Pirating

Author Topic: Pirating  (Read 3038 times)

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
Pirating
« on: July 29, 2006, 11:39:47 AM »
 It seems like Night himself has a gaurdian when it comes to Lady being Pirated and put online. My friend who is also a huge Night fan checked to see if Lady in the Water was pirated yet (and if so he was going to try to bring it down) but it turned out somebody got there before him. Somebody else brought down the pirated version off the internet, I have no idea if this is still the case but I would like to shake that persons hand. I for one am strictly against DL illegal movies, and I think it's cool that there are fans out there bold enough to take down the criminals.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

okokokok

• LITW

Pirating
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 07:28:20 PM »
 I have a question. Firstly, I dont have the movie.  But let's say that I saw it in the theater like 6 times. Then, when it was gone from theaters, I downloaded the movie, and didn't share it with anyone.  And then bought the dvd the first day it came out.  How would you feel about someone who did that?

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Pirating
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 09:59:02 PM »
 I still feel it is wrong. I am a firm believer that film makers deserve every penny they make, especially for the films that change lives. To me it is a sacred art, one that is worth protecting.

~Dr.Hill42

okokokok

• LITW

Pirating
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 11:34:44 PM »
 I believe as you do for the most part. I don't believe just film is a sacred art though.  I think all art is the same, sacred or not.  But do you see my point?  If I can't see the movie at all lets say, its completely out of the theater.  And I have payed to see the movie like 6 times, many more times then any filmmaker could hope for people to pay to see their film, and I purchase the DVD the day it comes out.  In between when the movie is gone from theater and when it goes to DVD, there isn't place for more money to go them, do you see?  It would be when it was completely unavailable to someone to spend money on it if they wanted to.  And, in that situation, the person wouldn't be spending any less money then if they didn't download it.  I'm not trying to fight you, cause I mostly agree as I said, but there is a grey area there for me.  I think you will have the same answer, but I just wanted you to make sure you understood what I was saying.  If the artist doesn't lose any money, or any future money, how do you feel about it then? I think it is an interesting question myself.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

Pirating
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 11:55:09 AM »
 Yes I completely understand where you are coming from. I do see that grey area, and it is does seem rather harmless but there is a downside to even that. If anybody download an illegal version of the movie or buys a pirated version from a vender you are still encouraging the process, which may encourage the piraters to steal more, for your business, or download, which ever the case may be. And illegal purchase of a pirated movie is hurting the business, one way or another, large or small scale. And that is what I really want to fight.

~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Pirating
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 06:10:10 PM »
 okokokok It's a tricky subject, but I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. You are a devoted fan, it's quite clear. Downloading a sh*ty copy of a film isn't so bad, in this case. Piraters don't make a profit from this way of sharing the movie (usually).However, Dr. Hill does make a point.
It is a grey area, and I'd much rather internet pirating would disappear totally, as Im sure you'd probably would too. It is hard to resist though, isn't it? I must admit that I watched someone's downloaded copy of The Village. But between me and that person we saw The Village 6 times in theaters (draging different people along each time lol) and together we own 3 copies of the DVD. Plus Posters, CD Soundtracks, Framed Film Cells, etc.
I definitely see your point.
I agree with most of it.
I do wish pirating would stop, but I also wish we could stop going to war.
Smile.
Laugh.
Enjoy the movie.

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Pirating
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 02:32:36 AM »
QUOTE (Dr.Hill42 @ Aug 5 2006, 09:59 PM)
I still feel it is wrong. I am a firm believer that film makers deserve every penny they make, especially for the films that change lives. To me it is a sacred art, one that is worth protecting. [/quote]
 I agree with you 100%

-rohan