As Much As I Loved It...

Author Topic: As Much As I Loved It...  (Read 8603 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: As Much As I Loved It...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 08:36:50 AM »
The biggest one that comes to mind is Ever After, yes they get married, and the mother and sister are sent to the royal laundry room, but after all that you've gotten I felt like it had a somewhat ambiguous ending.  Blast, I guess I shouldn't make a statment when I've only seen one or two fairy tales.  What are some movies that are fairy tales, I can't remember any.  Yes, Cleveland says it, after he goes out to meet the scrunt and then Mr. Farber shows up.  They talk about why people like to stand in the rain.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 09:11:48 AM »
Well, I guess I was kind of talking about real fairy tales, not fairy tale movies.  I guess I was thinking of all the old Disney movies of Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etfc. etc.  Im sure those had closure.

I kind of remember the rain conversation, but not a whole lot.  Guess I will have to re-watch it again! Hehe.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

swiveltam

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »
You have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I think you have a lack of closure in "Princess Bride," "The Secret of Roan Inish," "Whale Rider," etc. Those all seem more than fairy tales, more like folk-lore fairy tales. It's good to have open endings to add to, to keep the story going. If it's a regular fairy tale or a morality tale than you NEED the closure, but these stories do not. That's my take anyway.

I would also throw Miyazaki films although Anime are in the genre of fairy tale folk lore and although some things are resolved there is a lot that isn't. A good ending, is a GOOD beginning which I think LITW has. Plus, I like how self-conscious it is as well. I feel like I'm writing the story with the writer, hence the names of the characters like, "Story."

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
I just felt like Lady In The Water had enough closure, but was somewhat open ended.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 04:53:11 AM »
It's strange because I don't think the movie is open-ended at all.  The closure for me is when Cleveland thanks Story for saving his life.  This really is Clevelands' story to me, so when that happens, his story is done.  No questions that concern that story are left open ended.  That is, for Cleveland, we find out what happened in his past, and we see how he is saved and changed.  Anything that happens after that, in my opinion, is just information, and not part of the story that was being told.  And the through line for the movie, that is, everyone trying to get story home, is accomplished.  If someone is interested in knowing more about The blue world or what happens to other characters after where the movie ends, well, that's not what I would consider being open-ended.  Technically, every movie would be considered open ended-in that case, because you could always want to know what happened to characters the next day ya know?  Return of the Jedi is open ended because I wanna know what happens with Han and Leia the next day, you know, after they party with the Ewoks.  ET is open ended because I wanna know what ETs home is like and what he does when he gets there.  And what happens with Elliot, and his family, and the government?

If the movie had ended right after Cleveland saved Story, like she popped back up from the ground and then it faded to black, then credits rolled, that would be open ended I think, because the story they set up would not have been completed.

That's my opinion anyways.   

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 08:45:42 AM »
That's a good point, I guess it did have a closed end, it just wasn't as precise as his previous movies, though it was more like The Village's end.  I personally like it the way it ended, it ended how a fairy tale should end, with hope, and the looking forward to something new.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:26 AM »
Ok, okokokok, I def. see your points.  With E.T. though, you feel like everything has been accomplished, everything will be ok, but I didnt feel that way in LITW.  I guess when I wrote about seeing the next day, I guess I really dont have to, but... I guess...Hhhmmm. 

I guess the movie moved to quickly.  Your sitting in the theater, lights out, then all of a sudden you are quickly thrown into this story and it goes right by.  I guess it all just happened to fast.  You meet every tenant so fast, then Story pops up out of no where and your forced to believe it.  Dont get me wrong, its a fairy tale, but... I dont know, I cant really explain it.  Im gonna watch it again, the movie was crammed full of great information , but I think it just went by way to fast.
      M. Night Shyamalan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »
I guess the movie moved to quickly.  Your sitting in the theater, lights out, then all of a sudden you are quickly thrown into this story and it goes right by.  I guess it all just happened to fast.  You meet every tenant so fast, then Story pops up out of no where and your forced to believe it.

I can definitely see that Lifeordeath1.  Saying it moved too quickly is more understandable to me. 

Though, you are not forced into believing anything in my opinion.  Either you believe it or you don't.  And that has been the crux of some arguments with this film, and many films for that matter.  Suspension of disbelief right?  If the movie is made in a certain way, or depending on subject matter, or your likes or dislikes(or even your mood when you watch the film!), then there is chance you may or may not buy into it.  That's ultimately a question of any film.  On a side note, I think it is much more difficult with fantasy, and more specifically, magical realism, which I would classify this movie as.  I think it is easier to accept the ideas of, let's say, Lord of the Rings (I say lord of the rings because of how well it was accepted and because it is a wild fantasy) because it's not like it takes place in california in 2006.  It's completely made up, so you have less to question then you might if Aragorn was cutting off the heads of orcs in some random apartment building in downtown LA.  In Lady in the Water, this story is told in our contemporary world, so I think it's harder to break free from that realism when so many wild things start going down.  That's my opinion anyways.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
Nice outlook on that.  :)

I can def. say I went into the movie with great expectations!  Dont get me wrong, I still like the movie.   :)  I can remember the moment, I spent 3 hours in line!

I can really see your point about LOTR, but its also hard for me because that was such a closed ended movie, but I def. see your good outlook on how its more unbelievable and how LITW is set in a complex.  But I dont know, now that you said this, I am going to have to take another look at the movie again for the... manyith time.  Hehe. 

To tell you the truth, this conversation could carry on forever on this subject.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:29 AM »
okokokok, good point about LOTR, hey Lifeordeath1, how was the Lord of the Rings to closed at the end.  I loved it the way it is.  I can see how Lady In The Water moved too fast, kind of like he wanted to get to a certain point, but he needed new characters to get there.  I think also, all of Night's previous films, although containing a small amount of fantasy, are heavily based in reality.  I personally believe that there are ghosts, I could concieve of the idea of someone, maybe not so powerful as David Dunn, but somewhat like that, I don't discount the idea of aliens, there were people who tried to form communities that tried to get away from human society, and then Lady In The Water, which was still grounded in reality, but like okokokok said, that makes it hard to pull away from reality when the abnormal comes along.  Did that make any sense. ???

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
I meant that LOTR was closed ended.  It was final.  The ring was destroyed, everyone is done with their quest.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 08:38:01 AM »
Ahh, I get it, okay, thanks for that clarification. ;D

Ellemar

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 12:13:29 AM »
because I got those shivers everybody knows about when they see Night movies

I got those like crazy when I was watching Lady in the Water.
And you know what? I still manage to bawl like a baby everytime I see the scene where Mr.Heep heals Story ;____;

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
I only saw LITW once when it came out in theaters, and I didnt get anything deep from it. I'm sure it's there, I just didnt even catch any hints of anything like I have in all Shyamalan's other movies. I need to watch it again. It had some very touching scenes in it though at face value.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.