Iron Man

Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 3684 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Iron Man
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:27:48 AM »
Did anybody else see Iron Man.  I absolutely loved it, had a lot of comic book stuff in it, good points, and was probably the best superhero movie out there.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »
Actually, I liked it till about 2/3 way through, then it got stupid.  First off, there wasnt enough action as they show on the Trailer, second, Pepper Potts needs to go back to acting class, she wasnt very good.  It just got lame towards the end. 

Now, I dont really care for Robert Downey Jr., but I thought he did well in this movie.  I really liked all the jokes he cracked.  If I had to see the Hulk or Iron man again, it would be The Hulk, not doubt. 

I dont know, maybe Iron Man will be different for me on dvd like LITW was.   :P
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »
I really liked it all the way through.  See, I don't mind if there isn't a whole lot action, there was a lot more character and story then most other superhero movies, and they wanted to set up the character.  I think Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Pots) was very good, and she's been around for a while, but I guess that is a matter of opinion.  That's encouragin though, if you liked the Incredible Hulk better than Iron Man then I think I will really like it.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:37 AM »
I saw this tonight finally, and I agree somewhat with both of you.  But mostly I thought this movie was awesome.  I think Favreau did a really good job making this movie.  I thought it was a joke that he was directing but I was proven very wrong.  I really like the more personal origin story in favor of a more action packed superhero movie, in general.  I think Pepper Potts was good for most of the film, but then she became kinda not good towards the end.  Too cartoony all of a sudden.  Robert Downey Jr. pretty much rules the whole movie.  And that last line was bad ass, right into the credit roll.  It wasn't perfect, but there is just too much good to be weighed down by any of the bad I thought.  It's these kinda movies that really inspire me to be honest. When movies with insane or silly concepts, like superhero movies or a movie like Lady In The Water, make me feel so much, I just can't believe it.  I mean sure, a movie like Schindlers List is moving as it is inherent in the subject matter itself, and then that much more moving because it is well made(Not that I am comparing that movie to this one, just using it as an extreme to clarify my point).  But when the subject matter is like a superhero story, and it effects me in the way that it did....I think that's crazy is all. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:19:50 AM »
Did you stay through the credits, the scene at the end was crazy.  I also prefer more story then overwhelming action, which is why I liked Batman Begins so much, superb movie.  I completely understand what you are saying okokokok.  The thing is, it was more then a superhero movie, it was a movie about a man confused in what his priorities were, and what was important in life, while still having fun out there.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
Did you stay through the credits, the scene at the end was crazy.

Could you PM me what happened at the end of the credits?  I have already watched the movie twice in the theatre, and don't plan on going again, but I'd like to know what happens.  Thanks!

As for the movie, I loved it as well.  Probably my favorite movie of the year so far!  It had a great story, great action, great humor and one-liners, and was just an enjoyable movie to watch.  I do think the last quarter of the movie was a little subpar compared to the rest, but it wasn't worse than most Superhero movies in regard to campiness or anything.  Downey certained cemented his comback status with this film, and in a way, Tony Stark's change almost mirrors his own, which I thought was kinda' neat.  All in all, a great movie, and one of my favorite Superhero movies of all time.  Not bad for something I wasn't all that excited to see before it came out!   
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »
Glass, I didn't watch all the end credits, but I did watch about a minute or so.  You are right I think, it does very much remind me of Batman Begins also.  Those 2 movies, Batman and Iron Man, seem to be about Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark more so then their superhero alias.  I love that.  Even if I think Batman did a better job, I still love Iron Man.  It's right behind Unbreakable, and Batman Begins for me, as far as superhero movies go. 

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
In my opinion; best superhero movie ever. I was glad the filmmakers focused a lot more in character development than mindless action.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
I really liked Iron Man, obviously, it was good, all around, even if it did seem to drop off at the end.  Yes, Iron Man, Batman Begins, and Unbreakable, all go a different direction with the superhero, not relying on as much action to carry the story.  One reason why I am really looking forward to The Dark Knight.  Part of what made Iron Man so good was that he did like showing off, he was there to get attention, while at the same time protecting people.  I like action, but only in moderation, unless you've got great characters to go with it, such as in We Were Soldiers, character is what needs to drive the story, with the action supplementing it.  I'll PM you the end scene DILinator and okokokok, I will probably think it was better then you will.

Lieutenantnike

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
All the best modern superhero flicks have focused on character/secret identity development and left a lot of the action to their sequels (Spider-Man, Batman Begins, and now Iron Man) which is the lacking characteristic in every poor superhero flick. The action in Iron Man, I felt, was the perfect amount--and when it was present, it REALLY delivered. I thought Tony's battle with Obidiah could've been a lot longer and had more fighting in general, but I still enjoyed it. Downey Junior is so perfect as Stark--absolutely hilarious. I'm incredibly excited for Tropic Thunder now simply because of his performance in Iron Man.

Although I'm very disappointed to have learned recently on G4 that the director and writers of Iron Man will not be producing the next two films! WWWHHHYYYY!!!

ACDCguy

• The Happening

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »
Boy is this topic old. I'd thought I would bring it back into the light. Now I just got this movie on DVD and watched it for the first time. I saw the Dark Knight in Theatre but not Iron Man. I do like the Dark Knight but it it seemed more like an action-packed/horror/drama movie. Not my taste, though The Joker was very well presented. As to Iron Man vs. Batman Begins. I have allways heard the story of Bruce Wayne/Batman. I never was interested in Iron Man. I was not looking forward to the movie. But the film caught me off guard. I love how they balanced out the action and the development of the characters. Tony Stark's story is a good change from Bruce's. In the 90's it was just Batman, Batman, Batman. Both Superman, and Batman movies jump into mindless violence. And the X-men and a weak storyline. Spider-man was good but rushed to get parker out of school, and focused mainly on the characterization of Peter Parker/Spider-man instead of the other characters or stuatiation. And they killed off the villians too early. Iron Man is probably the best superhero film I have seen so far. It draws you in with a stardling(sorry for spelling) action scene. Then develops the characters. And with fight to the death with Iron Man vs. the Iron Mongler, plus a twist of Tony revealing his secret idenity as Iron Man. This is a classic movie!

Though I can't belive they are replacing Terence Howard's role War Machine for Iron Man 2.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 04:19:35 AM »
I have seen it long time ago. Its awesome.

shadowbender

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »
I saw "Iron Man" on it's opening weekend, and I was blown away. Tremendous movie. I have the DVD now and have watched it many times. "Iron Man" is awesome, and I can't wait for "Iron Man 2" on May 7th, 2010.