The Rocking Chair

Author Topic: The Rocking Chair  (Read 25391 times)

Blessed Day

• Praying with Anger

The Rocking Chair
« on: September 09, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
I know that M. Night's movies have a lot of symbolism in them (ie. red symbolizes evil and water weakness) but what's with the rocking chair that randomely pops up in shots throughout the Village.  Does anyone know what that symbolizes?

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 02:41:38 AM »
That's an great point that you have brought here and in fact it does symbolize something in the film. As far as my opinion concerns and as an script writer myself I can say this by M.Night's vision that that ROCKING CHAIR means "US" we the people who are watching THE WOODS along with villagers. And why that ROCKING CHAIR is empty? It means it US, I guess.

Another reason of ROCKING CHAIR is empty because "NOAH" might be sitting watching or probably somehow M.NIGHT himself. I am telling all this from my opinion as far as I am thinking, I write script myself and I usually try to match up things.

I love the first part of THE VILLAGE, at the very beginning we see a man on the grave and a another camera shot of the VILLAGERS from their back heads watching the WOODS...  which means that we are also watching the WOODS along with those villagers standing. You know  what I mean?

-Rohan

afi_village

• LITW

The Rocking Chair
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:39:07 PM »
i was thinking about this a lot last time i watched this film.  at one point Ivy's sitting in the chair and her dad tells her that he was sitting there when he found out that ivy was going blind...so for this reason and more that i just can't be stuffed to say i think that the chair symbolizes strength in hard times.  like a strength of spirit and uniting together in hard times sort of vibe, which is a theme running through the entire film.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »
Quote from: "afi_village"
i was thinking about this a lot last time i watched this film.  at one point Ivy's sitting in the chair and her dad tells her that he was sitting there when he found out that ivy was going blind...so for this reason and more that i just can't be stuffed to say i think that the chair symbolizes strength in hard times.  like a strength of spirit and uniting together in hard times sort of vibe, which is a theme running through the entire film.

That's a good point too. STRENGHT.

afi_village

• LITW

The Rocking Chair
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:38:28 AM »
thankyou!
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Indyslf

The Rocking Chair
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 01:45:48 PM »
Quote from: "Rohan"
That's an great point that you have brought here and in fact it does symbolize something in the film. As far as my opinion concerns and as an script writer myself I can say this by M.Night's vision that that ROCKING CHAIR means "US" we the people who are watching THE WOODS along with villagers. And why that ROCKING CHAIR is empty? It means it US, I guess.

Another reason of ROCKING CHAIR is empty because "NOAH" might be sitting watching or probably somehow M.NIGHT himself. I am telling all this from my opinion as far as I am thinking, I write script myself and I usually try to match up things.
-Rohan

Or it could mean someone is off their rocker. (I'm not pointing any fingers, of course. :) Wouldn't want to poke myself in the eye... :wink:)

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 05:43:53 PM »
Quote from: "Indyslf"

-Rohan

Or it could mean someone is off their rocker. (I'm not pointing any fingers, of course. :) Wouldn't want to poke myself in the eye... :wink:)

What you mean? I didn't get your point of view, sorry about that.

-Rohan

Indyslf

The Rocking Chair
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 11:02:26 PM »

-Rohan

-Rohan

Oops. Sorry. It was supposed to be a self-deprecating joke. :oops: I was simply pointing out the play on words--you know, an empty rocking chair, being 'off one's rocker' in terms of sanity, etc. .... That's what I get for trying to be clever.  :)  ...Actually, I had had a discussion with someone on another MNS web site about the monster in the woods being a symbol for the things humans do to protect their sanity in a violent world. (Kinda hard to explain, but I'm sure it was a brilliant discussion.:)) So I was thinking along the lines of the empty rocking chair being a metaphor for losing one's mind. For instance, Ivy would've had a really slippery grip on reality if she had not been blind and had been able to see the guard house, without having a proper context for it. ... Sorry if I was confusing. I'm getting my conversations on different chat boards mixed up, I think. (It's hell getting old.:))

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 01:44:54 AM »

-Rohan

-Rohan

Oops. Sorry. It was supposed to be a self-deprecating joke. :oops: I was simply pointing out the play on words--you know, an empty rocking chair, being 'off one's rocker' in terms of sanity, etc. .... That's what I get for trying to be clever.  :)  ...Actually, I had had a discussion with someone on another MNS web site about the monster in the woods being a symbol for the things humans do to protect their sanity in a violent world. (Kinda hard to explain, but I'm sure it was a brilliant discussion.:)) So I was thinking along the lines of the empty rocking chair being a metaphor for losing one's mind. For instance, Ivy would've had a really slippery grip on reality if she had not been blind and had been able to see the guard house, without having a proper context for it. ... Sorry if I was confusing. I'm getting my conversations on different chat boards mixed up, I think. (It's hell getting old.:))

Well, that explained it buddy. It's alright. Well the question to ROCKING CHAIR, what is it stands for in the movie isn't yet cleared. Anyone else would like to jump in and say some piece of their mind regarding the meaning of ROCKING chair in THE VILLAGE?

-Rohan

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »
I've got a theory about that.It may be a little strange,but I like thinking so.I don't know if I'll be able to explain it well.However,let's try.
When you are sitting on a rocking chair you are moving,right?But you are going nowhere,because while moving up and down you're still there in the same place.In my opinion the villagers,sometimes,would like to go away from the village,to escape for a moment,especially in sad or bad circumstances,maybe just to think about it (see Ivy's father),or because they are afraid of something (see Noah,after having wondered Lucius).I think it's difficult for human being to remain always in the same little place...
This is my personal opinion,there can be a thousand others,at least :wink:
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 07:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "marco"
I've got a theory about that.It may be a little strange,but I like thinking so.I don't know if I'll be able to explain it well.However,let's try.
When you are sitting on a rocking chair you are moving,right?But you are going nowhere,because while moving up and down you're still there in the same place.In my opinion the villagers,sometimes,would like to go away from the village,to escape for a moment,especially in sad or bad circumstances,maybe just to think about it (see Ivy's father),or because they are afraid of something (see Noah,after having wondered Lucius).I think it's difficult for human being to remain always in the same little place...
This is my personal opinion,there can be a thousand others,at least :wink:

LOL, your make sense as well. Good job.
Never thought about it.

-Rohan

The Rocking Chair
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 08:56:13 PM »
I'd always wondered about this as well... good points.

Indyslf, I thought you were talking about Noah when you mentioned someone being off their rocker.  :P

afi_village

• LITW

The Rocking Chair
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
i really got this idea from marco, with the chair is moving thing...

it represents a change in your life with which you are forced to move forward despite your desires to stay in one point.  maybe because in that moment of your life you feel safe and happy, and you know when your life shifts it will most likely be for the worst.  

i don't usually write down stuff when i think i'm over analysing, but just then i did...

but i totally agree with the escapism thing, makes much more sense than what i just said!

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
The Rocking Chair
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:16 AM »
i just think that the rocker was a reminder to mr. walker that hard times happen even when they ran from a place where they all had hard times..

filmguy450

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Rocking Chair= Strength
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 10:23:39 PM »
I agree with the idea of it being strength, but it's the strength to move on with your life (as some of you were just saying) from some sort of event ( blind daughter, death of a loved one). When it's empty i believe it's because all the villagers feel that they are safe and strong enough to do what they must (even if they really aren't).
hat good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake?