Symbolism. Why Did Everyone Miss It?

Author Topic: Symbolism. Why Did Everyone Miss It?  (Read 5403 times)

dusty

• Praying with Anger

« on: July 31, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »
 I am not surprised that the critics reviews didn't pick up on much.  

Gemini, the twins, Vick and Anna, brother and sister, living together, inseperable fact-wise, he desires eight children, she will have seven (since they are twins these are his kids), and his eighth is the one he inspires - the orator.  

Martin Luther King is mentioned by the potheads.  His is the fate of the writer played by M. Night.  

Story, Jesus Christ, resurrected during the movie, ascended to heaven, born from a magical womb, cures illness (stuttering), Christ figures are typically related to or come from water. Even in non-Christian religions we still have characters that fulfill this role.  

The aenima, Cleveland, the feminine, writes a diary,  "landlord",  "Superintendent" are terms for caretaker/caregiver, hive queen, protects the narf even knowing he is not the guardian, motherly intincts, accepts that he is weaker than a man should be.  Possibly Virgin Mary.  From the cliffs (closer to heaven than most - beloved by God). His role as "Healer" is typically played by a woman in the bedtime story.  
I have read reviews that say Cleveland fell in love with Story.  What!?!?! (Smack!)

The villain, Mr Farber, the antichrist, the movie reviewer, the one who leads the good astray, who attempts to harm Jesus Christ figure, the villian is usually not the "beast" but rather the one who disguises himself as good, Desguised in human form behind almost comical glasses, hates love (movies).  Seen drinking alcohol and stumbling which is typically anti-religious.  Satan is often defeated by a mythical creature or a demon.  

The father, the one who's advice is respected, words of God - direction, calls everyone "son", directive speech, the one who sees all - omniscient (constantly watches news, knows about Clevelands family).  

Aenimas, the male, Reggie, the guardian, the only male besides the father and the villain who never shows any femininity. Youngster who carries iron (soldier), stands guard in the stairwell, wears dogtags.  

Did anyone notice which objects were red?  The red objects that the narf sort of avoided.  The red objects were those that were adopted by man after the temptation of evil.  

These characters are typical in most quality literature but these themes are very rarely transferred to the big screen.  The last good movie featuring symbolism that I saw was American Beauty.  

"Why are people in movies always standing around talking in the rain?"
"Maybe it represents starting anew, rebirth".  

^^^^This is a slap in the face to so-called "professional movie critics" who should understand symbolism in art.  But rarely do.

I would really like to go watch the movie again and try to catch all the little clues to the underlying theme.  

Have you guys noticed any other symbolism?  Think I got one wrong?  
Sorry for the big first post.

nick10

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:28:35 AM »
 wow..i appreciate your depth in thinking..yes ..the movie is metaphorical..but it is very sad that people didnt appreciate it..conventionally made movies ,ridiculously stupid sex comedies or remakes get a better review from these "film critics" ...iwhat they are really saying is ..."we dont understand your movies, please make it simpler"

Tiff

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 06:45:22 AM »
 I too noticed an incredible amount of symbolism in this film. You've mentioned some already. Really I just find it extremely hilarious that this film recieved such a bad review having killed off the film critic itself. I've read of few of their reviews and very few of them haven't the slightest glimmer of what the film is about. It's not surprising that they don't understand it. It's not written for them anyhow. I'm glad to find others that have the ability to enjoy film beyond the main story and visual effects. Many films have another level the story works on concurently with the main storyline however in The Lady in the Water, M. Night emphasizes that the underlying story is what is most important which seems to make it difficult for the mainstream to become submersed in. My husband liked the movie although he admited he didn't really understand it. I have a feeling I may have not caught everything, however unless I have a likeminded individualy to discuss it with I prefer to keep it like a secret to enjoy myself.  :ph34r:  

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »

"Why are people in movies always standing around talking in the rain?"
"Maybe it represents starting anew, rebirth".

^^^^This is a slap in the face to so-called "professional movie critics" who should understand symbolism in art. But rarely do.

It's also about the idea of someone thinking they know exactly what the the filmmakers intentions are, and then tearing the filmmaker apart for something they may or may not have even intended.  It's funny because Cleveland says "maybe" it represents starting anew, where the film critic flat out says no.  As if the critic knows exactly what the filmmaker was trying to do and say.

