Critics Get On My Nerves!

Author Topic: Critics Get On My Nerves!  (Read 4598 times)

DustyFilms

• Praying with Anger

« on: August 08, 2006, 07:15:07 PM »
 As the title says critics get on my nerves they complain about some of the greatest movies in history then when they become classics then they always saw the genius in it. When I was attending film school,I was asked what directors do you look up to and what movies are your favorite? Then I of coarse said Spielberg, Coppola,M. Night ,Cameron, Ridley Scott and George Lucas I named my favorite movie being my favorite because it really pushed me into wanting to make films which was Jurassic Park the laughs and taunting could be heard for 2 minutes or so. My point is they named off a bunch of trendy cool to like directors and then a bunch of the same people who liked the trendy directors named David Lean the 60's equivalent to Spielberg and Alfred Hitchcock the equivalent to M.Night, the ignorance of wannabe's and critics seem to be one and the same, I wonder if these critics are the wannabe's that never made it and are sour grapes to people who make art and make money at the same time ? The Village at first I was disappointed like the critics but once I got over the creatures not being real and watched the film over it was a masterpiece the writing and acting was amazing the camera placement breathe taking. I know the Village and Lady in the water will go down in history as truly great pieces of cinema.

That is all,
Dusty Clark

spikeshinizle

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:40:15 AM »
I totally agree.  I think with M.Night its even worse as so many of them attack him personally and pay little attention to the film itself.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Re: Critics Get On My Nerves!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:40 PM »
Critics don't influence me one bit in my judgement to go see ANY movie, let alone M Night movies.

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »
I know the Village and Lady in the water will go down in history as truly great pieces of cinema

Dusty,
I agree with you on The Village and Lady In The Water. I don't take critics serious at all. They can be right only sometimes and most of the time they are wrong.

The reason I don't take them serious, for they don't know anything about writing scripts, ideas or film making. They can sit and write anything they feel like to.

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
The reason I don't take them serious, for they don't know anything about writing scripts, ideas or film making.

While I would agree that there are a lot of critics who don't know what they're talking about, there are a handful who understanding film writing and film making to a degree which I would consider respectful.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
The reason I don't take them serious, for they don't know anything about writing scripts, ideas or film making.

While I would agree that there are a lot of critics who don't know what they're talking about, there are a handful who understanding film writing and film making to a degree which I would consider respectful.

Yes, but some of them. Most of them knows nothing about movies, writing or film making. Like you said some of them have the qualifications and some are good book writers. I respect Ebert & Roeper.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:42:04 AM »
Who knows what those critics think when they write and destroy a film so easy as they could kill an insect. They don't care about all the people who work behind a movie, the money, time and hard works that's behind each film.
I think we all (also critics) are free to express our opinions, but there must be respect for what the others do. Critics don't usually respect other people's work and systematicly attack films that they consider commercial or "bad movies".

A critic takes a film, looks for some information about director and cast, then writes his 5 lines critic and goes for a beer in a bar, without thinking about what he's done, how the job of a lot of people he has destroyed in 5 lines.

I wrote once a short story about a man who decides to kill the critics who wrote a bad critic about his favourite films, looking for them and making them write a new good critic before dying.  ;D
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
Who knows what those critics think when they write and destroy a film so easy as they could kill an insect. They don't care about all the people who work behind a movie, the money, time and hard works that's behind each film.
I think we all (also critics) are free to express our opinions, but there must be respect for what the others do. Critics don't usually respect other people's work and systematicly attack films that they consider commercial or "bad movies".

A critic takes a film, looks for some information about director and cast, then writes his 5 lines critic and goes for a beer in a bar, without thinking about what he's done, how the job of a lot of people he has destroyed in 5 lines.

I wrote once a short story about a man who decides to kill the critics who wrote a bad critic about his favourite films, looking for them and making them write a new good critic before dying.  ;D

Dude, what about your last paragraph. That could be a really good movie from by "Michael Mann" ahah.... wow...

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 06:12:51 AM »
Well, it's written in spanish, if you give me some time to translate it into english, maybe you would like tor ead it, the story was called "their last critic"
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

AIR NOMAD

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 12:11:47 AM »
It seems that critics reviews only apply to people who are perfectionists and think exactly like the critic.
If the acting in one scene is off, it ruins it for them.  I don't really know too many people like that, not everyone thinks like a critic, which is why the reviews are often off. Some people go to movies just to see the action, or humor or whatever.
Think of it this way: a movie could be deemed the most horrible movie ever by a critic, but if you are in love with the subject matter then the review means nothing to you.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
Nice point Air Nomad.  I agree though in that I don't pay attention to most film critics, though there are a few out there that I respect.  A lot of critics do get on my nerves though.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
Critics mostly get on my nerves when they bash the recent films by M. Night or Cameron Crowe.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
For the most part critics always bash films, unless they're all PC and stuff.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village