The Rocking Chair

Author Topic: The Rocking Chair  (Read 24337 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: The Rocking Chair
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
Dialogue can TELL you what they are feeling, and facial expressions can SHOW you what they are feeling, but only through the abstract can you FEEL what they are feeling. Emotion is something you can only TRULY experience from the inside. Art is that which triggers within the OBSERVER what the artist wanted to convey.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »
And that is often done through character interaction and dialogue.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »
Dialogue can TELL you what they are feeling, and facial expressions can SHOW you what they are feeling, but only through the abstract can you FEEL what they are feeling. Emotion is something you can only TRULY experience from the inside. Art is that which triggers within the OBSERVER what the artist wanted to convey.

Ok,that's right,but dialogue itself may contain symbolism as well: for example,if someone,while speaking,uses a metaphor,or a simile...this can be a good way to convey feelings to the viewer/reader.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
That's a good point.  Almost like an image within an image.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »
I think it's more than this.Symbolism is the best way to show emotions and feelings in a movie.

Symbolism is the ONLY way to convey emotion. That's why art exists.

Why?What about dialogue,for example?It's still a way to express feelings,isn't it?

Marco, if I tell you I am angry, do you feel it? Have I really conveyed the emotion or have I just told you about it? What if I don't know what the word "angry" means? Also, dialogue can be art if it really gets you to feel what the author intended.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »
I think it's more than this.Symbolism is the best way to show emotions and feelings in a movie.

Symbolism is the ONLY way to convey emotion. That's why art exists.

Why?What about dialogue,for example?It's still a way to express feelings,isn't it?

Marco, if I tell you I am angry, do you feel it? Have I really conveyed the emotion or have I just told you about it? What if I don't know what the word "angry" means? Also, dialogue can be art if it really gets you to feel what the author intended.

Wow, it's been a while, isn't it?   :D
However, I get your point and I totally agree with you, especially the last thing you said, that is almost what I said some time ago in a previous post: the author can express feelings and convey them to the reader/watcher through the right use of figures of speech. Of course, he has to be a talented one, because that is not an easy job, but it is possible for a good writer/storyteller. Otherwise, why we're supposed to read a book?
"Welcome to The Cove"