It reminds me of the review one of the bug guys at AICN wrote.  He said M Night only kills the critic so that if the critics didn't like the movie, then that would be the reason why they didn't like the movie.  And he said he only wrote the part about having to be like a child, innocent when listening to the story, so if anyone didn't like it, it was because they didn't watch it like a child, with innocent eyes.  It's funny because The AICN reviewer says that's the only reason those parts were written. Isn't that funny?  It's exactly like Farber in the movie.

Disastermind

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »
QUOTE (nick10 @ Aug 1 2006, 02:28 AM)
wow..i appreciate your depth in thinking..yes ..the movie is metaphorical..but it is very sad that people didnt appreciate it..conventionally made movies ,ridiculously stupid sex comedies or remakes get a better review from these "film critics" ...iwhat they are really saying is ..."we dont understand your movies, please make it simpler" [/quote]
 wow exactly!
ww.freewebs.com/hacproductions

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 09:59:46 PM »
 Yeah, its really beautiful if you think about it...

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

dusty

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 04:03:08 PM »
 Thanks for the responses.  Another one hit me yesterday.  

In ancient Sumerian polytheism the main God was called EN.KI.  
EN means lord
KI means earth
Enki was known to sleep in the water sometimes, was often shown wearing fish scales, and taught humans about digging for well water in the water table (and therefore understood that he was "walking on water").  ENKI was also the one who told a certain man how to avoid the great flood by building a vessel.  

The mud called Ki, ENKI created man in his image from earth "ki".
Story is the human embodiment of the God who created man from mud.  

Also, Anna and Vick, the twins remind me of of Sam and Eric (Samneric) from William Goldings "The Lord of the Flies".  

Cheers.  

birth of the cool

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 11:12:30 PM »
 thank you man. i am glad to see people enjoyed this movie as much as i did :D  

YETI

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 11:14:26 AM »
 The Parable of the Lady in the Water
Parable: An earthly story with a heavenly meaning.

First, in order to understand the Truth behind Lady in the Water, we must understand the semiology of the characters and elements involved in the story.  Each character in this narrative represents a part in all of us that either enables or hinders us from carrying out our ordained purpose.  

Character Representation:
Cleveland Heap- Cleveland represents the average person who is living an idle mundane life.  He represents the individual as a whole who is not fulfilling their purpose.  This individual avoids their calling by preoccupying themselves with mundane labor that ?anybody can do.?  But, eventually their mind sees a glimpse of light and they come to the turning point in their life, which is why he is aptly named Cleveland, ?Land of Cliffs?.  He can either jump or stay on the land to make the difference God intended for him.  We all have an ebenezer, something that is holding us back from acting upon our purpose.  Cleveland?s crutch was his prolonged mourning and suffering over his family?s death, causing him to live a futile life.  Only when Cleveland submitted his burdens before God did he become revitalized because his purpose became clear.

Story- Story represents faith and purity and Christ.  Faith comes to us through Christ to make us pure in the eyes of God.  Faith is difficult to understand and isn?t always clear.  Faith becomes stronger when others believe, like having the guild and witnesses present during the resurrection. By accepting faith alone we can be redeemed and our eyes will see our purpose in this world.

Mr. Farber- Mr. Farber represents one of the devil?s greatest tools; he is the cynic, the empiricist and the pragmatist in us all.  He is the devil on our left shoulder telling us that there is no purpose for us and that ?everything has been done, originality doesn?t exist.?  Mr. Farber allows history to be his guide instead of faith.  Mr. Farber is that reclusive pessimist that will not allow us to take the risk of believing and in turn hides behind intellectual security.  Mr. Farber is the person who was standing in between Cleveland and his pure heart (the pool) when he awoke after his encounter with the scrunt.  

Vick Ran- Vick represents that ambition or passion in us all that knows our purpose but gets stymied by petty environmental distractions (laundry, light out).  Vick has a powerful purpose, but he will not be able to witness his impact on this world directly.  His influence will captivate another who will go on to captivate millions.  Many people give up when empirical results are not achieved on the first attempt, but the impact of one person?s life can only be measured by the legacy that he or she transfers to others.  The message in this bedtime story is: as long as you are carrying out your purpose you will feel complete.  Even if your purpose seems insignificant in a worldly sense at the moment, it is contributing to a greater design.  

Young Sun- ?Young? represents the childlike faith in us all.  We are told that we must have a childlike faith when we first believe; we have to deflect the influence of the degrading society, scientific theories, and have a strong desire to pursue faith and wisdom.

