Why Lady In The Water Is Suffering At The Box Offi

Author Topic: Why Lady In The Water Is Suffering At The Box Offi  (Read 10999 times)

ziggywop

• Praying with Anger

« on: August 08, 2006, 12:38:58 PM »
 Warner Bros screwed up big time. They finally got what they wanted, M. Night Shyamalan. He wrote an original, really cool story and they panicked. They thought they had to market as a horror film because thats what Disney had done with his other films and been successful. The previews made the movie look like you would have to endure 2 hours of pure terror.

I am a big Shyamalan fan and would have seen this movie no matter what the preview was, but even I thought to myself, "Is that all this movie is going to be? A wierd looking wolf attacking people for the whole movie? It doesn't sound appealing."

I was pleasantly surprised that the movie was not about the wolf but instead was an original story about the amazing role normal people can play in someones life. Days after I had seen the movie I couldn't stop thinking about it.

I have spoken to many people asking them if they will go see Lady and many said that it looks too scary. Even when I tell them it isn't scary at all, they won't believe me. Instead they are going to see Pirates 2. Everyone has to see that right? I mean, it's Pirates 2.

So what has happened, is a good original story that should have been seen by the masses is quickly moving out of theatres while a below average sequel continues to break box office records.

Here is the message we have implanted in the minds and hearts of Hollywood: Make more sequels and make lots of money. Make original movies and lose money. Great, I can't wait to see Transporter 3 or Posiedon 2. It is a crime against movie goers and we're the one's to blame.

What I intend to do:

Now that the previews have stopped playing people should start to forget how "scary" the movie looks, I am going on a grass roots campaign to tell as many people as I can how good the movie was and that they have to go see it. Im going to go take my wife and see it again. Im going to do my part to help support one of the very few people in Hollywood that actually comes up with their own original ideas instead of using a book, comic or video game to make a quick buck.

Support Originality! That's my motto now. If you agree with what I have said, then please tell everyone you know to see the movie. Let's make sure that more original ideas come to the big screen and less below average sequels.

P.S. No, I have no affiliation with any studio or with Mr. Shyamalan, I just enjoy his movies.

Specter

• Administrator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• NarniaFans
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:43:42 PM »
 Awesome!  I hope that everyone does their part to help spread the word that Lady in the Water is an absolutely fantastic and original movie.  If only we could re-market it, and get better press than the critics that roasted the film.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:55:59 PM »
 Yeah, Warner Bros screwed up. I saw this coming from a mile away. I convinced myself everything was going to be ok, and the movie was going to do well anyway's. Of course that did not happen.

Whenever I tell people to see the movie, there are two responses:
- I don't like scary movies/I don't do horror movies
- I heard it wasn't that scary

The two worst things that could possibly happen did. People who like scary movies were disappointed, and people who actually might have liked it were turned away because they didn't know it wasn't a horror movie.

Terrible marketing, just horrid. Night is partially to blame for this (IMO). I bet they don't make this mistake on his next film!

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
 One thing I have been wondering is how well does everybody think this is going to do overseas?  Because wasn't The Village like a big thing in other countries?  Maybe the same prinicple will apply here.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »
 Yeah The Village did well overseas, not phenomenal or anything, but pretty damn good.

overseas take was: $142,500,000

compared to other Night movies:

Signs: $180,281,283  
Unbreakable: $153,106,782
Sixth Sense: $379,300,000  

Unbreakable had a relatively small gross here in US, but 61% of it's overall take world-wide was from overseas receipts. Lady in the Water needs to exceed that to be a help.

Last summer another A-List director, Ridley Scott, released a 'flop' called "Kingdom of Heaven". It pulled in $19M in it's first weekend (about a million more than 'Lady') and stretched itself to a $47,398,413 total in the US. Overseas it did pretty well at $164,244,745, which is 77% of it's worldwide gross of $211M. And that movie had a much larger budget ($135M)  than 'Lady' ($70M).

Europe must be hearing that this a flop in the US, I don't know how that will effect things. But Judging by 'Kingdom's takes, I predict 'Lady's US total to be $44M :(
and it's Overseas to be $146M, making it's Worldwide total: $190M. <_<

ziggywop

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
 The problem is that if the movie would have been marketed the right way it would have easily grossed $200 million in the US and we are never having this conversation.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 04:25:15 PM »
 I agree, they screwed it up big time.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 06:52:30 PM »
 I have to agree that originality is sinking big time in Hollywood. Our audiences turning naive from sophisticated. I was just really sad that why they didn't do good and perfect 'marketing' for Lady In The Water and when later on I thought with myself that its marketing wouldn't in the case as much as these so called critics are in the case.

Ain't It Cool News website these people actually trashed the movie while giving their own horrific reveiw before "Lady In the Water" comes out and I believe it was when "M.Night" screening parts of the movie to his friends and family.

And no idea where Ain't It Cool news staff was there. They completly trashed the movie with their review and plus revealed some spoilers from the movie. The main spoiler that was revealed it was "EAGLE" from LADY IN THE WATER, after reading such horrific review I personally e-mailed the website and its staff scolding them very aggressively with some strong words. Then the other day they removed the review from their website.

I have also heard from many people this comebacks :

I Don't like scary movies
Its looks to scary
M.Night is scary
Not my kind of movie
I will go watch PIRATES 2

In fact I fired back on PIRATES 2 thats it's a blockbuster sequel, but whats happening with the orginilaty here? They are trashing it, this really pissing me off because every time M.Night made stories those are life changing and mind opening concepts, but why these people are trashing his movie before it comes out.

I am myself a story writer and willing to start working in Hollywood as an screenwriter/actor and later on direction. I am writing my first ever script and I am already scared of these real life "Scrunts" only they are man shape.

No matter what happens I will keep with originality and keep supporting M.Night forever.

-Rohan

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:43:56 PM »
 I just finished The Man Who Heard Voices (I really liked it), and M Night actually met the guy who wrote the Aint it cool news review (the one that trashed the movie very early on.)  

Apparently the kid was a NYU film student who was a friend of a friend, who was the only person at the showing M Night didnt know.  

Reading about the whole ordeal really impressed me on M Night's handling of the situation.

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 12:00:48 AM »
 Did it say what Night said to the NYU student?

~Dr.Hill42

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 12:38:40 AM »
 yeah. it's explains the basics of what Night said. He made a lot of really good points, but that whole situation really pissed me off! that kid is a jerk! Night handled the situation well, cause I would've behaved much worse :D .

Anywayss, the book was really really good! I read it every free moment I had and surpisingly finished it in 2 days. I found myself up reading it at 2:30 in the morning! haha!

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 01:36:46 PM »
 Cool, I just bought the book today.

~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 01:59:54 AM »
 Can anyone please tell me that where I find the book?

-rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »
 Your Local Book Store Should Have It.

or

You can always do Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592402135/timbalandfans-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=122JYN6SX74077V2B1C1&link_code=as1' target='_blank'>Amazon.com: The Man Who Heard Voices - Book

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
QUOTE (Dr Malcom Crowe @ Aug 16 2006, 02:29 PM)
Your Local Book Store Should Have It.

or

You can always do Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592402135/timbalandfans-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=122JYN6SX74077V2B1C1&link_code=as1' target='_blank'>Amazon.com: The Man Who Heard Voices - Book [/quote]
 Thanks Dr,Malcom

I will try that...

Any ideas when LADY is floating its DVDs..

-Rohan