Paul Giamatti

Author Topic: Paul Giamatti  (Read 5340 times)

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Paul Giamatti
« on: March 25, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
There was an interview in the magazine MovieMaker with Paul G!  He is so funny!  There was one thing I wanted to share that he said.

MM:Q  Of all the characters youve played, which was the most challenging?

Paul G:A  I believe the characterwas called "man in sleeping bag."  A homelessguy.  It may have just been "man."  Who knows.  It was an episode of "NYPD Blue."  We were in a squatters village below the Manhattan Bridge.  I was lying in real human feces.  A real lunatic who lived there in a huge drainage pipe of some kind would crawl out occasionally and pelt me with debris, describing me to anyone who cared to listen as an "asshome Hollywood faggot."  He had a point.  They had to pay him a lot to stay in his pipe.  Good for him.  I had one line.  Something like, 'I dont know nothin' man.'  I screwed it up.  I sat around all day.  At one point I got thrown off the set by a P.A. who thought I was a real "man in sleeping bag."  I was nervous; disoriented.

This question and answer with him really made me feel good, it also made me laugh.  The media always blows everything out of proportion and makes people feel like they have always been "Super Stars."  They have always been perfect and always will be.  But here is Paul G. who doesnt care one bit about what people think, he just wants to act.  If he gets an Oscar, fine, its just a minature golden person to him.  He just wants to act, thats all there is to it.

The film biz is lots of hard work, but if you love the hard work, and keep drudging through all the "feces" you will eventually get to do what your dream is.   ;D  Just thought it was an encouraging article!  Wish I could post it all but my fingers have homwork to do.   ;D  Have fun!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Re: Paul Giamatti
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
Thanks for the post Lifeordeath1.  That is encouraging, and funny.  It puts a human face on Hollywood, which I think it needs more of.  Paul Giamatti is a really good actor, and he loves it, which shows thourhg in his work. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »
He cracked me up in "The Man who heard Voices!"  I would love to meet, or work with him someday just to chat with him and get the real deal.  That would be great!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:09:57 PM »
He seems like such a nice guy, and interesting to talk to.  You could probably learn lots of cool stuff from him and he wouldn't mind telling you.  Unfortunately I've only seen him in Lady In The Water, oh, and Saving Private Ryan.

Unbroken

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
You should see him in The Illusionist, Mr. Glass 1. He gives one of they few really good performances in that movie.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:00:37 PM by Unbroken »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 08:54:33 AM »
I haven't seen that, I saw The Prestige and thought it was better than what I'd heard people say about the Illusionist, though all the critics thought Paul Giamatti did an excellent job in that. 

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:54 AM »
The Illutionist was way better than the Prestiege.  Period!  Everyone I know made a big deal about the Prestiege and I thought it was boring.  The Illutionist kept you thinking till the end, and yes, Paul did give a great performance!  Actually, the Ill. from what I remember, seems like something M. Night would do, anybody agree?

As for as Paul's performances, you most certianly have to see Cinderella Man!  He totally should have recieved and acadamy award for that!  I was very dissapointed that the film didnt do well either, because the acting and cine. was just outstanding!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about Cinderella Man, yes he was amazing in that, loved his character also.  That was a really good film, though I have trouble watching the scene where he asks the owner for money.  I agree though, he should have at least been nominated for best supporting actor.

Unbroken

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:01 AM »
Quote Lifeordeath 1: "Actually, the Ill. from what I remember, seems like something M. Night would do, anybody agree?"

Yeah I think so. As to The Illusionist being better than The Prestige, I can't say so. The characters in The Prestige were a lot deeper, and the "magic" in The Illusionist didn't make much sense. I still enjoyed it though, and I liked the artistic atmosphere The Illusionist had, but I don't think it was any better. Perhaps if I hadn't known the twist in The Illusionist beforehand I would have enjoyed it even more, but I still think The Prestige had a more professional and realistic feel to it. That's just my opinion though.

Back to Paul Giamatti; he also plays a minor role in one of my favorite movies, The Truman Show. Here's the trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120382/trailers-screenplay-E10044-310

It's about a man (played by Jim Carrey) who learns his entire life is actually a staged TV show.  :o Check it out sometime.

--- We accept the reality with which we are presented. ---

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
OH MY GOSH!  YOU ARE RIGHT!  PAUL DOES PLAY IN THAT MOVIE!  I OWN THAT!  GREAT FILM!  As soon as I read what you typed, I thought, "What the heck is he talking...  OOOooooohhhh!  He's right!"  He did do a great job in that!  HAHA!

Mr. Glass  How come you couldnt watch the part where Cinderella Man asked for money?  I was such a strong scene.
      M. Night Shyamalan

swiveltam

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
Certainly you have seen him in "Sideways?" What about "Fred Claus?" He was VERY funny. I think "funny" and poignant are so much harder than straight drama. I get so bored at the Academy Awards with all the angst riddren actors taking the gold. Anyway, I think Paul's got it going on, he can make you laugh and than break your heart right after you finish your last guffaw.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
Unforutnately I have not watched Sideways yet, though I want to.  Lifeordeath1, I can watch that scene, I just have touble, it so emotionally wrenching, depressing, sad, angering, and great when Paul Giamatti asks Russel Crowe how much money he needs.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:19:49 PM »
I hear ya Mr. Glass, it is gut wrenching scene.   :'(
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »
Have you ever seen A Little Princess, it has one of those scenes also.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 04:46:58 PM »
Never heard of it.
      M. Night Shyamalan