you.  But M. Night wants you to hear a sound, and then wonder where it's coming from.  See, I believe the people who like up-front action, blood, gore, and don't like M. Night's movies, are the ones who don't use their minds as much because movies should make you think.  Whats the point of having a mind if we don't like to use it?  That's another reason why M. Night is so talented.  He makes us ponder about the films he presents.  He doesn't make an audience sit in their seats and expect the same old story with the same old endings.  There are people who don't believe life can be full of twists.  And yes, life can have meaning behind those twist, people just don't want to see it.  They want everything to be all right in the end, but M. Night Shyamalan doesn't.

M. Night's writing can also be another aspect of his creativity.  Simple sentences can have HUGE meaning.  "I see dead people.", "It's happening.", "I'm back Lucious.", and "They called me Mr. Glass." can be shortened up for a ton of emotions.  And the way they speak it is so poetic.  Not like, roses are red, violets are blue.  More of an emotion of innocense.  The language they spoke in "The Village" was absolutely beautiful!  A lot of people complained about that, but listen to it, "Those We Don't Speak Of" is a whole lot better than saying "The Creatures".

One last thing about M. Night is his camera angles.  WOW!!!  I get a lot of inspiration from him, just because of his shots!  "Signs", I believe, has the best angles.  I could give you a ton of reasons, but I have typed plenty.  But I hope you agree with me on why M. Night is so unique and talented compared to most directors, because it takes a lot to change a person, and M. Night has done that to me.

-Steven
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

Maya

• Signs

• my myspace
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 10:26:32 AM »
 I like Shyamalan's work because they are a poetic originality.  Watching his films is like reading a really really good book.  Its almost surreal.
-b.rocha

attributed to einstein:
"if the bees disappeared off the surface of the globe
than man would only have four years of life left."

http://www.myspace.com/274520477

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 08:11:27 PM »
 His characters just seem very genuine to me.  They always seem to care for one another, and not in a cheesy sort of way.  I love the groups of people in his last three films.  The way they come together.  Hard to explain I'm finding.

Also, the way normal events can seem so interesesting and engaging.  This is a combination of dialogue, which I think he is great at writing, and composition.  His execution of getting so much out of a single shot.  Where other directors often maybe rely on some quick cuts and close up inserts, he manages to write engaging interactions and create interesting composition which makes me constantly interested, instead of having to cut cut cut to keep my interest.  

I love the parts of the story he chooses to tell as well.  Specifically Unbreakable and Signs.  Unbreakable being about knowing you place in the world, even if your place is a being a superhero.  It's not about being a superhero and kicking ass, the way many people would have preferred it. It's about finding out that you are a superhero, and that's your place.  Same with Signs.  An Alien invasion of earth that's only about how one family copes with it, and how it ultimately effects them.  It's the smaller story inside the huge event.  LitW even.  The fact that the movie isn't about the blue world and all that jazz.  It's about the healing of a guy who's had horrible things happen to him and how these people come together to believe something and help someone get home.  That it ends how it does is a testament to that because they don't show Story get home and they dont delve into some storyline after she is gone.  The movie has been resolved once Story leaves.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:57:51 PM »
 He knows how to tell a story. He knows how to develop his characters. And his unique ability to find amazing camera angles. The relationship that he develops with his actors on set makes them want to come back and want to do another movie with him. He knows how to keep you hooked and scare with scenes that any other writer and director wouldn't know how to. Long live M. Night Shyamalan
ww.freewebs.com/hacproductions

LOSTI

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »
 M has always been intrging  ;)  even when he was 13. all his films are incredibule. i think because night is connected to the OTHER side.
oved by the buffalo

anpdm1

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 06:00:55 PM »
For me it's more than just liking the work of the artist.  It is in fact an awakening through a process of connecting the dots of the archetypes and their occurences on my lifepath and into my worlds of dreams from childhood to today.  I am 47, African American female & an Alaskan resident for 42 years. My significant archetypes are the waterwoman and the water-rooms.  At 3yo. I decided I would take a nap after I'd become tired of trying to swim to the dock in the middle of the lake.  Nearing the bottom, a woman who lived under the lake came to me.  She spoke to me, then swam me close to the surface & pushed me towards the sunlight.  My 11yo aunt grabbed me.
I've two strong occurences of her in 2 dreams within the last 12 month.  
She came to my *laundry room* with an old ragged man.  She sat silent as he read from a very long scroll.  I missed every word he said because I was distracted by the * wet naked woman.*   On every flat surface of her skin, there was a face.  Each face asked for many different things, similar to a saint w/many patrons.  At any rate I could go on about the personal connectiveness in his use of these attributes but most important is that for those of us who were *pinged* in subconcious memory of what our purpose might be, the film was very sucessful and the timing couldn't have been better.
MAGInation

Novelie

• Wide Awake

• Email
About it
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:19:23 AM »
When I saw every of his movies for the first time,
while the movies growind up in my mind.. im actually analysing
all, I u have it hard to follow , but u Catch how it will work, but
I say how is it gonna be shown..And each time I say , He cannot
show that , it wouldnt be a great shot..and each time ... Its
gorgeous , i would never tough it be shown that way .

Night is someone special with the ability to show others and share
how he see life in this 'speaciality'
ww.myspace.com/naomiband