As Much As I Loved It...

Author Topic: As Much As I Loved It...  (Read 8592 times)

Coryn

• Praying with Anger

As Much As I Loved It...
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:44:50 PM »
 As much as I enjoyed and loved Lady in the Water, did any of you feel like something was missing?  I was trying to explain it to my sister, but she didn't understand what I was trying to say.  I really find his work to always be a masterpiece . . . but I just can't figure out the thinkg that was missing from this.  The script was fine, the music was great, the acting and directing great also . . . I just don't know what wasn't there.  Anyone feel the same?

okokokok

• LITW

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:14 PM »
 Actually, I feel for the first time in any of his films, something is not missing.  

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:02:24 AM »
 Yeah I have to agree with Ok. He definately delivered...I could tell because I got those shivers everybody knows about when they see Night movies, about 8 times at least.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 11:39:01 AM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Jul 25 2006, 12:02 AM)
Yeah I have to agree with Ok. He definately delivered...I could tell because I got those shivers everybody knows about when they see Night movies, about 8 times at least. [/quote]
 i know what u mean , same here.

ive enjoyed this movie more than any ive seen for a long time

Coryn

• Praying with Anger

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »
 Maybe it's just me...actually not maybe, it probably is just me.  i really did like this movie a lot . . . I even did get goosebumps that i've had in all of his movies . . .I'll just see it again and maybe the emptiness will leave.

SexualSuspect

• Praying with Anger

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:12:24 PM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Jul 25 2006, 12:02 AM)
Yeah I have to agree with Ok. He definately delivered...I could tell because I got those shivers everybody knows about when they see Night movies, about 8 times at least. [/quote]
 u felt it too??!!!

those shivers are ALWAYS there with any Night movie, i love them!
span style='color:purple'>"In this Dirty-minded world, you are either somebody's wife or somebody's whore- or fast on your way to becoming one or the other"

leelee

• The Sixth Sense

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:25:55 PM »
 I felt that way too after my first viewing Coryn...I enjoyed it but I still felt like something was missing. but when I saw it the second time I completely loved every bit of it  :D  

Legolas

• The Sixth Sense

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
 The first time that I watched it, I felt like there was something missing as well.  I loved it, but something just wasn't there.  However, the second time that I watched it, I had the exact opposite feeling.  It was very fulfilling.  I think that Lady in the Water is a movie that is best the second time.

MasikaRain

• Praying with Anger

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 03:28:24 PM »
 I'm Coryn's sister that didn't understand what she was trying to say about LitW missing something, because I really loved the movie, I'm such an M. Night freak. But I also saw it twice in one day.  Ah what a great film! :D  
errill: They should be playing furry furry rabbit or tea party or something.
Graham: What's furry furry rabbit?
Merrill: It's a game, isn't it?

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 03:54:22 PM »
Quote from: "Legolas"
The first time that I watched it, I felt like there was something missing as well.  I loved it, but something just wasn't there.  However, the second time that I watched it, I had the exact opposite feeling.  It was very fulfilling.  I think that Lady in the Water is a movie that is best the second time.

I think your words are very wise,Legolas!I have to see it again,because I didn't get anything!
"Welcome to The Cove"

afi_village

• LITW

As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 04:28:24 AM »
i have only seen the movie once and i had the feeling too.

loved the movie, i got the shivers up my spine that i always get with his films, and i cried but to me it wasn't as complete as nights other films.  it had all the small quirky things in it, but it didn't all come together in the end if that makes sense...

like you know how in signs all of the glasses of water and the baseball bat 'swing away' and all the things the mum said before she died all tied together in the end...i didn't get that same feeling with this one.  like the pieces of the puzzle were there, they just hadn't been put together...

does that make any sense...?  did anyone get that feeling?
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

swiveltam

• Wide Awake

• Email
Re: As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »
I really did NOT find a thing missing and feel like this film gets better with each watching. I think it is a VERY cerebral film and a magical film. My kids and I watch this more than we watch Pirates or Potter. It falls into the catagory of "The Secret of Roan Inish," and "Princess Bride,"  "Stranger than Fiction." Perfect dialogue, interesting, original characters and original plot and plot devices. Brilliant. I love the way M. Nights mind works.

I wish you could pin-point this "missing" bit. Were you expecting something you didn't get? Did you think it would be scarier? I think a lot of people did. I might hazard a guess that people were expecting something scarier or weirder, not so family friendly?

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:55 PM »
Own the movie and have seen it at least 3-4 times altogether and I still think there is something missing at the end.  I know some movies dont need closure, but I really felt like LITW was overly open ended.  I really want to see peoples reactions the next day.  A quick 30 second scene where people are walking around the complex smiling at eachother not saying a word would be nice, everybody a little different than they were from before the Narf came to meet them.  Maybe Mr. Heep reading his diary?  That would be interesting.  I would like to see Reggie's other arm as big as his other one just because he was the guardian.  That would be kind of funny. ::) 
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Haha, I like your note about Reggie, I understand what you are saying Lifeordeath1, I just think it wouldn't quite have gotten that fairy tale ending to it if it had closed off to much.  I think, like all of Night's films, that there are many layers to them.  You think it's about Cleveland and the people at the apartment, which it is, but it is also about Story and how she learns to become a leader.  So when her job is done, she leaves, you know what will happen, so you don't need to see it.  It's like things are just beginning at the end of the film.  Cleveland Heep says that the reson rain is in movies is a sign of purification and things starting anew.  As the movie closes, you know who everybody is, Story is being carried away in the rain, everything is new.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
Good points.  Can you give me any examples of fairy tales that doesnt have an ending like that?  That doesnt nec. give any closure?  And the rain you were talking about, does Clevand say that?  I dont remember it.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan