Worst Movie Ever

Author Topic: Worst Movie Ever  (Read 33648 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Worst Movie Ever
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
I wish Shyamalan would put commentaries on his films, it would be so much more helpful.  I think Shyamalan made Lady In The Water for the fans, it has a slightly different style then his previous films, a little more mellow, so lush, intensly beautiful.  Yes, there are many weak points, there isn't too much character development and it does appear that there are random details just thrown in.  I think it was designed to give hope to people.  Mr. Leeds, all he did was sit there, his son was over in Iraq, if I remember correctly?, he needed something to hold onto, all the people in the complex were hiding from something, that or they had no hope.  War is constantly in the background of the movie, Bob Dylan songs are playing, Story gives hope and courage to all those people, showing them that there is more to this world then they realise. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 03:43:38 PM »
I agree with the commentary thing. If Night provided some kind of commentary in the end, it may have answered many questions. OR...What if he made the movie with narration!?...Like a real bedtime story! That may have also been a good idea that, again, will answer questions, and it may have provided more depth to the characters since he just needs to talk about them every now and then.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Yea, some notes would be helpful, I need to go back and reread that book about him and the Lady In The Water process, by Michael Bamberger ( I think I spelled his name right).  That was an interesting book.

springheeledjack

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »
The thing about Lady in the Water is that it is a film that takes a chance in modern day.  It is complex and tells many stories, and it is the kind of story that speaks to the heart.  It is about hope and working together, and those are ideals that many people have come to cannot face without some sort of negative response:  it is sappy, sentimental, etc. and so people like to trash such things, because to acknowledge the truth and power of such a concept, movie, idea is to have to believe again.

So, I don't have any harsh words for people who don't like this movie...it is hard to get involved emotionally in a movie these days because people are used to amazing stunts, explosions, and 4 kills per minute.  It's hard to step out of that and settle in to a calm, quiet piece that is powerful, emotionally and spiritually.

I loved this movie (in case you hadn't guessed), and I think it is one that will be recognized further along in history for what it is.

Thanks for getting this one made!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 12:49:28 PM »
Well said, and also some good points.  I am one of the few people out there who does not go for action in movies, one of the reasons why I did not like Transformers.

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
i agree with what people are saying about the concept of the film.  the ideas and messages are really strong and could have made for an amazing film.  but i think litw had serious execution problems, when most of the people who watch the movie don't even pick up on the meaning then there is some sort of problem there.

and no...i don't think i'm attracted to action/special effects movies.  the village is my favourite movie, so if anything litw had more special effects.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
Yea, it's too bad, some people just don't get it.  O well, I know I really like it.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 04:37:25 AM »
i know it's late in the thread, but i just find this all really interesting and i think it's important not to just discount things people are saying because you don't agree with them.  puterart wrote a very well thought out review of the movie and backed up their reasons for disliking this film, which to me seems like a more valid and worthwhile post then writing pages of 'like, i love it, lol.'

did people even read those opinions?  i would like to hear peoples responses to this because quite frankly a lot of it did make sense.  i'm a die hard night fan, you should have seen my fangirl moment i had when i met rory culkin just because he was in signs.  i worship this director, but to be honest looking back on this film there were a lot of things that i really don't like.  i tried to ignore them or make dozens of excuses about why it's ok and it's original.  but it was just cause it was a night film.

afi_village, I did respond to puterart's review.  Did you read my response?  I addressed his opinions. My issue wasn't with how a person feels about a movie for themselves, but when they speak for an entire audience, that's quite annoying.  That person spoke for entire audience a few times, and not just the audience he saw it with, but anyone who saw the movie anywhere.  Otherwise, his grievances were legitimate, for himself.  Everyone reacts differently to what they see and hear, art or not, but specifically art.  He gave 3 instances of things he did not like: 

1. The general idea that the movie was not good concerning storyline and content.  "The story seemed flimsy" with examples.  The 1st example I wasn't clear on if he had a problem with characters becoming irrelevant after Cleveland realized what he had done wrong (as far as going by what the critic was telling him about who is what in a story), or if he was bothered by the quickness of Cleveland's revelation.  If it's the former, well that seems to be one of the themes of the film.  The idea I think is he shouldn't have blindly listened to an unimaginative jerk of a critic who only knows how to categorize things one way...and he critiques art, nice.  If it's the latter, well puterarts personal opinion would be that it was just made up as an easy way out.  Didn't come across that way to me.  So, difference of opinion.
The 2nd example was "The kid misreading the cereal box seemed like an easy way out of a story falling apart".  If he thinks that Cleveland being the "healer" was an easy way out, there is no argument that would suffice.  Clevelands whole character is about being a healer from frame one.  And if he doesn't like that Cleveland wasn't identified as the healer initially, well I'm guessing the writing situation there is that Cleveland had to be reluctant to be the healer and it works better that he submits to his true calling at that moment then at any other time in the movie.  I think it works well.

