Question about 2 disc Blue Ray DVDs.

Author Topic: Question about 2 disc Blue Ray DVDs.  (Read 3590 times)

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Question about 2 disc Blue Ray DVDs.
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:03 AM »
Does anyone know if blue ray dvds come with double disc bonus features? 

Let me explain.  When dvds are sold with 2 discs (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable) I always buy those versions.  Even though these versions are about $8 more I love to see all the other behind the scenes footage.  But since dvds are, very slowly I might add, dwindling, and more blue ray dvds are starting to come out, does blue ray come with two discs versions as well?  Or is there more room for all that other footage on one disc and they just put it on there?

OR!  Are blue ray discs even going to have all that extra footage?  OR!  Are they just going to be like a regular 1 disc dvd?  (The cheaper version than the double disc.)

There are some movies out there that I really want to buy with the double disc versions, but I would rather buy a blue disc (since our TV is going out and will up-grade to prob high def.) instead of buying a dvd version.  BUT!  I dont want to miss all the other footage!

If anyone can make heads or tails about what I am trying to say and ask and possibly might have some insight, it would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Unbroken

Re: Question about 2 disc Blue Ray DVDs.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
To my understanding, a blue ray disc can have 6 times more stuff on it than a regular disk, or something like that. So I don't think there is ever a need for them to make two-disk sets, unless they have like a hundred hours of special features...

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the reply.  I thought they had a lot of storage space on them.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:41:16 PM »
You need a Blu-ray Player to watch Blu-ray Discs though - and those go for $400.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:31:30 AM »
Yeah,as already said,because of the bigger space you have on a blu-ray disc,there's no need to make a double disc edition: all the extra features of the 2-disc special edition of the dvd version should be present as well on the blu-ray single disc version (see I am legend,for example).
"Welcome to The Cove"

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:10:14 AM »
That's a lot of money.  Is the quality that much better?  Are DVD's going out that fast?
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »
Yes,it's quite expensive now,but the quality is much better than a dvd.
Probably the blu-ray will replace the dvd just as the dvd replaced the old vhs,but this won't happen very soon.
"Welcome to The Cove"

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:32:43 AM »
From a technical standpoint the difference between a DVD and Blu-ray is greater than the difference between VHS and DVD. Blu-ray discs, which present films with high definition video and audio, allow for viewers to watch films in a resolution that is 6 times greater than DVD is and audio that is three times crisper. Granted, you will need the right equipment (a good HDTV and HD-capable surround sound receiver) in order to get the best presentation out of your Blu-ray player (and there goes another $400). 

The difference though, in my opinion, is astonishing. At first you might feels getting DVD's upconverted on a HDTV is good enough but watching films in High Definition can be a truly eye opening experience. After a while it becomes easier to accept a high definition source over Standard DVD sources as well so it is wise to try and invest in high definition.

As for an example of an eye opening experience: watching Stanley Kubrick's The Shining on HD-DVD. That. Was. Awesome.

I never before could see all the detail and clarity to the picture quality. I never got to see the film in the theater (for an obvious reason: I wasn't alive) but from all the different versions that had been released the new high definition transfer (identical to what is on the Blu-ray release) was astonishing. Kubrick seriously filled the film with loads of details. They are more apparent than ever. As if that isn't enough you can finally see the hotel the characters stay in with high clarity which allows for a greater sense of what it would be like for them to be stuck there for months on end without interaction with an outside world.

If you can afford it: make the leap to high definition.

If not... well, wait for prices to drop and once you can afford it make an effort to upgrade.

By the way everyone, make sure your local store doesn't turn you off of buying a HD-TV with these RETARDED new "motion" effect displays that add artificial motion to film. It's supposed to give them an even more three-dimensional appeal and apparently some like it. It's more like a stage play only on most films you can also tell it is artifical enhancement that detracts from the picture and makes it display downright weird. Apparently some people like the look of this... I think it's CRAP. I want movies to still look like MOVIES. Plus the TV's that carry this feature do a bad job of it anyway. So be careful when purchasing your HDTV. Some of them are now being made with this whacked out feature PERMANENTLY programmed to the set. Others have an option of turning it on and off. Obviously, if you can just turn it off than you have nothing to worry about.

So, anyway, I just thought I'd give a heads up.

As for storage on Blu-ray most 2-disc DVD releases have been released as one disc Blu-ray titles because the bonus material is still presented in Standard and so it does not take up as much room on the disc and can fit with the movie. Some Blu-ray titles have two discs though. This is only the case when the second disc holds bonus material that is presented in High Definition and a second disc is required in order to present the amount of materials available (even if, in fact, only a couple hours of bonus materials wind up on the second disc).

As for the Blu-ray releases of M. Night's films so far the DVD editions that are the nicest (such as the Vista Editions) were faithfully transfered over to the Blu-ray releases. The two disc DVD's bonus materials have all been preserved on their Blu-ray counterparts.  They are only presented in standard definition though.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:53:59 AM »
From a technical standpoint the difference between a DVD and Blu-ray is greater than the difference between VHS and DVD. Blu-ray discs, which present films with high definition video and audio, allow for viewers to watch films in a resolution that is 6 times greater than DVD is and audio that is three times crisper. Granted, you will need the right equipment (a good HDTV and HD-capable surround sound receiver) in order to get the best presentation out of your Blu-ray player (and there goes another $400). 