Mr. Dury- Mr. Dury (crossword-puzzler) represents the technical part of our mind that can only take us so far.  Technical wisdom reaches a dead end when confronted with interpretative/analytical thought and leaves no room for faith.  Technical intelligence can only satisfy a portion of our purpose, without faith we are empty, which is the feeling Mr. Dury got when he could not contribute any further to the cause.

Reggie- Reggie, the man who works out only one half of his body represents our physical strengths and weaknesses.  There is a dichotomy in us all physically.  We all have physical strengths and weaknesses that make us unique.  That uniqueness enables us to fulfill our ultimate ordained purpose. However, humans tend to focus more on their weakness, which can ultimately blind them from their strengths.

Smoking Hippy crew- The smoking crew represents the phlegmatic part of us all that hinders the manifestation of our true purpose.  If the phlegmatic part of us prevails, we become stagnant and end up clouding our minds and filling the voids with sinful acts and ideas. Idle bodies do not fulfill their purpose; therefore, they are not propelling the advancement of themselves or society.

Mr. Leeds- Mr. Leeds represents the voice of God in us all.  His first statement after years of silence is ?does man deserve to be saved??  Just as God, Our Father sought wrath on the sinful man, he has redeemed us through his Son.  God wants to see the child-like faith in us all, just as Mr. Leeds said during Story?s resurrection.  Cleveland?s answer of ?Yes? to the question is wrong because man is undeserving and he needs to submit himself to the higher power and allow himself/herself to be used for His purpose.  Mr. Leeds also exhibits omniscience as the only one who knows that the death of his family is what?s keeping Cleveland from living his purpose.  Which is why Mr. Leeds constantly refers to Cleveland as ?son.? Mr. Leeds represents our Leader.

Mrs. Bell- Mrs. Bell (old lady) represents the comforting maternal side of us all, the caretaker.  She represents the comfort level that we all seek after.  Where Mr. Leeds is representative of the comfort we get from our Father, Mrs. Bell reminds of that comfort which we received from our mother.

Mr. Bubchik- ?The man with no secrets? represents our abilities to confess our sins.  Although Mrs. Bubchik did all of the confessing for him, all of us have the ability to take the sins in our lives and offer them up to God and ask them to no longer hinder us from accomplishing our purpose.  In Mr. Bubchik?s case, his ability to confess will take him out of reclusive bathroom and face the world.  This is precisely why he must be present when we hand over our life to God; we must lay down those hindrances just as Cleveland did.

Joey Drury- Joey Drury (cereal box reader) represents that child-like faith in us all that can see the signs of God without being tainted by evils of society.  They are that part in all of us that is pure and innocent.   Joey is that part in us that sees God?s majesty all around us: in nature, in interdependence, in love, and most of all in each of our purposes.

The Sisters- The Latino sisters and Anna Ran represent our support system.  They also represent our strong desire to be a part of a community, a family, the Body.  

The Cove- (definition: a safe harbor or inlet) The Cove represents the place where we feel comfortable.  The layout of the cove is like a person.  The center of a person is the heart.  Like in other Shyamalan movies, the water represents purity.  The Cove?s pool is located at the center of the complex and is shaped like a human heart.  Our body is made up of different parts that are assimilated into one unit that can carry out tremendous acts that the individual parts (tenants) cannot do alone.  In an even more broad and Biblical sense we all represent the body of Christ that can do tremendous things as long as we are working together by fulfilling each of our purposes.

The Scrunts: The Scrunts represent the devil.  The devil can camouflage as any fa?ade so that we will not fulfill God?s purpose in our life.  Just as the Scrunts could camouflage in the grass, the devil can camouflage in the form of money, fame, power, etc.  We can only truly see that it is the devil if we hold up a mirror to ourselves and see us for who we are and see the devil as a separate entity (the leering red eyes).  So many times the devil?s fa?ade becomes who we are that we can not distinguish ourselves from the devil?s games.  

Other Biblical Analogies:
-The monkeys=The Holy trinity protecting us from the devil.
-The Narf/Story=Jesus sent by his father to be the only pure being on earth, blameless of sin.  The Savior was sent with a purpose to help us understand faith and take away our burdens that have hindered us.  These burdens are lifted up through Christ just as he was resurrected, we can start our new life living in the Truth, living by faith.
-Rain=rain during the death of Christ, the pure and holy cleansing coming down from heaven.
-Eagle=represents God taking us home to Heaven.  The eagle was shown through water because that is how God sees us now.  Through Christ?s sacrifice and our submission we are made pure.

