Worst Movie Ever

Author Topic: Worst Movie Ever  (Read 32416 times)

okokokok

• LITW

Worst Movie Ever
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 10:18:01 PM »
 Wether or not you gave a review elsewhere is about what are you hoping to gain or what is your point by doing this?  Why is what I'm curious about.  The opening thread has your same opinion, so it is represented actually.  I only have issues with you speaking for other people is all.  Not that you didn't like it.  It's so much more interesting to me that you have never written a review about a movie anywhere ever.  And then when you do, it's to talk about about a movie you didn't like at a site where people come to discuss a director they really appreciate. Do you prefer spending your time discussing and going over things you dislike rather then dealing with things you like? This site is lacking much criticism because it's an M Night website.  Thats is, a place that people most likely seek out because they are interested in him and his movies and wish to find more information and discuss him and his movies.  A place where people might like the way he does things, so it's more likely there would be less criticism.  Makes sense to me.  Doesn't mean we dont visit other sights and know how others feel.  Ofcourse, all are welcome, even those who think badly of M night and his films.  But this brings me back to my point of why?  I see a bad movie and I'm done with it.  If don't care for someones work, I don't go to their site.  I don't seek them out.  I'm not saying there shouldn't be a discussion of a movie if it isn't good. If I'm at work and people are talking about a movie I didn't like, I might discuss it then. But why SEEK OUT a place like this to register and then spend time writing first review ever!!?!? For me, that would be a tremendous waste of time.  Now if you had been a member here, it would be different because coming here to talk about his movies would be the norm.  It would be what you choose to do with your spare time, probably because you like him.  Hopefully this makes sense.  To repeat, I don't know what you hope to gain.  We have all read bad reviews.  Alot of people mention them in other topics.

As far as M Mnights role, I was pointing out that alot of people said what you said because of the very fact that so many with the same opinion does give the greivance more credibility.  That is why I said part of me wishes that someone else had played the role, so that all that those who had a problem with it wouldn't have a problem with it.  I wish that because I do give that opinion credibility.  It doesn't mean that it's the only opinion about that matter.  

If you know for a fact how every person in the audience you were with felt, that's another story.  I just didn't know that you knew exactly how ever single person in your audience felt.  I guess that's my bad.

I cry during the part where he heals story and talks about how he regrets not being able to help his family when they were murdered and how much he misses them.  It's also very moving to me that he does it in front of all those people and that all these people are coming together to help someone, even though the circumstances seem so insane.

I never said you should have joined first and made stuff up.  You have every right to join just to give a bad review.  It just comes across as suspicious.  If thinking something is suspicious makes me Hitler, then, well what does someone say to that exactly?  You didn't come here to make friends and talk about something that you have in common with others.  So my first thought is why do this.  

SignsAreGood

• Praying with Anger

what!?!?!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 07:48:02 PM »
all i have to say is, is it was a fantastic movie. not like any i have ever seen. also deaocamrith is a douche who doesnt know a good original movie when he sees one. and the audience you had, they all take it in the ass. so like the other dudes were saying why dont you and the audience all get together and watch the grudge  again.

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Worst Movie Ever
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 06:24:12 PM »
TO deaocamrith,

Well, not to be disrespect, but I think you sound like an fony person to me. And those audience that were watching the movie with you, they were just like you. so please stop bashing something that is more original.

People like you likes movies like 'BASIC INSTINCT' having graphic sex on the big screen and thats exactly how you like it. Movies are for educational purposes too, and M.Night's movies happened to be one of those EDUCATIONAL films.

Thank and have a nice day.
-Rohan

Rulm

• Twitter
Re: Worst Movie Ever
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm late but I want to be heard!!! Lol.

