Little Disappointed

Author Topic: Little Disappointed  (Read 8990 times)

Conclusius

• Praying with Anger

Little Disappointed
« on: July 22, 2006, 10:19:37 AM »
 Now, I'm no Night freak, but I do enjoy his movies, especially Signs. I like the twists, the plots, the acting, a lot of things about his films are unique and I respect that. But Lady in the Water definitely did not thrill me the way I expect.

First of all, what was with the sprinklers? That scared everyone in my theater the most! The thing that annoys me is he does about two or three times! Don't try the same trick twice man. Also, his ads are really, really misleading. He makes it look like a horror movie and it's not. My five year old cousin could probably go see it.

Also, the ending, in my opinion, was just plain bad. When the movie ended with the eagle flying away, I thought "Wtf?" Where was the huge twist (unless you count Reggie being the Guardian, but come on. You had to see that coming with all the other role changes (with the Guild and Interpreter)) and it's just inconclusive. If anyone here saw History of Violence, this ending and that ending are almost one in the same. Just not conclusive in the story at all. Now, my take on what M. Night should've done was do something along the lines of showing the future. Maybe making some fake news reports, talking about his assassination, the war ending (I assumed about his character's ideas and I think he wanted to end the war in Iraq), etc. Show that what Story said would come true, well, would come true.

Third, this may be my own fault because sometimes I didn't pay attention (I was making fun of it a lot. Come on, who didn't want Reggie to go all Darth Maul on the Skrunt at the end with that pool thing?), but was there any purpose to the Guild or Interpreter? Of course the Guild gave life back to Story, but why couldn't Heep (Heap?) just run out and throw Story into the pool right after M. Night's character saw her? Simple, fast, effective plan. Heep might have gotten scratched by the Skrunt, but can't he spare a little skin?

Finally, Story tells Night's character that a boy from "a far away land" will read his book and become inspired. He would someday become leader of "this land." If I remember correctly from Social Studies, an immigrant cannot run for presidential office in the US. And it sounds as though a "far away land" and this land" are talking about two far away countries, not like the boy lives away from them in the US somewhere. And they definitely live in the US, what with the news reports all speaking perfect English (no Brit accent or anything) and always talking about US troops.

Feel free to reply back and justify all my points. But remember people, don't get upset, it's a movie. And I liked it, besides the ending, so I'm not criticizing for the sake of criticizing.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
Little Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
 yeah...sorry bud but Night even said there wasn't going to be a big twist in this one. Also with the sprinklers, he isn't trying to scare you. I found it to be relieving until i found out what it meant. The movie is really tense for a little while and then you see the sprinklers go off, it scares a few people yeah but it just shows you how tense he keeps it and instead of pulling a stupid gimick that destroys the plot he decided to relieve some tension with sprinklers which i tought was wonderful. He uses comedy for the same device.Ok so theres a lot of tension building up in the audience and then somebody does something remotely funny and people laught, they look around and say, ok...we're alright. Also with the changing of the roles, think if the movie had been straight forward and they had gotten it right the first time...It could also Night be telling us to never give up. If we think we find our purpose but it goes wrong, don't stop looking, its still out there waiting for you. The universe will align.

The prophecy was that the guild would use their hands to assist the healer.

It seems to me like the Blue World isnt that large. So maybe the far away land could have been Kansas. They were in PA and the US is a very large country.

I'm glad you went about that nicely. So many jerks like to criticize just to make fun. But I have to admit, the little bit about Darth Maul made me laught.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

MNightFan430

• The Village

Little Disappointed
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 03:00:44 PM »
 I understand you didn't care for the movie as much, but that's okay.  Everyone has their own opinion.  

But your paragraph about how the movie was inconclusive kind of doesn't make sense.  If you think about it, you know Story has to get home right?  Did she get home?  Yes.  So the movie was concluded there.  The character roles were subplots.  The movie was indeed finding out who played what role, but it was for the purpose of helping Story getting home.  That's what the movie is about, getting Story back to the Blue World.  

Second, if you haven't seen "The Village" or it's advertisements, you might not understand this.  Someone told me that M. Night has no control of his theatre or TV ads.  He just tells them what he wants.  I could be wrong.  "The Village" was disappointing for most people because the ads made the movie look really scary, but it wasn't.  I knew it wasn't going to be that scary because it was M. Night's fourth movie and I know how he does his movies.  Same with "Lady in the Water", it was advertised as "horror", which it wasn't.  And you would think everyone would learn by now, how M. Night does his films.  But, wouldn't you want to advertise your movie as the best as possible to draw in the crowds?  I would.  Yes, it will cause the movie to be a bummer, but with all the crowds, the movie company is bringing in the money.

The sprinklers added effect to the movie, because the narf sets them off.  It's one of those effects of her being there, like how Cleveland doesn't studder around her.  I think the sprinklers kept the atmosphere as "real" as possible.  Sprinklers are everywhere.  So maybe after people watch this, they won't see oridnary objects, like pools, trees, or the sprinklers, the same.  I know I won't...

