I watched this again about a year ago.

Author Topic: I watched this again about a year ago.  (Read 898 times)

Specter

• Administrator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• NarniaFans
I watched this again about a year ago.
« on: July 03, 2015, 11:47:08 PM »
I was sick one day and put in my Last Airbender Blu-ray. It has been years since I've viewed the animated series (at least 5 years) and I had only seen the first season of The Legend of Korra (still haven't seen the rest... I didn't like Korra).

With all of that in mind, I found that I enjoyed The Last Airbender immensely. It's a beautifully directed film, with incredible visuals. Yeah, the script felt stilted and sometimes had dialog that would be cut out of a movie that was made for an older audience (for example, when subtitling a foreign film, it starts with every line word for word, and only essential lines are kept as the movie is finished). Slightly different than editing for subtitles, but you get my point. "The ice is cracking" doesn't need to be said... show don't tell. And we all know that Shyamalan is a master at showing without telling, so this was more of a decision from the studio at some point. It's a movie for children, afterall.

From what I gathered, Shyamalan wrote a screenplay that would have been a three hour plus length movie. That's the length of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. That would have been enough time to tell the essential moments of season 1 of the animated series. It was also described by those that read it as "beautiful," and was one of the reasons the creators of the series were so excited to have Night directing it.

When Paramount required it be chopped to an hour and a half, and made for a younger audience, both Shyamalan and the creators started to write the movie off. They'll never blame Paramount for it. Instead, the creators of the series took to blaming Shyamalan. Unprofessional. They knew darn well he was not to blame. They were just catering to the fans. Pandering, really. They seemed to do a lot of that with Korra.

Shyamalan takes the blame, too, though. But he's doing it in a professional manner, even though it's not his fault. His name is on the screenplay, but he did not write the final draft. Ghost writers came in and wrote something Paramount wanted to see.

Another event happened on the Paramount lot... about 4 months before the movie came out, it was screened. A 2+ hour long version. It was well received.

What happened? Paramount.