What Are Your 1 Or 2 Fave Shyamalan Films And Why?

Author Topic: What Are Your 1 Or 2 Fave Shyamalan Films And Why?  (Read 9535 times)

mathematicalArtist

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    FearEnds WhereFaithBegins
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 08:23:53 PM »
My favorite Shyamalan films are The Village and Lady in the Water, with The Village being my favorite movie of all time.  Why?

1. Great story
2. Wonderful acting
3. Perfect score (soundtrack)
4. Awesome cinematography
5. Good messages/morals
6. And just about everything else...
Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

- Winston Churchill

Neko

• Wide Awake

• http://www.freewebs.com/animangasite
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »
I love all of his movies, except for Praying with Anger, which I haven't seen. But if I had to choose a favorite it would be Lady in the Water.
img]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/Animangasite/Neko_sig.jpg[/img]

Legolas

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »
This is an easy question for me.  Definitely The Village.  This movie changed me forever.  It was the first M. Night Shyamalan film that I saw.  It affected me like no movie ever has or ever will.  I think differently now.  I act differently now.  It really changed me.  I had never enjoyed a love story in a movie before.  I was also pretty sure that I never would.  Come to think of it, I still don't like them, but The Village is different.  It's just such a beautiful movie.  The music is beautiful, the cinematography is beautiful, and the emotions are beautiful.  I could go on for pages about how wonderful this movie is, but words simply can't explain my feelings for it.  I know that it probably seems I have lost my mind, but I can't help it.  I just love this movie.  I saw it for the first time almost a year ago and I couldn't believe that I had wasted two years of my life.

My second favorite MNS movie is Lady in the Water.

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
unbreakable is the best movie ever made.

the village is a close second.

farhan_mnightfan

• Praying with Anger

Fav Night movies
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 04:49:23 AM »
It's hard to tell which M Night movie is the best because
I love them all but if I have to choose I would first say
Unbreakable. Because it would have been so easy for
Night after Sixth sense to go and make a movie on a
similar theme or an out and out horror flick which would
just scare the audience and nothing else. But instead Night
told such a moving story with some fantastic acting.

And my next fav would have to be The Village. Simply
brilliant. Great music and visuals (outstanding cinematography).
Terrific cast and fabulous acting. I love the theme of the movie.
One of Night's best.

visitorkyle97

• Wide Awake

SIGNS visitor
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »
SIGNS. [believing is knowing].

Ichabod

• Wide Awake

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 03:10:12 PM »
As far as I am concerned, I love all Shyamalan's movies.
-Sixth Sense is really good, with an uncredible story, all actors (especially Bruce Willis) are great. This movie made me discover this huge director...
- I love Signs, which was the consecration for me: I understood that over the famous "twist", Shyamalan's movies are deeper, hey have a real meaning. This film made me think of Alfred Hitchcock's "Birds".. Brilliant.
- I was disappointed when I have seen "Unbreakable" for the first time.. I thought it was a little empty, beautiful but.. It missed something. But now, when I see it I think that I may is the most personal Shyamalan's movie, for the style and for the story (meaning of the life, fate..)
- My favourite one: The Village. Just brilliant. Just beautiful, Bryce Dallas Howard is really great, as Sigourney Weaver and Joaquin Phoenix.  An unique atmosphere because of an intelligent story and and unbelievable music. A masterpiece.
- And the last one, his most critized movie, the amazing "Lady in the Water". I loved this movie too: beautiful, philosophical (contrary to his childish side) and very baffling. Most of people didnt' understand the meaning of this film, that's a pity.

1-  The Village
2- Signs
quot;Remember remember the fith of November.."

M. Night Girl

• Wide Awake

Re: What Are Your 1 Or 2 Fave Shyamalan Films And Why?
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 01:22:55 AM »
Wide Awake. Very touching, and beautifully done.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »
It's so hard to decide, I love them all so much. 
5. The Sixth Sense- not quite as personal as his others, still excellent film.
4. Signs- Another great movie, humor, fright, touching characters, great movie when we have the horrors of 9/11 and Katrina.
3. Unbreakable-most original take on superheroes, first time I've felt real pity for the villain in a movie.
2. Lady In The Water-Incredibly beautiful, stunning cinematography, excellent acting, just a great movie.
1. The Village- this barely came out on top, the score is my favorite of all movie scores, the acting-superb all those great actors at their best, the story is excellent, first romance I really enjoyed, the cahracters-intensely personal, just a superb movie.   
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »
Signs...The double meaning in the title, from aliens and from God is as good as it gets.  I love how he went back and forth through time with the flashbacks.  I thought those were spooky, yet beautiful and very suspenseful.  The relationships between all the characters.  The constant denial of Mel Gibson's character of God, then at the end in the basement where finally admits belief, but hating God at the same time.  It's rooted in reality with the crop circles, something we've sen for years before Signs came out.  The basement scene, OMG, is to me in the top all time scary moments in film history.  When Mr. Pheonix knocks out the lightbulb, that was it for me...I mean when the scene came back up with just the flashlight lighting the their feet!  That was out cold!!!  That whole freagin scene was PERECTAMUNDO!!  The Score in the beginning credits reminded me of Psycho.  The acting was superb, when Mel Gibson was eating and crying at the same time, that was good acting.  The suspence with showing the aliens little by little was interesting.

The Sixth Sense.  The clues, The twist at the ending, the subtle horror, the relationship between all the main characters are strong, (something you don't find in many movies, atleast to me you don't).  I enjoyed the acting too.  There were so many scary parts in this movie.  The tear jerkers were both at the end of the movie with all four main characters.  You all know what happens.  This is one of the most suspenseful, emtional, beutiful movies I've ever seen.  The tent scene with the girl vomiting...man...I almost crapped on myself.  LOL         

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 03:06:40 PM »
my number 2 is the sixth sense, because it is just so in your face, like it wraps around you and u can't get away, which is just how Osment's character feels about his life. So we become a part of it. The scary scenes are very ominous the way they don't feel agressive..they just are what they are, and don't seem to care that they're mind-bendingly unnatural and Osment himself gives us the reaction shot we need to put a feeling to the situation. the story itself is heart-warming and hopeful. A nice twist on a classic coming-to-terms and making the best of a situation premise.

my number 1 is, of course (if you know me), The Village, and I won't even try to go into everything I like about it. Let's just say:

1 Very well-told story with many subtle sub-stories to go along with it. The plot holes are inconsequential, due to Shyamalan's ability to suspend our disbelief.
2 Amazing music.
3 The depth of meaning behind every scene and every line. (dense subtext)
4 The additional things like the meanings of names, colors, angles, lighting, etc
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
Lady in the Water and The Village - two philosophically romantic fairytale. Simply magical!
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Lieutenantnike

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »
1st: Signs
It has brilliant cinematography, incredible acting, perfectly-placed comic relief, and just the right amount of horror, shock & awe, and emotion. To me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this film.

2nd: (unsure) Lady in the Water
I felt it could've been a little longer, but I love how much lighter it is than all of his other films. Lady truly stands out in great ways. It's uplifting, fills you with hope, gives you a deep feeling of mystery and intrigue, it's never boring, and surprisingly hilarious. Plus, Night has a huge role in it :p