2.The critic being killed.  You like it or you don't.  It's like anything. What puterart said about the critic character is true, but it's not just about being a close minded know it all film critic, it's about being close minded, dispassionate, and just plain unimaginative.   And technically I don't think he stepped outside the movie when he started talking about what was going to happen, I think he was just talking out loud to calm himself and take control of the situation, which happens in movies.  It was much more dynamic (and funny to me) here though because he was going on and on and talking very specifically about things he sees in movies.  I loved it.  It's very common to kill off characters in stories(movies and literature) that are the vessels for negative themes and ideas.  I think it works here because this is a fantasy/fairytale sort of a movie.  I love the mixing of genres in this film.  It wasn't revolting to me at all.   

3.  That M Night cast himself as someone who writes something that would inspire someone to do great things.  This does not effect story line or content, but casting.  I addressed this before.  I love M Night in this role.  I wish he didn't play it though so other people didn't have such an issue with it. 

Also, I don't know how to respond to this:

what i want is some indisputable evidence as to why this film is a masterpiece, and since that seems like a very unlikely thing to happen i would like to hear some solid opinions.

Art is not quantifiable.  2+2 does not equal a masterpiece.  There is no such thing as indisputable evidence for why any piece of art is a masterpiece.  In the end it does not matter what other people think, only what you think.  If you don't like it, you don't like it.   But if somehow you like it because of what someone else says, then what does that mean?  Worse even, if you don't like it because what others say?  This movie was profoundly moving to me.  I was lost in it...right out of the gate with the cave drawing animation.  Where other people find weaknesses in this film, I find strengths.  I think every facet of the film, filmmaking wise, is great, not perfect, but great....writing, directing, acting, cinematography, everything.  What I liked most was the sense of community and hope in this film.  I love how everyone followed along this crazy idea out of a sense of community and appreciation of Cleveland and desire to believe in something.  I love Heeps character, it really drives the story for me.  I feel so much for him, even before I knew what happened to his family.  The fear in his voice when he thinks someone may be drowning in the pool at the beginning spoke volumes to me as far as character depth.  And when The Great Eatlon comes I'm just like, "I know they said this would happen, but I can't believe this is happening" and I actually believe.  And the ending is like the best ending of all time.  There is no more that needs to happen.  Story accomplished her mission and Cleveland is saved and restored.  So perfect. 

If this means anything,  I went to school for film.  I love all of M nights movies passionately, except for The Sixth Sense.  Aside from M Night  movies, here are some of my favorite movies...Magnolia, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Fight Club, The New World, Star Wars in general, Adaptation, The Thin Red Line, Moulin Rouge, Lord of the Rings, many more but I could say those are all at the top.....more recently Zodiac and There Will Be Blood were my favorites of this last year.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »
Well said, I coudn't agree with you more, you took some of my very words out of my mouth.  Art is in the eye of the beholder, no there are a few standards you can hold it too, but not many.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »
I'm as big of an M.Night fan as there is, and he is definitely my favorite director to this day.  I pattern my own movies off of his in some ways, and love his maverick views about stupid film critics (snobs) and those who don't like his films just because they're HIS films. 

However, that being said, I did not at all like LITW, and when the movie ended, my wife (also a big fan) and I just looked at each other, and burst out laughing.  I can appreciate what M. Night was trying to do, and I'll never bash anybody for liking the film.  But I also won't accept the "you don't get it" argument from those that do.  I "get" what he was trying to do, and like I said, I can appreciate that he tried to put his vision out there.  It's too bad he got crucified for it, but thank goodness it didn't kill his career as some "haters" were hoping for.  However, at the end of the day (or rather, the end of the movie), I just didn't care for the film, and thought he was stretching the boundries of even sci-fi/fantasy credibility with some of the stuff he tried to portray.  That's not to demean those who liked it, but please don't be as obnoxious as all the M.Night haters who say everything he does is garbage, by saying people who don't like it must have missed something or don't "get it".  I've never met anybody personally who DID like the movie, and all these people are also fans of his earlier movies. 

Just because I'm a huge M.Night fan, doesn't mean I'm automatically giving everything he does a pass.  He slipped up in my opinion with LITW, but that doesn't mean I'm any less excited about The Happening.  Just something to consider....  (and it's certainly far from the worst movie ever... that would probably go to The Fountain!)
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 03:34:59 PM »
I completely agree with you! I think you summed-up what I have been trying to say for a long time. Though, I have to say, I don't know about The Fountain being the worst movie ever...My vote would go to House of the Dead...Now that's a train wreck.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:28 PM »
I completely agree with you! I think you summed-up what I have been trying to say for a long time. Though, I have to say, I don't know about The Fountain being the worst movie ever...My vote would go to House of the Dead...Now that's a train wreck.