When I first watched this movie on the first day of release and the first showing, I loved it!!!...Time passes...I buy the DVD...I watch it...I then realize...It is NOWHERE as good as his others (Though, The Village was also disappointing). I had to wait for the fanboy in me to settle down in order to realize that I had MANY problems with this movie:

Cardboard characters (None of the characters seemed to have any real depth)
Stereotyped characters
Lack of scares and chills...Advertisement was WAY off!...Like The Village
MANY questions left unanswered
Confusing moments (A kid reading "prophesies" off cereal boxes!!!???)
Night casting himself as a writer who will change the world (ego got in the way)
The story seemed to be made up as the film progressed
Laughable moments when not intended (Tree monkeys!?)
A critic was killed (Obviously, Shyamalan's response to his critics...Bit childish)
Terrible pacing
Ending left me wondering if that was really it (ended abruptly)
No real "M. Night magic moment"

I am not saying it was terrible...It just seemed like Night didn't execute his ideas properly, therefore, his ideas seemed "half baked".
By far, my least favorite Night film...This is, of course, my opinion.

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 12:21:02 AM »
That's interesting.  I've spoken to many people about it, and they say how much they didn't really like it at first, but that it's growing on them.  I think, though, that each of your problems with the film could be discussed and probably explained somewhat easily.

For instance: "seemed made up as the film progressed..."

That is basically because it was derived from a bedtime story, where I am sure Night did make it up as he told it.  Watching it with the idea that, yes it is a bedtime story, it really helps to put yourself in the proper place to listen to the storyteller.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 02:42:43 AM »
That's interesting.  I've spoken to many people about it, and they say how much they didn't really like it at first, but that it's growing on them.  I think, though, that each of your problems with the film could be discussed and probably explained somewhat easily.

For instance: "seemed made up as the film progressed..."

That is basically because it was derived from a bedtime story, where I am sure Night did make it up as he told it.  Watching it with the idea that, yes it is a bedtime story, it really helps to put yourself in the proper place to listen to the storyteller.
I see where you are coming from, but a bedtime story is TOLD and a movie is SEEN. That is why I had a problem with it; SHOW don't TELL. The movie did have some great aspects to it though, such as it's cinematography and amazing musical score. It was unfortunate that I didn't like it as much as I was anticipating.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 10:06:20 AM »
I was anticipating this movie since when I first heard about it.  I went with my sister and a friend to the opening showing at the nearest theater.  I loved the movie.  Yes, there were a few weak points, but everything else outweighed them by far.  I disagree though, I think most of the characters were deep.  Shyamalan used each one to make a different point.  I think the movie is beautiful, and some parts do make me cry.  The ending, look at the rest of Shyamalan's films, they do end sortof abruptly.  I like that though.  I want a story, not just a scary movie, if that comes along with the film, then great, but otherwise I want a good story, which is why I don't like most action films.  Notice that Shyamalan doesn't do many interviews or have comentatries on his films.  In Lady In The Water, his character was sort of him speaking back to everyone that bashes him, each of his movies have a point.  Also, the movie critic, I felt like he represented all those people who have a preconceived notion about the way the world should be, to steal a line from Unbreakable, "Real life doesn't fit into little boxes made for it."  You can't predict the way things are going to turn out in the world, you can only anticipate. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 11:00:01 AM »
i know it's late in the thread, but i just find this all really interesting and i think it's important not to just discount things people are saying because you don't agree with them.  puterart wrote a very well thought out review of the movie and backed up their reasons for disliking this film, which to me seems like a more valid and worthwhile post then writing pages of 'like, i love it, lol.'

did people even read those opinions?  i would like to hear peoples responses to this because quite frankly a lot of it did make sense.  i'm a die hard night fan, you should have seen my fangirl moment i had when i met rory culkin just because he was in signs.  i worship this director, but to be honest looking back on this film there were a lot of things that i really don't like.  i tried to ignore them or make dozens of excuses about why it's ok and it's original.  but it was just cause it was a night film.

ask yourself this.  if this movie was directed by some unknown first time director would you praise it as much as you are?  i feel like a lot of you are going to jump in and say yes without really thinking. maybe it is better for people not to think too hard about it and suck all the magic they have for the film out.