M. Night Shymalan?s ordained purpose is to encourage all of us to actively seek out our purpose.  Just as his character Vick Ran claimed that people will not get it, (and from the many misleading reviews of this movie, people obviously did not get it) but if that one person gets it and fulfills their purpose than he will have fulfilled his purpose.  All of Night?s previous movies have pushed us to find our reasons for living, our purpose here on earth.  Joshua Beal in Wide Awake, was desperately seeking God?s purpose and he found it when he saved his best friend from a fatal seizure.  Cole in the Sixth Sense had a special ability that could save lives and bring spiritual justice into a broken world, even though he saw it as a curse at first.  David Dunn in Unbreakable realized he wasn?t a mistake and realized he was given his physical gifts for God?s purpose.  Unbreakable, like Lady in the Water, attempted to bring a little light into that age-old nihilistic saying ?If there is a God, how can there be so much evil in the world.?  The answer to that is we are not God so we don?t know. But Night offers another explanation that some of the tragedies in this world like Elijah Price?s terrorist acts and Cleveland Heap?s family being murdered can bring a greater purpose to this world by strengthening individuals through tragedy.  This could be God?s method to break that stagnation and bring out that ambitious drive that is in us all to fulfill our purpose.  In Signs, God spoke to Rev. Graham Hess through his dream so that he will, like Cleveland, stop living an idle life by mourning the death of his wife and instead use that to strengthen him to fulfill his ultimate purpose which is to preach the Truth.  In the Village?s allegory to 9/11 we all discovered that we cannot remain in a static place in time because of fear.  We have to go on living and fulfill our purpose as individuals and as a community.  
   This story is personal to Shyamalan, much like it is personal to all of us.  Shyamalan is fulfilling his purpose even when the world around him, namely film critics (personified well by Mr. Farber), do not understand his message.  Many have heard the truth, but not all of them believe it.  Much like Jesus? parables, Lady in the Water will be used to help people understand the Truth by applying the Truth to our everyday life.  In this case, Shyamalan invites us to enter into this ?Bedtime story? parable with that child-like faith so that we can understand God?s truth and apply it to our life?s purpose.  Thank M. Night Shyamalan for fulfilling your purpose: In the great final words of Elijah Price, in Unbreakable, ?Now that you know who you are, I know who I am!?

turke

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »
Thanks for clearing it up a bit. Also this thread is usefull to understand the movie in its entirety i think: http://mnightfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=731

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »
Quote from: "YETI"
The Parable of the Lady in the Water
Parable: An earthly story with a heavenly meaning.

First, in order to understand the Truth behind Lady in the Water, we must understand the semiology of the characters and elements involved in the story.  Each character in this narrative represents a part in all of us that either enables or hinders us from carrying out our ordained purpose.  

Character Representation:
Cleveland Heap- Cleveland represents the average person who is living an idle mundane life.  He represents the individual as a whole who is not fulfilling their purpose.  This individual avoids their calling by preoccupying themselves with mundane labor that ?anybody can do.?  But, eventually their mind sees a glimpse of light and they come to the turning point in their life, which is why he is aptly named Cleveland, ?Land of Cliffs?.  He can either jump or stay on the land to make the difference God intended for him.  We all have an ebenezer, something that is holding us back from acting upon our purpose.  Cleveland?s crutch was his prolonged mourning and suffering over his family?s death, causing him to live a futile life.  Only when Cleveland submitted his burdens before God did he become revitalized because his purpose became clear.

Story- Story represents faith and purity and Christ.  Faith comes to us through Christ to make us pure in the eyes of God.  Faith is difficult to understand and isn?t always clear.  Faith becomes stronger when others believe, like having the guild and witnesses present during the resurrection. By accepting faith alone we can be redeemed and our eyes will see our purpose in this world.

Mr. Farber- Mr. Farber represents one of the devil?s greatest tools; he is the cynic, the empiricist and the pragmatist in us all.  He is the devil on our left shoulder telling us that there is no purpose for us and that ?everything has been done, originality doesn?t exist.?  Mr. Farber allows history to be his guide instead of faith.  Mr. Farber is that reclusive pessimist that will not allow us to take the risk of believing and in turn hides behind intellectual security.  Mr. Farber is the person who was standing in between Cleveland and his pure heart (the pool) when he awoke after his encounter with the scrunt.  

