Can Shyamalan Play Quidditch?

Author Topic: Can Shyamalan Play Quidditch?  (Read 6660 times)

C_desai

• Praying with Anger

« on: July 28, 2006, 06:22:33 PM »
 Can Shyamalan play Quidditch?

rediff Entertainment Bureau | July 28, 2006 15:05 IST

M Night Shyamalan isn't done just yet.

Despite all the critic flak following his latest release Lady In The Water, Shyamalan is still an A-list director -- and potentially the man helming a future Harry Potter production.

While Lady made a disappointing $25 million in its first week in the US, the film certainly isn't a flop. It cost nearly $60 million, half the budget of most major studio releases. Once overseas and DVD revenues are added in, the film is likely to make a small profit.

A flop or two often forces prominent directors to recapture box office glory with a bigger film. Steven Spielberg, for example, followed The Color Purple and Empire Of The Sun with the mammoth Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. British magazines are abuzz with the speculation that Shyamalan, currently hoping for better reviews abroad, wants to take on a Harry Potter film.

In London to promote Lady In The Water, Shyamalan told ComingSoon.net that a Potter film was on the cards.

"You know, that Harry Potter dance has gone on a long time. The problem is that it is a living breathing thing now, all by itself. When it comes over to my camp, it needs to be kind of handed over, adoption papers and everything. That's a tricky move."

He also revealed that the first Harry Potter film, The Philosopher's Stone (eventually directed by Chris Columbus) was offered to him. But that conflicted with his Unbreakable. "I would definitely look into directing a Harry Potter film, but I think probably before that I would adapt a book. I've gotten close a few times to adapting books,"

One hopes Shyamalan, ever so secretive of his scripts, knows that Harry Potter author JK Rowling has final approval of every screenplay based on her bestselling books.

The director might also have the last laugh on Disney production chief Nina Jacobson. Jacobson turned down the Lady In The Water script, but ghosts of awful flops she had greenlit over the years (The Alamo, among others) returned to haunt her. Jacobson was unceremoniously given the boot a couple of weeks ago when Disney cut over 600 jobs worldwide.

from: http://ia.rediff.com/movies/2006/jul/28night.htm?q=mbp&file=.htm' target='_blank'>http://ia.rediff.com/movies/2006/jul/28nig...q=mbp&file=.htm

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 06:31:03 PM »
 Thanks for the news!
This Harry Potter thing has been creating some small buzz over the past couple weeks, and has certainly peaked my interest. I personally think 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' is the best of the 4 films. That film was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, a director who shares some similarities in style with Shyamalan and was also rumored the helm the 'Life of Pi' project after night decided to leave it. This is all quite interesting, and every time someone brings it up, I get more excited about the possibilities.

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:08:20 PM »
 Hmm very interesting.But I don't think he would do a project like this.
ww.freewebs.com/hacproductions

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »
 I think he would!!!
See...tell him to see...  Tell Merrill to swing away.

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 09:22:31 PM »
 Why? (not being a jerk but just wondering why lol)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:25:40 PM »
 he keeps on bringing up the fact the he turned down the first one. obviously he's thinking about the series on some level. plus his new home is at WB (hopefully still, after this whole lady thing blows over), they wanted him for the first one, maybe they're thinking of him for one of the last two. thats the rumor at least.

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 10:53:25 PM »
 I saw an interview about how the themes in Harry Potter are among his favorites.  He strongly believes in what JK Rowling has to say.  He loves the idea of Harry Potter and I believe it would be more magical if M. Night could do it, especially after pulling off "Lady in the Water".

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »
 Well he actually only wants to do the last movie

MNightFan430

• The Village

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 11:28:46 AM »
 I know... :D

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »
am i the only one thinking that neither jk rowling or m night would give up creative control over the movie...i really hope he doesn't do it.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

M. Night Girl

• Wide Awake

Re: Can Shyamalan Play Quidditch?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 12:24:54 AM »
Yeah, I read that. It would be cool if he directed one of them....but I don't know...he might ruin it. I don't think his style would fit Harry Potter.