Finally, on your paragraph about why they didn't keep the movie simple and throw the narf in the pool and call it good is breaking the number one movie rule.  Every movie needs conflict.  That's what makes the movie.  He couldn't just simply throw her in the pool, because she was a madamme narf, every scrunt was trying to kill her no matter what.  That's the conflict.  It's like when you see scary movies and the characters always check where the sound came from, instead of calling the police.

One more thing, the part about the boy from far away was is possible.  I believe you have to be a U.S. resident for, I think, 25 years.  It can happen, especially since Story says he find the book at a young age.

I'm sorry you didn't care for the movie, but I enjoyed it and I did have my disappointments too.  Also, I can't wait to see M. Night's next film.  I know, it didn't end the way you wanted it to, but I think M. Night doesn't want ot have a signature of he has to do twists all the time on him.  Not everyone enjoys a twist.  I hope this helped you a little.  I did have fun typing it!
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

mimefingers

Little Disappointed
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 05:22:44 PM »
Just in case you're still wondering, Conclusius, the little kid Interpreter's job was to tell everyone what would happen that night and how. His talent was that he could look at cereal boxes and explain to you what message they had within them. So his purpose was to give all the vessals the low-down on the situation. Does that help?

By the way, I loved the move!!!

Conclusius

• Praying with Anger

Little Disappointed
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »

But your paragraph about how the movie was inconclusive kind of doesn't make sense. If you think about it, you know Story has to get home right? Did she get home? Yes. So the movie was concluded there. The character roles were subplots. The movie was indeed finding out who played what role, but it was for the purpose of helping Story getting home. That's what the movie is about, getting Story back to the Blue World.

I see your point, but at the end I just felt kind of "empty," like "I sat through the movie for an eagle?" You know what I felt would've been a better ending besides the one I mentioned? If Heep had married the Asian girl!  :P  Just kidding, lol.

Second, if you haven't seen "The Village" or it's advertisements, you might not understand this. Someone told me that M. Night has no control of his theatre or TV ads. He just tells them what he wants. I could be wrong. "The Village" was disappointing for most people because the ads made the movie look really scary, but it wasn't. I knew it wasn't going to be that scary because it was M. Night's fourth movie and I know how he does his movies. Same with "Lady in the Water", it was advertised as "horror", which it wasn't. And you would think everyone would learn by now, how M. Night does his films. But, wouldn't you want to advertise your movie as the best as possible to draw in the crowds? I would. Yes, it will cause the movie to be a bummer, but with all the crowds, the movie company is bringing in the money.

I did see the Village, but I thought that the ads lived up to it. I thought it was pretty scary. Scarier than his others, I would think so.

I would want my movie to seem good in an ad, but not make it look like a different kind of movie than what it really is. That's lying my friend, and audiences don't appreciate liars. Plus, with bad reviews and word of mouth, a movie that looks good but isn't will fail in the box office (maybe not fail, but won't do that great).

The sprinklers added effect to the movie, because the narf sets them off. It's one of those effects of her being there, like how Cleveland doesn't studder around her. I think the sprinklers kept the atmosphere as "real" as possible. Sprinklers are everywhere. So maybe after people watch this, they won't see oridnary objects, like pools, trees, or the sprinklers, the same. I know I won't...

Umm...I think the timers set off the sprinklers actually, lol. There's kind of a difference between setting sprinklers off and stopping his stuttering, don't you think? Plus, she's in the house both times they go off, so...yeah. The sprinklers don't go off when she goes out during the party at the end, so I don't think that's right.

Finally, on your paragraph about why they didn't keep the movie simple and throw the narf in the pool and call it good is breaking the number one movie rule. Every movie needs conflict. That's what makes the movie. He couldn't just simply throw her in the pool, because she was a madamme narf, every scrunt was trying to kill her no matter what. That's the conflict. It's like when you see scary movies and the characters always check where the sound came from, instead of calling the police.

It already had conflict, one that could have been solved quite easily. And when you say "every scrunt," I only saw one during every scene except when the Tartujik come.

I'd love to type more, but I'm going to a camp for a week. So don't type too much for me to handle!  :D

Specter

• Administrator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• NarniaFans
Little Disappointed
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
QUOTE (Conclusius @ Jul 22 2006, 10:19 AM)
First of all, what was with the sprinklers? That scared everyone in my theater the most! The thing that annoys me is he does about two or three times! Don't try the same trick twice man. Also, his ads are really, really misleading. He makes it look like a horror movie and it's not. My five year old cousin could probably go see it. [/quote]
 The ads are not fashioned by him.  I think that, after FOUR movies, we should all know what to expect from an M. Night film.  The commercials will always be misleading for his movies, but that's because he doesn't design the marketing of his films.

Typically, you sprinkle your lawns at night, because that's the best time to water your lawn.  He wasn't pulling the same trick time and again, it's just that the night scenes had sprinklers.  They also went off when the creature was around, and about to do something.