Vick Ran- Vick represents that ambition or passion in us all that knows our purpose but gets stymied by petty environmental distractions (laundry, light out).  Vick has a powerful purpose, but he will not be able to witness his impact on this world directly.  His influence will captivate another who will go on to captivate millions.  Many people give up when empirical results are not achieved on the first attempt, but the impact of one person?s life can only be measured by the legacy that he or she transfers to others.  The message in this bedtime story is: as long as you are carrying out your purpose you will feel complete.  Even if your purpose seems insignificant in a worldly sense at the moment, it is contributing to a greater design.  

Young Sun- ?Young? represents the childlike faith in us all.  We are told that we must have a childlike faith when we first believe; we have to deflect the influence of the degrading society, scientific theories, and have a strong desire to pursue faith and wisdom.

Mr. Dury- Mr. Dury (crossword-puzzler) represents the technical part of our mind that can only take us so far.  Technical wisdom reaches a dead end when confronted with interpretative/analytical thought and leaves no room for faith.  Technical intelligence can only satisfy a portion of our purpose, without faith we are empty, which is the feeling Mr. Dury got when he could not contribute any further to the cause.

Reggie- Reggie, the man who works out only one half of his body represents our physical strengths and weaknesses.  There is a dichotomy in us all physically.  We all have physical strengths and weaknesses that make us unique.  That uniqueness enables us to fulfill our ultimate ordained purpose. However, humans tend to focus more on their weakness, which can ultimately blind them from their strengths.

Smoking Hippy crew- The smoking crew represents the phlegmatic part of us all that hinders the manifestation of our true purpose.  If the phlegmatic part of us prevails, we become stagnant and end up clouding our minds and filling the voids with sinful acts and ideas. Idle bodies do not fulfill their purpose; therefore, they are not propelling the advancement of themselves or society.

Mr. Leeds- Mr. Leeds represents the voice of God in us all.  His first statement after years of silence is ?does man deserve to be saved??  Just as God, Our Father sought wrath on the sinful man, he has redeemed us through his Son.  God wants to see the child-like faith in us all, just as Mr. Leeds said during Story?s resurrection.  Cleveland?s answer of ?Yes? to the question is wrong because man is undeserving and he needs to submit himself to the higher power and allow himself/herself to be used for His purpose.  Mr. Leeds also exhibits omniscience as the only one who knows that the death of his family is what?s keeping Cleveland from living his purpose.  Which is why Mr. Leeds constantly refers to Cleveland as ?son.? Mr. Leeds represents our Leader.

Mrs. Bell- Mrs. Bell (old lady) represents the comforting maternal side of us all, the caretaker.  She represents the comfort level that we all seek after.  Where Mr. Leeds is representative of the comfort we get from our Father, Mrs. Bell reminds of that comfort which we received from our mother.

Mr. Bubchik- ?The man with no secrets? represents our abilities to confess our sins.  Although Mrs. Bubchik did all of the confessing for him, all of us have the ability to take the sins in our lives and offer them up to God and ask them to no longer hinder us from accomplishing our purpose.  In Mr. Bubchik?s case, his ability to confess will take him out of reclusive bathroom and face the world.  This is precisely why he must be present when we hand over our life to God; we must lay down those hindrances just as Cleveland did.

Joey Drury- Joey Drury (cereal box reader) represents that child-like faith in us all that can see the signs of God without being tainted by evils of society.  They are that part in all of us that is pure and innocent.   Joey is that part in us that sees God?s majesty all around us: in nature, in interdependence, in love, and most of all in each of our purposes.

The Sisters- The Latino sisters and Anna Ran represent our support system.  They also represent our strong desire to be a part of a community, a family, the Body.  

The Cove- (definition: a safe harbor or inlet) The Cove represents the place where we feel comfortable.  The layout of the cove is like a person.  The center of a person is the heart.  Like in other Shyamalan movies, the water represents purity.  The Cove?s pool is located at the center of the complex and is shaped like a human heart.  Our body is made up of different parts that are assimilated into one unit that can carry out tremendous acts that the individual parts (tenants) cannot do alone.  In an even more broad and Biblical sense we all represent the body of Christ that can do tremendous things as long as we are working together by fulfilling each of our purposes.

