Pan's Labyrinth-Real or Fake

Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth-Real or Fake  (Read 15255 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Pan's Labyrinth-Real or Fake
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
I saw Pan's Labyrinth about a month ago, me and a few others.  At the end of the movie I thought it all was real, but I have talked to several other people who think it was all in her imagination.  I wanted to know what other people thought.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Unbroken

Re: Pan's Labyrinth-Real or Fake
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:21:54 AM »
It had to be real, considering the tragic pregnancy that the shrieking of the sick looking plant-baby thing caused when it was thrown into the fire.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
That's what I was thinking, and all the other little things that show up, the flower budding at the end, just all those little details.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 03:18:53 AM »
yeah, but at the end where the flower is budding there's also a voice over saying it is a world only visible to certain people or something like that. But i think the whole thing could just be a sort of psychological defense mechanism for a little girl in her preteen years (which are crazy for anyone) who is going thru some seriously messed up stuff in her life. And she uses her fantasies to explain things that are happening around her as well as to escape them. I'll admit i had the same debate with my mom when we watched it together, and I wasnt 100% sure either way at the time. Now it's been a while and ive forgotten the details. So if you're that special type of person, it was meant to be real, and if you're not..then it wasnt meant to be real; and that makes it a brilliant movie in that it can have two realities which are both equally true and intentional. The daydreamer wants it to be real and needs it to be real and feels sorry for the realist who doesnt experience the fantastic in their life, while the realist "knows" such things are childish and a waste of time and really just pities the daydreamer for their false hopes.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
Real. Did I mention it's one of the greatest movies I've ever seen!!!!???

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
yeah, but at the end where the flower is budding there's also a voice over saying it is a world only visible to certain people or something like that. But i think the whole thing could just be a sort of psychological defense mechanism for a little girl in her preteen years (which are crazy for anyone) who is going thru some seriously messed up stuff in her life. And she uses her fantasies to explain things that are happening around her as well as to escape them. I'll admit i had the same debate with my mom when we watched it together, and I wasnt 100% sure either way at the time. Now it's been a while and ive forgotten the details. So if you're that special type of person, it was meant to be real, and if you're not..then it wasnt meant to be real; and that makes it a brilliant movie in that it can have two realities which are both equally true and intentional. The daydreamer wants it to be real and needs it to be real and feels sorry for the realist who doesnt experience the fantastic in their life, while the realist "knows" such things are childish and a waste of time and really just pities the daydreamer for their false hopes.

Well put.

Decadent Sympozium

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
Nope, not real. The world war in Europe was as bloody and as sick as it can get. The Pan's labyrinth as whole is an average european war drama, nothing special in it, except for the fantasy touch. The directors of warish movies in Europe also do not have the needed insight because of their very critical and limited opinion of a thing called war all of them went through, as you know, the Europe is one big nasty warfield for over 3000 years. All the screenwritter did was replacing images of other common war goesarounds that were interpreted in movies (girl hanging out with particular boy while war is going on, dreams, comic writting, etc) with the mythical creatures. As the war situation tightens around them, the escape to fantasy expands. Eventually, as the situation collapses, the fantasy collapses aswell; with a little symbolic touch of her departure to eternal kingdom - because, the way they died - they were collected, the holes were digged, and they were tossed together into it. Or just left there to rott. Sad, indeed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:56:39 PM by Decadent Sympozium »
Manoj Night Shyamalan is Charles Baudelaire of movie art. That is non-deniable. Baudelaire's value is non-deniable.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
Sorry to rekindle this dead post but just watched the directors commentary of this yesterday and, while Del Torro says it can be interpreted in different ways, he believes it to be real.

The evidence he gives is that there is no way to explain where the chalk came from (which is proven to be real when the Captain picks it up) and no way to explain how Ofelia escaped from the guarded room.

But like am I seeing this the wrong way?...Surely everyone knows it isn't real 'cos magic chalk and fairies ect don't exist??

It's like debating the factuality of Finding Nemo. (Ok last time I mention Finding Nemo on here)

Lol like by saying it's real is Del Torro actually saying magic exists...like wtf?

Anyway I highly recommend listening to the Director's Commentary. Made me appreciate the film and Del Torro himself a whole lot more. Best commentary i've heard probably. Finding Nemo's is also pretty good. (Damn it!)

Like Del Torro says he made the Captain use a magnifying glass in a few scenes to be symbolic of how he is so fixiated on the small details that his perception of the big picture has been blurred.

Yeah goosebumps alright.

Interesting fact: The guy that plays Pan and Pale Man in Labrynth also played one of those Tartutic things in LITW. Tartutic #4 according to IMDb. Weren't there only 3 of those things? Whatever

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:25:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing it. I have to buy a dvd of PL.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »
LMAO  tartutic #4  hahaha maybe he was the drawing

btw, rohan, if you turn the brightness down about halfway, you can see a picture of jesus in your banner  ;x
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:45:13 AM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 12:17:26 PM »
btw, rohan, if you turn the brightness down about halfway, you can see a picture of jesus in your banner  ;x

Haha I'm curious to know how you discovered that?

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »

For real? How?  ???

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 12:44:09 AM »
lol my brightness is screwed up anyway and my monitor is always dark. you can see it by turning down your own monitor's brightness or by editing the picture.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 08:36:07 AM »
I'm not seeing it, where in the picture am I supposed to look.  Also, with regard to the Pan's Labyrinth thing, even though you may believe things like that don't exist in real life, in the movie do you think they're real.  I do, and I feel like I'm backed up by the director.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »
it's on the left-most part of the right-most third, toward the bottom. And yeah i've heard the director say it was meant to be real, but i think he shouldnt have said that. He should have left it up to the viewer to decide. That makes the movie much more impactful.