what i want is some indisputable evidence as to why this film is a masterpiece, and since that seems like a very unlikely thing to happen i would like to hear some solid opinions.  i don't mean to sound like a @#$%& or anything with this post, it just really disturbs me how much i'm finding that i don't like this movie.  i don't know if i can really say i love all m night films anymore and that's scary to me.  please help if you can.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 02:33:36 PM »
Wow,  that's deep. I completely agree, though. I love Night's earlier work, and I really can't understand what has happened to him lately. He can't blame the media--he's very secretive, he can't blame the script--he writes them, and he can't blame the studio's--they give him what he needs for his films, even Disney tried to help him out by asking him to rework his Lady in the Water script, but he didn't. Why? They just wanted to help him. I still have faith that Night will create something else that will blow me away. He needs to dig deep inside him and pull out a masterpiece. If he could execute his spiritual, and ethical ideas as well as he did with his first 3 thrillers, he would make a comeback. One more thing...No more acting! He was REALLY distracting in Lady in the Water. I enjoy his cameo appearances, but seeing him in an actual role--especially one that basically places him as the next Jesus Christ, doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help the fans, and it doesn't help him.

That being said, he is a fantastic director, but a script is arguably the most important part of a movie. If he needs help executing his ideas, he should collaborate with a professional writer. He just needs to learn to ask for help when he needs it--that doesn't make him a worse filmmaker. I still believe in him...Let's just hope that The Happening works out. :-X

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 02:35:24 PM »
I know I really like it.  One reason is because I like story of action and flashy stuff, that's one reason why I like.  Two-Yes it is made by Shyamalan so I like it for that reason.  Three-Excellent acting, Shyamalan and his casting directors make great choices on who to cast.  Four-Filming style-his filming style is so unique, precise, clear-cut, very clean.  Five-The realistic nature of his films and characters-yes the stories are somewhat far fetched, but the way everyone acts, some people say Jane Austen is a very good writer because she understood the way humans acted, I fell the same way about Shyamalan.  Those are the reasons I can think of right now, I'll probably come up with a few later.  And yes, I did read everyone elses posts and studied them.

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 11:07:17 PM »
Five-The realistic nature of his films and characters-yes the stories are somewhat far fetched, but the way everyone acts, some people say Jane Austen is a very good writer because she understood the way humans acted, I fell the same way about Shyamalan. 

i do agree with this point.  but at the same time i didn't feel the character development in litw was as strong as his other films.  after watching it a few times i don't feel a connection with them the way that i did with his others, which is always what i loved most about his movies.  i don't know, maybe i should watch it again i haven't seen it in a while.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 03:43:52 AM »
Five-The realistic nature of his films and characters-yes the stories are somewhat far fetched, but the way everyone acts, some people say Jane Austen is a very good writer because she understood the way humans acted, I fell the same way about Shyamalan. 

i do agree with this point.  but at the same time i didn't feel the character development in litw was as strong as his other films.  after watching it a few times i don't feel a connection with them the way that i did with his others, which is always what i loved most about his movies.  i don't know, maybe i should watch it again i haven't seen it in a while.

I've seen Lady in the Water 5 times, so far...It doesn't get any better. There was NO character development with most of the characters...Do any of Story's magical army change at all? No. They just went along with this "bedtime story" without asking questions and without having any meaningful opinions or dialog. How could they believe something so ridiculous? Because of the "pins and needles" feeling? C'mon! The only thread of development, if it could even be considered that, was Cleveland...But it was so minor, I didn't notice it until I thought about it after the film was over. It's an o.k film at best. Many fans will hate this statement...and that's a problem. Until fans realize that this film has many issues, and until they stop believing it's such a masterpiece, they will continue to have that veil over their eyes, shielding them from the truth; mediocrity.  Night is a true talent. I just hope he could get it back together.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »

I've seen Lady in the Water 5 times, so far...It doesn't get any better. There was NO character development with most of the characters...Do any of Story's magical army change at all? No. They just went along with this "bedtime story" without asking questions and without having any meaningful opinions or dialog. How could they believe something so ridiculous? Because of the "pins and needles" feeling? C'mon! The only thread of development, if it could even be considered that, was Cleveland...But it was so minor, I didn't notice it until I thought about it after the film was over. It's an o.k film at best. Many fans will hate this statement...and that's a problem. Until fans realize that this film has many issues, and until they stop believing it's such a masterpiece, they will continue to have that veil over their eyes, shielding them from the truth; mediocrity.  Night is a true talent. I just hope he could get it back together.
Wow, hold on a minute Rulm, people enjoy different types of movies, that is why art is so far reaching, it can touch everyone in different ways.  You may not think Lady In The Water is very good, but other people do, unless you have a predetermined scale, created by unbiased people (hard to find) you can't judge other people's choices of what they like.  I got yelled at by some people the other day because I do not consider screamo music-music.  But, that is my opinion.  With the characters just going along with Story, that is her effect upon them, and they don't even realise it.  Remember Mr. Leeds character, I feel like he represents those people who want to believe in something more but are afraid to because there is no empiracal evidence to support that.  Yes, some of the characters are noth fleshed out, did you notice the ones that were-those who were some of the final people, the central characters.  He set it up, Reggie keeps showing up but aparently isn't one of the different people, that is until the end.  Those are my thoughts.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »

Wow, hold on a minute Rulm, people enjoy different types of movies, that is why art is so far reaching, it can touch everyone in different ways.  You may not think Lady In The Water is very good, but other people do, unless you have a predetermined scale, created by unbiased people (hard to find) you can't judge other people's choices of what they like.  I got yelled at by some people the other day because I do not consider screamo music-music.  But, that is my opinion.  With the characters just going along with Story, that is her effect upon them, and they don't even realise it.  Remember Mr. Leeds character, I feel like he represents those people who want to believe in something more but are afraid to because there is no empiracal evidence to support that.  Yes, some of the characters are noth fleshed out, did you notice the ones that were-those who were some of the final people, the central characters.  He set it up, Reggie keeps showing up but aparently isn't one of the different people, that is until the end.  Those are my thoughts.

Yeah, I know I'm being very harsh on this movie, and I apologize for that, but it is not to bring anyone down, it's just that I KNOW Night could do much better. The thing is, I want to know WHY. Why do people love it? I can't get a definitive answer. Movies with no character development could actually be very good (The Mist)...But because Night's films rely heavily on character when there is no scares and such (especially this particular one), it is VERY important to have character development...And Lady in the Water does not. He could do better--much better. Look at all his past films; all have great character development--Even The Village! Which is why I didn't hate it. If The Village had characters like those in Lady in the Water...It would have failed miserably, because The Village didn't have much else going for it. Yes, this is my opinion, but it is an opinion I back up with facts. Again, it's not to bring anyone down, heck, I'll LOVE IT if someone could prove me wrong by providing me with their perspective. And bias I am not; if I was, I would have loved this movie like the others, because I am a fan of Night. I do respect what everyone is saying. I just wish it was convincing.

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 07:46:57 AM »
i know it all comes down to opinion in what people consider good and bad, and really when analyzing art that shouldn't be your main priority anyway.  i just don't feel this film wasn't up to nights usual standard. 

to me it was like he planted a lot of small details that seemed very random, which he does in all his films.  the difference is that in his other movies they all tie up nicely at the end and make you go OH MY GOD, signs is the one that really stands out to me.  every detail is completely vital to the plot, even if you don't realize when you watch it the first time.  litw didn't do that, there were a lot of small things that were not addressed again.  there were details that just confused the plot rather then add to it. 

it just made a very choppy, incohesive plot for me to watch.  when i saw it for the first time i felt as though maybe there were scenes that had to be cut for time reasons, but there's no mention of that on the dvd...

i would still like some answers in how people would view the film if nights name was not attached.