The Scrunts: The Scrunts represent the devil.  The devil can camouflage as any fa?ade so that we will not fulfill God?s purpose in our life.  Just as the Scrunts could camouflage in the grass, the devil can camouflage in the form of money, fame, power, etc.  We can only truly see that it is the devil if we hold up a mirror to ourselves and see us for who we are and see the devil as a separate entity (the leering red eyes).  So many times the devil?s fa?ade becomes who we are that we can not distinguish ourselves from the devil?s games.  

Other Biblical Analogies:
-The Narf/Story=Jesus sent by his father to be the only pure being on earth, blameless of sin.  The Savior was sent with a purpose to help us understand faith and take away our burdens that have hindered us.  These burdens are lifted up through Christ just as he was resurrected, we can start our new life living in the Truth, living by faith.
-Rain=rain during the death of Christ, the pure and holy cleansing coming down from heaven.
-Eagle=represents God taking us home to Heaven.  The eagle was shown through water because that is how God sees us now.  Through Christ?s sacrifice and our submission we are made pure.

M. Night Shymalan?s ordained purpose is to encourage all of us to actively seek out our purpose.  Just as his character Vick Ran claimed that people will not get it, (and from the many misleading reviews of this movie, people obviously did not get it) but if that one person gets it and fulfills their purpose than he will have fulfilled his purpose.  All of Night?s previous movies have pushed us to find our reasons for living, our purpose here on earth.  Joshua Beal in Wide Awake, was desperately seeking God?s purpose and he found it when he saved his best friend from a fatal seizure.  Cole in the Sixth Sense had a special ability that could save lives and bring spiritual justice into a broken world, even though he saw it as a curse at first.  David Dunn in Unbreakable realized he wasn?t a mistake and realized he was given his physical gifts for God?s purpose.  Unbreakable, like Lady in the Water, attempted to bring a little light into that age-old nihilistic saying ?If there is a God, how can there be so much evil in the world.?  The answer to that is we are not God so we don?t know. But Night offers another explanation that some of the tragedies in this world like Elijah Price?s terrorist acts and Cleveland Heap?s family being murdered can bring a greater purpose to this world by strengthening individuals through tragedy.  This could be God?s method to break that stagnation and bring out that ambitious drive that is in us all to fulfill our purpose.  In Signs, God spoke to Rev. Graham Hess through his dream so that he will, like Cleveland, stop living an idle life by mourning the death of his wife and instead use that to strengthen him to fulfill his ultimate purpose which is to preach the Truth.  In the Village?s allegory to 9/11 we all discovered that we cannot remain in a static place in time because of fear.  We have to go on living and fulfill our purpose as individuals and as a community.  
   This story is personal to Shyamalan, much like it is personal to all of us.  Shyamalan is fulfilling his purpose even when the world around him, namely film critics (personified well by Mr. Farber), do not understand his message.  Many have heard the truth, but not all of them believe it.  Much like Jesus? parables, Lady in the Water will be used to help people understand the Truth by applying the Truth to our everyday life.  In this case, Shyamalan invites us to enter into this ?Bedtime story? parable with that child-like faith so that we can understand God?s truth and apply it to our life?s purpose.  Thank M. Night Shyamalan for fulfilling your purpose: In the great final words of Elijah Price, in Unbreakable, ?Now that you know who you are, I know who I am!?

It's Nice! I agree, pretty cleared to me.

-Rohan

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 03:36:40 PM »
Quote from: "dusty"

Story, Jesus Christ, resurrected during the movie, ascended to heaven, born from a magical womb, cures illness (stuttering), Christ figures are typically related to or come from water. Even in non-Christian religions we still have characters that fulfill this role.

Wow,you're right!Also about Cleveland!!The scene where he discovers to be the healer and reveals his past is actually...the Piety!!Michelangelo's Piety!You're absolutely right!Why I didn't get it?? :o
Guys,I have to see this movie again and change all my opinions as soon as possible!!!
"Welcome to The Cove"

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 04:21:30 PM »

So...Lady in the water=Christ in our heart?Yeah,sounds good!
"Welcome to The Cove"

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 03:13:07 PM »

Sorry,but here I'm a little more sceptical.In the movie,Young-Soon (i think) says that the Tartutic are so evil that they killed their own parents when they were born.It seems strange to me that they should be The Holy Trinity...
"Welcome to The Cove"