Unsure

Author Topic: Unsure  (Read 1746 times)

Dal

• Wide Awake

Unsure
« on: July 30, 2006, 05:39:33 AM »
 hi

i am a big fan of m.night shyamalan's first three major  films, sixth sense, unbreakable and my personal favorite signs. I unfortunatly didnt like the village as much,  but it is  still better than many other films around today. What i want to ask is whether lady in the water is more on the lines of those first three major films. Secondly, i am worried is it a very child like film such as Harry Potter, which i dont like at all. Lastly, i have read in some places that it is a  spiritual film, therfore it it similar to signs.

Thanks for your help
Dal    :unsure:  

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
Unsure
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 11:52:08 AM »
 I wouldn't try to classify the film if I were you. Going into any M. Night movie with some sort of expectation is a major no no. You just have to go, relax, and enjoy the story. It is a very spiritual film, but I think that is the only likeness it has to Signs.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

okokokok

• LITW

Unsure
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 01:50:20 PM »
 Thematically, very similar to Signs.  It has similar thematic elements to unbreakable and The Village as well.  But the actual story is quite different.  It is an absolute fairytale.  It is not like Harry Potter at all, but does have fantasy elements.  Just see it.  I love M Night's last 3 movies before this one, and I this one just didn't look that interesting to me. As well, the critics had me doubting it even more.  So Lady in the Water took me completely by surprise when I ended up liking it more then any of his films.    

Isondill

• Praying with Anger

Unsure
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »
 Lady in the Water is different than all of his films. In fact, every movie he makes seems different than the last to me. So go see the movie with an open mind. You might enjoy it. I myself LOVED the film.

As for your comments on Harry Potter, even M. Night Shyamalan is a fan of the stories. You should give the movies another chance. Night may even direct one. They are not simply for children (although it is easy to see why they appreicate them so much). The stories and films are far more intelligent, deep, and entertaining than what most non-fans may think. I myself used to hate the series (considered it nothing more than a huge marketing tool) and I was entirely wrong. I had never read them. When I did there was no turning back.