Films > The Village

The Rocking Chair

(1/14) > >>

Blessed Day:
I know that M. Night's movies have a lot of symbolism in them (ie. red symbolizes evil and water weakness) but what's with the rocking chair that randomely pops up in shots throughout the Village.  Does anyone know what that symbolizes?

Rohan:
That's an great point that you have brought here and in fact it does symbolize something in the film. As far as my opinion concerns and as an script writer myself I can say this by M.Night's vision that that ROCKING CHAIR means "US" we the people who are watching THE WOODS along with villagers. And why that ROCKING CHAIR is empty? It means it US, I guess.

Another reason of ROCKING CHAIR is empty because "NOAH" might be sitting watching or probably somehow M.NIGHT himself. I am telling all this from my opinion as far as I am thinking, I write script myself and I usually try to match up things.

I love the first part of THE VILLAGE, at the very beginning we see a man on the grave and a another camera shot of the VILLAGERS from their back heads watching the WOODS...  which means that we are also watching the WOODS along with those villagers standing. You know  what I mean?

-Rohan

afi_village:
i was thinking about this a lot last time i watched this film.  at one point Ivy's sitting in the chair and her dad tells her that he was sitting there when he found out that ivy was going blind...so for this reason and more that i just can't be stuffed to say i think that the chair symbolizes strength in hard times.  like a strength of spirit and uniting together in hard times sort of vibe, which is a theme running through the entire film.

Rohan:

--- Quote from: "afi_village" ---i was thinking about this a lot last time i watched this film.  at one point Ivy's sitting in the chair and her dad tells her that he was sitting there when he found out that ivy was going blind...so for this reason and more that i just can't be stuffed to say i think that the chair symbolizes strength in hard times.  like a strength of spirit and uniting together in hard times sort of vibe, which is a theme running through the entire film.
--- End quote ---

That's a good point too. STRENGHT.

afi_village:
thankyou!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version