Why Lady In The Water Is Suffering At The Box Offi

Author Topic: Why Lady In The Water Is Suffering At The Box Offi  (Read 11002 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 01:39:50 AM »
 I heard a rumor that the DVD is coming December 12th. Im not sure, let me double check that info...

ohh, I guess Lady aint doin so Hot it the UK. Number Nine Opening Weekend :(  

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 03:14:16 PM »
QUOTE (Dr Malcom Crowe @ Aug 18 2006, 01:39 AM)
I heard a rumor that the DVD is coming December 12th. Im not sure, let me double check that info...

ohh, I guess Lady aint doin so Hot it the UK. Number Nine Opening Weekend :( [/quote]
 Thanks a lot Dr. Malcom.

I can't wait for the DVD

-Rohan

gonzito

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 05:10:33 PM »
 I don't have the official report yet but here in France the movie is doing great!
some critics hated,some critics loved it.
I'm so happy that the movie is making money here, it seems that people and media see it as a family/fairytale movie.
he scariest thing is not knowing your place in the world...

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 03:12:51 AM »
Quote from: "gonzito"
I don't have the official report yet but here in France the movie is doing great!
some critics hated,some critics loved it.
I'm so happy that the movie is making money here, it seems that people and media see it as a family/fairytale movie.

That's great that critics in France loved the movie, here in the U.S people are just getting crazy, as they fell in love watching "Sex" "Drugs" And brutal voilence on the big screen.

Ichabod

• Wide Awake

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I live in France and I can tell you that lot of critics hated LITW.. Just few critics loved it, and in France the movie did a big flop... Apparently, people in France reacted the same way:
"That's not scary.."
"A such story is ridiculous, that's not beleviable.."
In France 400 000 people have seen LITW, we can't realize but I tell you, it's a very big failure (to compare, The Village made 2 500 000); it was so pity...
Most of people didn't understand tis movie; of course that's a baffling movie, but they thought it was a horror movie: ridiculous..
I heard in the US box office, the movie did the same. Sad..
But it is true that sone critics liked, and especially spectators..
http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=60207.html
I hope dvd will give an other chance to LITW..
quot;Remember remember the fith of November.."

Reflection

• Unbreakable

Re: Why Lady In The Water Is Suffering At The Box Offi
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:01 PM »
The reason Lady did so bad is because Mn is trying to tell two stories with one movie...

He's talking to people in ways they don't recognize with the "main" story, too bad they don't recognize it...

And then he's having to make an actual movie people will go see, not an easy task huh??

For a person that "sees" what's behind the "scenes" it makes perfect "sense", but for people just wanting a story, it's hard to join the "two" worlds "together"...

Did anyone catch the symbol in the room number of the "guy" who knew the plots??

springheeledjack

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »
I agree on the studio marketing.  When I first saw the trailers I had no clue what to make of it, and so did not see it in the theatre (before you start yelling blasphemy...I have a 3 year old and don't get to many movies at all these days :D), because I really had no idea what kind of movie it might be.

Then when I did finally catch it on video, it was so different than what I might have thought, that it pulled me right in. 

I think movie goers across the waters are much more open to this type of movie, and are not as ingrained to the usual Hollywood blockbuster material that we in the U.S. often equate with movies.  PErsonally, I prefer movies that provoke thought and discussion, and Lady in the Water did not disappoint!

Unfortunately, in this country, I don't think we ask as much out of our movies as we should be...and we settle for the action blockbuster/bombs we are told are cool...that's my social comment for the day.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »
Yes, I did see it in theaters.  I was waiting for it to come out.  I love Shyamalan's stories because they make you think, they are not about the action, or the sex, but about good complex characters, a feeling of empathy for them, and understanding what they are going through.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

swiveltam

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »
Yeah, Warner Bros screwed up. I saw this coming from a mile away. I convinced myself everything was going to be ok, and the movie was going to do well anyway's. Of course that did not happen.

Whenever I tell people to see the movie, there are two responses:
- I don't like scary movies/I don't do horror movies
- I heard it wasn't that scary

The two worst things that could possibly happen did. People who like scary movies were disappointed, and people who actually might have liked it were turned away because they didn't know it wasn't a horror movie.

Terrible marketing, just horrid. Night is partially to blame for this (IMO). I bet they don't make this mistake on his next film!

This is what happened to me. I no longer enjoy stupid horror movies and thought this looked shallow and stupid. I should have known better coming from M. Night. I didn't see it until it came out on video and not it is on my Fave movie list and I tell EVERYONE to see it. The writing is just so damn good! I've seen it 7 times and it doesn't get old. I just love it. Have the video sales been better? Are people finally starting to "get it."