As I just posted in the thread here about The Fountain, as much as I dislike the movie (which is pretty strongly), I know it's not really the worst movie ever.  Almost any movie I've ever seen on MST3K would be worse, though maybe not as mind numbing (at least I'd laugh in those).  I'll make sure to avoid House of the Dead though now, so thanks for the heads up!  ;)
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »
I have never used the "you don't get it" excuse ever.  I hate that.  But something has to be said about when someone looks at something and they like it, and someone looks at the same exact thing and are confused or don't like it.  I'm not talking about something as whole as the movie, but specific elements or ideas that people like or don't like or whatever.  I am going to quote some examples of Rulms here because he was specific.

MANY questions left unanswered
Confusing moments (A kid reading "prophesies" off cereal boxes!!!???)
Laughable moments when not intended (Tree monkeys!?)

From my standpoint, any questions left unanswered have nothing to do with the story M Night was trying to tell.  How is that explainable?  How is it that the movie is completely fulfilled for me at the moment it ends, specifically the way and when it ends, and for someone else there are questions unanswered that have significance?  I won't say they didn't get it, never have, but what do you say to that?  The kid reading prophecies off of cereal boxes was not any more confusing to me than the fact that someone was a guardian or a healer.  Tree Monkeys laughable, but Eatlons and Narfs ok?  How do you explain that it is confusing to one person and not to another? I use these examples because they are specific to my point.   

Ending left me wondering if that was really it (ended abruptly)
No real "M. Night magic moment"

These 2 things are completely contradictory to me.  The ending is a magic moment to me!  How is this explainable?  Someone may get what a writer or director was trying to do, but what happens when that person is completely underwhelmed and/or confused, and someone else is deeply and profoundly affected?  Which one of those reactions does anyone think M Night was trying to evoke?  I am trying to spark a conversation about how people react to movies, and also about how they try to discuss how they feel about what they saw, which are 2 different things.  I'm hoping it is an ongoing conversation, and not any one reply to try and win some kind of argument, not that that has happened yet.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 09:32:51 AM »
Allright, okokokok, I need a bit to think about what you said.  DILanator, I think some people just do not get it, some of those people I have talked to, others do and still don't like it, which is fine.  I thought it was great but that is my PERSONAL opinion.  I liked The Fountain, and I think just about the worst movie ever is Napoleon Dynamite, now maybe that's because I never went to school, I'm homeschooled, but I still didn't like it.  There are some other horrible movies out there too, I just try not to remember them.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »
Allright, okokokok, I need a bit to think about what you said.  DILanator, I think some people just do not get it, some of those people I have talked to, others do and still don't like it, which is fine.  I thought it was great but that is my PERSONAL opinion.  I liked The Fountain, and I think just about the worst movie ever is Napoleon Dynamite, now maybe that's because I never went to school, I'm homeschooled, but I still didn't like it.  There are some other horrible movies out there too, I just try not to remember them.

A little off-topic, but you were/are homeschooled?  That's awesome!  I was homeschooled my entire K-12, and I wouldn't trade that in for anything!  I've been out of school for about 12 years now, but it was a good time, and a good education, and certainly has prepared me for the rest of my life very well.

Back on-topic, I think another problem I had with LITW is that it drifted too far into the Fantasy genre, of which I am not a fan.  Sci-fi, supernatural thriller, that's more my cup of tea, and that's why I like movies like Signs and The Village so much.  Even though they aren't really movies about aliens or monsters in the woods, they use that vehicle to tell their story, which I enjoy.  LITW definitely goes off on a more Fantasy path, and I just don't go for those movies much.  I liked the Lord of the Rigns movies only after some time, and I loathe The Neverending Story.  More like the Neverending nightmare! lol!  Obviously, you won't be seeing me in a theatre watching The Spiderwick Chronicles.  So that again goes back to personal preference, and I don't happen to like movies where we're supposed to accept things like kids reading prophecies off of cereal boxes.  That just doesn't wash in my book.  I must say as well, that I've haven't talked to anybody I know, who liked the movie either, and it didn't do too well at the box office, so clearly my take on the movie was not in the minority.

What seperates my view though from the common ones on places like the IMDB message boards (also not as the Shymalan "hater" boards), is that I can accept that some people enjoyed LITW, and that M.Night wasn't completely off his rocker to make the movie.  It was a bedtime story he told his neices and nephews (I believe that was the story), and he decided to make it into a movie.  It proved to have only fringe appeal, and for all intents and purposes flopped, and damaged his credibility with the mainstream production companies a little.  However, if some people liked the movie, like some of you here, then he did not waste his time on the movie.  It's no Signs or The Sixth Sense, but not every director hits it out of the park every time. 

As much as I didn't care for the movie a first time, I do think that I will watch it again at some point, and give it another chance to grab me.  Don't hold your breath on that happening, but at least I'm willing to give it another shot... unlike The Fountain!  :D 

I'm a "Signs" person.