The difference though, in my opinion, is astonishing. At first you might feels getting DVD's upconverted on a HDTV is good enough but watching films in High Definition can be a truly eye opening experience. After a while it becomes easier to accept a high definition source over Standard DVD sources as well so it is wise to try and invest in high definition.

As for an example of an eye opening experience: watching Stanley Kubrick's The Shining on HD-DVD. That. Was. Awesome.

I never before could see all the detail and clarity to the picture quality. I never got to see the film in the theater (for an obvious reason: I wasn't alive) but from all the different versions that had been released the new high definition transfer (identical to what is on the Blu-ray release) was astonishing. Kubrick seriously filled the film with loads of details. They are more apparent than ever. As if that isn't enough you can finally see the hotel the characters stay in with high clarity which allows for a greater sense of what it would be like for them to be stuck there for months on end without interaction with an outside world.

If you can afford it: make the leap to high definition.

If not... well, wait for prices to drop and once you can afford it make an effort to upgrade.

By the way everyone, make sure your local store doesn't turn you off of buying a HD-TV with these RETARDED new "motion" effect displays that add artificial motion to film. It's supposed to give them an even more three-dimensional appeal and apparently some like it. It's more like a stage play only on most films you can also tell it is artifical enhancement that detracts from the picture and makes it display downright weird. Apparently some people like the look of this... I think it's CRAP. I want movies to still look like MOVIES. Plus the TV's that carry this feature do a bad job of it anyway. So be careful when purchasing your HDTV. Some of them are now being made with this whacked out feature PERMANENTLY programmed to the set. Others have an option of turning it on and off. Obviously, if you can just turn it off than you have nothing to worry about.

So, anyway, I just thought I'd give a heads up.

As for storage on Blu-ray most 2-disc DVD releases have been released as one disc Blu-ray titles because the bonus material is still presented in Standard and so it does not take up as much room on the disc and can fit with the movie. Some Blu-ray titles have two discs though. This is only the case when the second disc holds bonus material that is presented in High Definition and a second disc is required in order to present the amount of materials available (even if, in fact, only a couple hours of bonus materials wind up on the second disc).

As for the Blu-ray releases of M. Night's films so far the DVD editions that are the nicest (such as the Vista Editions) were faithfully transfered over to the Blu-ray releases. The two disc DVD's bonus materials have all been preserved on their Blu-ray counterparts.  They are only presented in standard definition though.

Wow.  Thanks for al the info there GenPion!
Who in there right mind would buy a HD television that has some ugly "motion" effect on it?  That is just studpid!  I will stray from all that!

Thanks for the info about the blue-ray stuff as well!
Do you know if all 2 disc dvd's are converting "all" their footage to blue ray?

I really enjoyed sweeny todd, and wanted to wait till it came out on blueray for the double disc version.  By the way, do you know why they didnt come out with one right away for that movie?  I find that kind of odd.
      M. Night Shyamalan

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:51:51 AM »
Not all two-disc DVD releases are having Blu-ray release equivalents with all the same features (if they have any bonus material on said Blu-ray disc at all). The only reason why this is the case is that some studios (especially Fox) have not been even bothering to include them. I think it's either out of laziness, a hope to eventually "double-dip" blu-ray discs like DVD's have been, or because the content would more often than not be in Standard instead of High Definition they don't want to "confuse" consumers as to the quality of their discs. Honestly, it's confusing and stupid.

Sweeney Todd is a popular film so the only reason it didn't come out on Blu-ray the same day as the DVD release is probably because it was originally going to be released on HD-DVD (which lost the format war) and the studio that released it, Dreamworks, had to figure in a new printing schedule for Blu-ray titles which required it to be released at least a few months after the DVD came out. I already own the 2-Disc DVD of Sweeney Todd but I plan on selling it to buy the Blu-ray which will have all the same bonus features and comes out around October.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:01 AM »
Not all two-disc DVD releases are having Blu-ray release equivalents with all the same features (if they have any bonus material on said Blu-ray disc at all). The only reason why this is the case is that some studios (especially Fox) have not been even bothering to include them. I think it's either out of laziness, a hope to eventually "double-dip" blu-ray discs like DVD's have been, or because the content would more often than not be in Standard instead of High Definition they don't want to "confuse" consumers as to the quality of their discs. Honestly, it's confusing and stupid.

Sweeney Todd is a popular film so the only reason it didn't come out on Blu-ray the same day as the DVD release is probably because it was originally going to be released on HD-DVD (which lost the format war) and the studio that released it, Dreamworks, had to figure in a new printing schedule for Blu-ray titles which required it to be released at least a few months after the DVD came out. I already own the 2-Disc DVD of Sweeney Todd but I plan on selling it to buy the Blu-ray which will have all the same bonus features and comes out around October.

Really!?!  Sweet!  I think that I am going to wait for the blueray version then!  Thanks a lot GenPion!  I think you just made my morning!   ;D hehe.
      M. Night Shyamalan