Who or What is this Movie Based on?

Author Topic: Who or What is this Movie Based on?  (Read 4382 times)

AfraidOfTheDark

• Praying with Anger

Who or What is this Movie Based on?
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:13:21 PM »
I was just wondering who or what was this movie based on? 

I saw somewhere that there is a ghost hunter person in CT who list that the inspiration for Cole was based off of her son.  Someone who wrote a book The Other Side.  I think her site is www.paranormalhelp.com and looks like she is getting ready to tour under this theme with others.

Some others told me NO that is impossible and talk about some Afraid of the Dark series back in the early 1990's and that her son was born in 1989 and there was no way as her book and website state it all started when her son was 5 years old (about 1994).

Seems like this would be misleading if not based on her son.

Just curious who knows if true or not?

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
Re: Who or What is this Movie Based on?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »
Alright, I've done some short searching on Imdb.com for you.

The movie references quite a lot other movies, and "Are You Affraid Of The Dark" was a huge insperation for Night:
"Are You Afraid of the Dark?: The Tale of the Dream Girl (#3.10)" (1994)
 -  This episode was the insporation for the movie, according to the movie's director.

More: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167404/movieconnections

It could be that M. Night was inspired by both stories, since his movie was writen in 1998/'99, but I can't find any confirms on that. I hope this helps you with your question!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

AfraidOfTheDark

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
Ok, so that is 1994 then.  If her child was born in 1989, that would make him at most 5 in that year.  Her webiste states it all started when he was 5 and the book The Other Side says it all started when he was 10 years old.

If it all started even if 5 then it would seem not developed enough to be the inspiration for Cole in the movie and that this episode would have been written during that year or prior to that.

What are other time references M Night makes mention of for the inspiration of the Sixth Sense?

Wish he could come and answer this question concerning the inspiration of the character Cole and this paranormal person.

Someone could be misleading here and looking to make a buck by attaching their son to the movie in this manner.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »
Well, Night uses many 'strange' things in daily life and attaches them to 'The dead'. Like the temperature dropping, and the goosbumps.

Also, the fact that someone is 'seeing' paranormal things like ghosts, is not new. He may have been inspired by shows like Twilight Zone, or a avarage horror movie.

I don't think Night was inspired by the story that you found. I actually do not believe in dead souls and stuff, so I will call it a scam. But I'm open to see some evidence that her story confirms.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
Hey Erik, thanks for the info, I had never heard about any of this stuff, and new information is always cool.  I think Night might have pulled a little from other sources, but  most of it is his own inspiration.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
I get the impression the woman who said this is trying to find her claim to fame.

But lets be honest, ALL writers borrow inspiration.  Even in Signs, Night used statements about the crop circles almost verbatim from documentaries on crop circles.  Being a UFO-fanatic, i immediately remembered the crop circles documentaries i watched, or unsolved mysteries...

the statements like "it can't be by hand, it's too perfect" and other statements when they first discover them - are exactly what the people in the documentary were saying.

speaking of this documentary - they showed a group of people with some rope, two by fours and some creativity can create crop circles overnight...

they mystery was explaining the really really big ones without footprints around.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »
Good point MrStone.  It does appear that this woman is just trying to get herself fame by accusing Night, but some people do that, unfortunately. :-\

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
I think its just a another ghost story originally from the mind of a genius man name "M.Night Shyamalan". It's fiction story about a  guy with an outstanding, shocking ending in the (end). Told and made very carefully and masterfully.

Everybody has fears and its based on sense of all of us.

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
That's true Rohan, good point, I do like how Night pulls ordinary fears of ours, and turns them into themes for his movies.