And when do "sales" determine if a movie is great. Look at the crap that wins academy awards even. The same angst, overly dramatic driven movies and roles. Give me characters in movies like "Lady" or "Stranger than Fiction."

I hope MORE families buy this video!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
I agree, good movies don't neccesarily have to do well at the box office.  Lady In The Water neither did well at the box office, or win any critical acclaim.  Unfortunately DVD sales haven't helped that much, o well, maybe over time it will grow on people.  Star Wars did horrible at first, then they rereleased it and it was a huge hit.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
I agree, good movies don't neccesarily have to do well at the box office.  Lady In The Water neither did well at the box office, or win any critical acclaim.  Unfortunately DVD sales haven't helped that much, o well, maybe over time it will grow on people.  Star Wars did horrible at first, then they rereleased it and it was a huge hit.

About Star Wars, lines were wrapped around theatres to get into that movie when it opened.  So I wouldn't say it did horrible.

I also don't think that box office results are automatically indicative of whether a movie is good or not.  However, poor box office, plus poor video sales, plus poor word of mouth generally can paint a picture of whether a movie is simply a "fringe" or "cult" movie when it comes to popularity.  Lady in the Water would definitely fall into that category.  The only place I have found anybody who likes LITW, is here on a Shyamalan fan site (surprise, surprise), and over at the IMDB in the LITW boards.  And even there, they are still grossly outnumbered by people who disliked the movie.  I have never found any person I've come across and asked about whether they liked the movie who did.  Either they haven't seen the movie, and aren't interested in seeing it, or they did see the movie and thought it was wierd, or outright terrible. 

Not to beat a dead horse, but you (and I'm not speaking just to you Mr. Glass, but everybody who likes the film) really need to just accept the fact that LITW will only ever have a cult following, because it's just not that good of a movie in the eyes of most people.  If you like it, and think it's brilliant, there's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't make you stupid or a bad person.  However, please stop acting like it's a brilliant movie that most people just don't get, because that is simply not the case.     
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
I think with Star Wars original release, way back when, it did poorly and was pulled from theaters before being rereleased.  I agree, I think Lady In The Water will only ever be a cult film, and I'm fine with that, obviously I would like it to do better, but it probably won't.  Us fans of Lady In The Water do think it is a brilliant movie, we're allowed to, that why it's our opinion, but some people just don't get it.  Literally I've talked to people who said they didn't get it, others just deny that they don't get, and then most people just didn't like it.  Most people don't like it, the box office showed that.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »
I think with Star Wars original release, way back when, it did poorly and was pulled from theaters before being rereleased.  I agree, I think Lady In The Water will only ever be a cult film, and I'm fine with that, obviously I would like it to do better, but it probably won't.  Us fans of Lady In The Water do think it is a brilliant movie, we're allowed to, that why it's our opinion, but some people just don't get it.  Literally I've talked to people who said they didn't get it, others just deny that they don't get, and then most people just didn't like it.  Most people don't like it, the box office showed that.

Ok, here's an argument I have a major problem with:  The "people just don't get it" argument.  No, it's not that people don't get the movie, it's that unless you're really willing to "buy into" what the movie is selling, and the manner in which it is selling it (which most people aren't), than you're not going to like it.  I could easilly say there's nothing there to get, and I think the majority of people in the world would back me up on that.  However, I will acknowledge that for some, they "get" something out of it, and that's why it has a small cult following, of which a number of people here are a part of.  But not "getting it" certainly isn't a flaw of those of us who don't like it.  I completely understand the movie as it's presented, I can see the underpining points Shyamalan is trying to make.  I also recognize it's a "bedtime-story", and needs to be taken as such.  Taking everything it is, and everything it's trying to say into account though, I still think it's not a very good movie.  And it's not because I don't get it.  That's why I'd label it a cult film. 

BTW, getting back to Star Wars, I was referring to the original release.  My dad was there, and told me about taking my mom to see it and waiting in line for hours to get tickets to see it.  So yeah, it was not unpopular when it came out, at least not on the level of LITW.

Here is a pet peeve of mine now that I'm posting on this site.  I love Shyamalan, and his movies (in general).  I think he is a brilliant filmmaker, and aspire to be like him, and take cues from him in the creation of my own movies.  However, I do not just accept that whatever he makes is gold, and that the man can do no wrong.  All the greatest filmmakers have had their stinkbombs: Spielberg, Hitchcock, Kubrick (if you're someone who calls him a great filmmaker).  It is perfectly reasonable to expect Shyamalan is capable of a stinker as well, and frankly, I think LITW is an example of that.  It hasn't lessened my appreciation for him or his films any, because I accept that all filmmakers are capable of dropping the ball now and then.  However, it does lend some credence to the Shyamalan "haters" that romp in society, whether over at the IMDB, or elsewhere, when they accuse us Shyamalan fans of mindlessly accepting everything he puts out, and not evaluating the movies with a more open and neutral mind.  I guess it's a little disappointing that there aren't more open-minded M.Night fans here who can step outside the fan box and concede that, yes, Shyamalan did not do the greatest job with LITW.  I don't think saying this makes me any less of a Shyamalan fan as any of you, just because I think he blew it with LITW. 

Now I'm not trying to cause problems, and I'm certainly not an anti-Shyamalan troll just looking to disrupt the boards.  I love Shymalan and his films, and think this is a great site, and I'm glad I found it.  This issue of "homerism" as it can be called has just been bothering me ever since I came here, and I wanted to get it off my chest.  I'm not saying everybody isn't entitled to their own opinion, and that you all should change what you think to disliking the film.  I am really challenging you to look at the film from a more objective, non-M.Night fan's perspective if at all possible, and see if some of your "love" for this movie isn't colored by being a fan of Shyamalan.  Because I think from a critical standpoint, we should all try to be as neutral and unbiased as possible.  I'm sure there are others that frequent this site as well who share my opinion, but are maybe afraid to say it because they don't want to "rock the boat".  Well, I'm not trying to "rock the boat" either really, just throw this thought out there for consideration.  I just know I know a lot of people who are big Shyamalan fans as well, and they too thought this was a bad movie.  So I know I'm not the only M.Night fan out there with this mindset.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »
For the most part people don't like it, but when I saw it in theaters some people walked out looking confused and unsure of what they just watched.  We're not saying it's a flaw in people (at least I'm not), we are just saying watch the film again and look at it, try to understand it, if you don't get what we appear to see, that's fine.  You don't like the movie, okay.  On Star Wars, I guess my information was wrong, sorry about that.  By the way, people who bring up honest opinions and points make for good conversation, so don't feel like you're rocking the boat, you don't get anything out of it if everybody just goes along.  I have objectively watched Lady In The Water, I try and watch a film the first time just to enjoy it, then I watch it again objectively.  I still feel like it is a very good film, not his best, but still a good film.  I don't think it stunk, though I do believe Night will sometime during his life release a bad film, it will happen, I just don't think Lady In The Water was it. 

mamasan

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »

Here is a pet peeve of mine now that I'm posting on this site.  I love Shyamalan, and his movies (in general).  I think he is a brilliant filmmaker, and aspire to be like him, and take cues from him in the creation of my own movies.  However, I do not just accept that whatever he makes is gold, and that the man can do no wrong.  All the greatest filmmakers have had their stinkbombs: Spielberg, Hitchcock, Kubrick (if you're someone who calls him a great filmmaker).  It is perfectly reasonable to expect Shyamalan is capable of a stinker as well, and frankly, I think LITW is an example of that.  It hasn't lessened my appreciation for him or his films any, because I accept that all filmmakers are capable of dropping the ball now and then.  However, it does lend some credence to the Shyamalan "haters" that romp in society, whether over at the IMDB, or elsewhere, when they accuse us Shyamalan fans of mindlessly accepting everything he puts out, and not evaluating the movies with a more open and neutral mind.  I guess it's a little disappointing that there aren't more open-minded M.Night fans here who can step outside the fan box and concede that, yes, Shyamalan did not do the greatest job with LITW.  I don't think saying this makes me any less of a Shyamalan fan as any of you, just because I think he blew it with LITW. 

Now I'm not trying to cause problems, and I'm certainly not an anti-Shyamalan troll just looking to disrupt the boards.  I love Shymalan and his films, and think this is a great site, and I'm glad I found it.  This issue of "homerism" as it can be called has just been bothering me ever since I came here, and I wanted to get it off my chest.  I'm not saying everybody isn't entitled to their own opinion, and that you all should change what you think to disliking the film.  I am really challenging you to look at the film from a more objective, non-M.Night fan's perspective if at all possible, and see if some of your "love" for this movie isn't colored by being a fan of Shyamalan.  Because I think from a critical standpoint, we should all try to be as neutral and unbiased as possible.  I'm sure there are others that frequent this site as well who share my opinion, but are maybe afraid to say it because they don't want to "rock the boat".  Well, I'm not trying to "rock the boat" either really, just throw this thought out there for consideration.  I just know I know a lot of people who are big Shyamalan fans as well, and they too thought this was a bad movie.  So I know I'm not the only M.Night fan out there with this mindset.

Thanks for saying that DIlinator. I am a fan of Shyamalan's movies, too--hey, I'm a member of this Web site, aren't I?:-)--but the near deification of him and everything he touches is an undercurrent in this forum that has bothered me for awhile. Btw, I liked LITW. Didn't think it was his best, but didn't understand the venom it provoked from critics.