Conclusius

• Praying with Anger

Little Disappointed
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »
 Could he not have showed the pool area with the sprinklers already on? Both times they went off, I think you could either see the Skrunt or was anticipating it to show. Therefore, he pulled a trick.

okokokok

• LITW

Little Disappointed
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 07:08:44 PM »
 In reference to the boy who will grow up to be president, she says he grows up in the midwest, not a far away land.  

And as far as the empty feeling you at the end, that reminds me of how people feel about Unbreakable.  The wanted somekind of superhero ending, but that's not what the movie was about.  It was about someone realizing their place in the world.    

And why didn't he just throw her in the pool?  Because she didn't need to be in the pool, she needed to be ready for the eagle to pick her up.  

Also, there is not a difference in setting off sprinklers and stopping Cleveland from stuttering.  Him not stuttering is not explained, just as the sprinklers are not.  I don't think such things need to be explained given the presence of beings that are also unexplainable, especially when things like sprinklers going off are inconsequencial to what is happening in the story.  It's not reality, it's a fairytale. So you can understand the existence of a scrunt, but not understand these magical creatures from another world having strange effects on a foreign environment?  

And for the record, I was floored by the ending.  Floored.  SO amazingly perfect, I really can't believe that ending actually exists in this world.

MNightFan430

• The Village

Little Disappointed
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 07:19:17 PM »

Umm...I think the timers set off the sprinklers actually, lol. There's kind of a difference between setting sprinklers off and stopping his stuttering, don't you think? Plus, she's in the house both times they go off, so...yeah. The sprinklers don't go off when she goes out during the party at the end, so I don't think that's right.

In the book the narf's presence sets the sprinklers off.  If you haven't read it, then don't worry about!  I would've thought the same thing you did! ::D:

Wags

• The Happening

Little Disappointed
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 09:35:58 PM »
 A lot of movies these days have that kind of abrupt ending.  Even one of Paul Giamatti's other films, Sideways, ends with you wanting to know what happens.

And as for a more superhero ending for Unbreakable, all I can say is:
SHORTEST FIGHT EVER: DAVID DUNN vs ELIJAH PRICE.

okokokok

• LITW

Little Disappointed
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 11:39:21 PM »
 Does that mean you to wanted some kind of fight to happen or something at the end of Unbreakable, Wags?

SexualSuspect

• Praying with Anger

Little Disappointed
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 09:33:08 PM »
 Im glad there was no BIG twist in this movie
the movie was a straightforward  story . Just like signs it shows us the place and purpose we all have in this world.  I think the problem always lies when you go into something ( a movie or anything else) expecting something, you will always be dissapointed. that's what happend with the Village, everyone went in thinking it was going to be this BIG horror movie and were dissapponted to find out it was not so , and that blinded everyone to the real essence of the village, which was a wonderful and touching love story.  If you went into Lady in the water, with some expectation then you will miss the message and the beauty that is this film!,  in itself it stands as a lovely story, and it should not be taken for granted.

I think Unbreakable's ending was AMAZING!
it would have been so easy for Night to end it like a typical super hero movie, with one big fight between good and evil, but so what ?
how would that justify the whole purpose of the movie?

elijah just wanted to know his PURPOSE in life, thats why he did all he did, bc he needed to know WHO HE WAS. and he got it in the end.
the ending was perfect!
span style='color:purple'>"In this Dirty-minded world, you are either somebody's wife or somebody's whore- or fast on your way to becoming one or the other"

okokokok

• LITW

Little Disappointed
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 09:55:03 PM »
 I agree.

Aficionado73

• Praying with Anger

Little Disappointed
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
 I just saw "Lady" and I did not understand it at all  :( , thats why I am here to learn some info on it. I was sadden that I ddidn't understand it Because I am a HUGE M Night Fan...BUT I will go see it again. Something No One has mention is why Story's hair changes from red to blonde is it because she is dying? Is here life draining away? if you pay attention to the film the little boy says something about the cereal box making you feel happy but only makes him feel sad "like the time you forgot to pick me up from school". That part made me think that he was going to be the "Synbol" Man. I liked the Idea of a make believe world and make believe charachters but I feel that of all the movies he has done this is the weakest. For Me "The Villiage" was Amazing and "Signs" was Beautiful. The sixth Sence was Scary and Brilliant. and "Unbreakable" was good but done too soon. I think his best work is Sixth and Village. Oh and I also just saw the other night the fake documentary on him. It was good but you could tell it was made up.

MNightFan430

• The Village

Little Disappointed
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 02:59:50 AM »

Something No One has mention is why Story's hair changes from red to blonde is it because she is dying? Is here life draining away?

The reason for that was mentioned, it just wasn't verbal.  When Story noticed her hair was turning white she immediately went to look for water.  This is because she is a sea creature and needs to stay submerged to keep her strong.  I don't think she would die, just become weak.  It's like taking a fish out of water.

Also, you said you didn't understand the movie.  What do need explained?