WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER : LITW.

Author Topic: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER : LITW.  (Read 15600 times)

okokokok

• LITW

Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER : LITW.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 04:14:20 AM »
I like all the characters in this film. I totally like Reggie.  He is so frikkin hilarious.  I like when he is like cruisin around the party at the end and he's givin' little head bobs to people like "hey man, what's up".

Mr. Glass, I am also curious about what characters you would like to have more depth and why?

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
I mean the characters like the family of the five sisters, the only time you really saw them was in two scenes.  YOu got character development for Reggie, Mrs. Bell, and Mr. Leeds, but not Joey, the man with no secrets, or the family.  So Night got to half of the group, giving them character development, but it seems like he never got around to the other half.  Do you get what I'm saying.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

swiveltam

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 09:12:56 AM »
I know what your saying, but in what way would it have helped the story. How is that important. I still don't see they "why" in developing those characters. I think we have a decent enough understanding of Joey, through his wife. I also think the sisters although separate, are to be veiwed as a whole. But I do see the contrast in the sisters vs. the group of guys that Mr. Heep thinks is the guild.

Hmmmmmm

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 10:32:11 AM »
My favorite charachters were The Guild, the pot smoking guild that is, Mr. Heep, Mr. Farber, and Young Soon!  I would like to see these people in a movie by themselves!  That would be very interesting!   :o  Hehe.

Not to stray from the subject, but does anyone know if any of the pot smokers have played in anything else?  I havnt looked, but was just wondering.

Not to stray from the subject again, but Mr. Glasse's response was about something I wrote on another thread.

I think, at least through my eyes, the movie was jam packed full of information!  Which is great!  But the audience was thrown into it all, and then all of a sudden, we meet story and everything keeps moving till the end. 
So, I think thre should have been a little more character develp as well.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »
I agree with Swiveltam, but I don't necessarily disagree with anyone else.  I think I just see it as a question of, why more character development is needed for characters that the movie isn't necessarily about?  That is, their part in the story is that they are members of the guild(however, on a subtextual level, there is more to be said for them I think).  What more should be developed there, as far as the story is concerned, unless someone just wants to know more about them?  Am I making sense?  What is the line as far as what characters need development in a story?  It really seems it is a personal preference.  Sometimes parts of movies and characters are cut back in movies because the writer or director maybe feels the part or character is getting away from the main point of the movie.  Basically, they are trying to make the story tighter.  But sometimes they cut too much and don't add enough of one scene or character.  That's maybe what happened for some people.  For me, I don't know what more I am interested in know about the 5 sisters, or other peripheral characters, but that's my opinion.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »
Yeah, its hard.  Like you said, it's a preference of what one likes. 

Why is it though that "most" people (whether a BIG M. Night fans, or a casual movie goer) think that this is not their fav. M. Night movie?

No offense to those who like this one the best, but it seems to me that most people have this film lower on the list.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
I personally really liked the film.  What I feel like though, is the movie is riding on the discovery of these new people, not the people you had previously thought were important, but you don't have motives or an understanding of the character.  For example, I thought Mr. Leeds was done well, you understood him, and when he showed up at the end, he wanted to belive like a child again, which is part of what they needed, faith that Story would be allright.  But with the sisters, it was like, why are they here, or the man with no secrets.  Do you get what I'm saying.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
Mr. Glass, I absolutely get what you are saying.  The sisters and the man with no secrets seem to have a less tangible reason for being a part of the story.  However, Joey did say the sisters are there to add strength to the moment when talking about saving Story.  So with them, there is some significance, even if it is not as direct as being a guardian or a healer.  The man with no secrets is their as a witness, but it is still not as significant as some other characters' rolls.  On a subtextual level though, I feel that there is more meaning to M Nights writing concerning such things as the guild, like the number 7 (the number of members in the guild), and it's significance in religion and spirituality.  As well, the idea that the guild is made up of ONLY women is certainly suggestive of something I think.  In the end though, I can see how someone might want more from those characters, even if I felt they weren't lacking. 

The following is my Edit:

Why is it though that "most" people (whether a BIG M. Night fans, or a casual movie goer) think that this is not their fav. M. Night movie?

I can't really answer that for sure.  Even though I see this movie as being very similar to Unbreakable thematically, I think Lady in the Water is just much more different than any of his other movies.  It is much less mainstream then his other movies, and that might be something.  In fact, this type of movie is historically non-mainstream, generally speaking.  These examples have been brought up in the past, but I'd say it is similar to Edward Scissorhands and The Princess Bride (there are others), which were movies that were not as successful in their original releases as they were years later.  This is not to say that Lady in the Water will ever have a large following like those movies, but rather that the subject matter and the idea of mixing fantasy with reality is somewhat similar, and that's maybe why all of them weren't hits right out of the gate.  Who knows. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:39:58 PM by okokokok »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2008, 08:36:17 AM »
I understand, and I think it's too bad that people won't like it.  O well, I know I love it, people won't be able to change my opinion.  I hope one day it gathers a larger following.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »
Good point there about the following okokokok!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
Ok.  Here is a question that I hope someone can answer. 

I was just watching a KETC (chan. 9) segment, and they were talking movies.  They had this movie critic guy on there with the name Steven Farber.  I kid you not!  He looked just like Mr. Farber from LITW!  Same bald head, same glasses, same size, same deminor, same everything! 

Now, was the character Mr. Farber in LITW based off this "real" guy?  I have never heard of this guy before.  If its not, then... wow, night has some major skills.  Period.   :o
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »
No way, I've never heard of that guy, but if he's for real, that's crazy. :o ;D

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
Does anyone else know anything about this guy?  Seriously, it was creepy.    :o
      M. Night Shyamalan

swiveltam

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »
I found this: http://movies.nytimes.com/person/769643/Steven-Farber/filmography

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-tc25sep25,1,3929866,full.column?coll=la-travel-headlines

GEORGIA

Movies and a costume ball

CELEBRATE cinema and Halloween in the garden of good and evil on a five-day trip to the annual Savannah Film Festival.

The Oct. 28 trip to Georgia, led by Los Angeles film critic Steven Farber, will feature screenings, discussions and parties, including a Halloween costume bash. The group also will spend a day exploring historic Savannah.

Cost: $1,570 per person, double occupancy ($400 single surcharge), including hotel, some meals, film-festival pass and excursions.

Contact: Let's Travel, Santa Monica; (800) 458-7477, Ext. 58, http://www.letstravel-sm.com .

Also, it seems that there was a critic in the 50's named Steven Farber, perhaps Night was giving hommage to him? Who knows, but it does seem to be a fairly common name.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks Swiveltam!  I wish they would show a picture of him on those sites.  Darn.  Maybe I should to some more digging.   :-\
      M. Night Shyamalan