Opening Ceremony Beijing

Author Topic: Opening Ceremony Beijing  (Read 4364 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Opening Ceremony Beijing
« on: August 08, 2008, 07:42:40 PM »
If you're on now, watch it! It's amazing  ;D
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
Re: Opening Ceremony Beijing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:18 PM »
Nothing short of perfect.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
300 milion dollars, 15,000 performers, footprints in the sky, fireworks of mass destruction, modern dancers using their bodies as paintbrushes, precision drum and light show performed in synch by 2,008 people..ya know just your average friday night television
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:25:09 AM »
I was a bit underwhelmed, I think I feel that way due to all of the over-hyping. Also, whatever NBC was doing for the audio was terrible, unbearable almost. And can someone tell the commentators to shut the heck up? I don't need some yuppie telling me how what every little freaking thing symbolizes. It's like watching a great movie with some douche talking over the whole thing telling you what to think! Just let me hear the sounds and the music, even if NBC is making it sound like crap-ola.

I still enjoyed it a lot, but I couldn't imagine myself uttering the words 'nothing short of perfect' to describe it.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
It was amazing. The studium is one of the best ones I have seen so far. Really creaitive, huge, and beautiful. Really looked like "Bird Next".

I agree with you Malcome about the commentators. They were annoying.

The fireworks. The huge lamp was awesome.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:43:13 PM »
The actual lighting of the torch was really over-hyped and therefore underwhelming. I think a lot of it was still spectacular though.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »
Some Opening Ceremony fireworks were faked
If you watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday night, chances are you said something like, "no way that's possible" at least once. It turns out you were right.

London's Telegraph newspaper reports that some of the fireworks which appeared over Beijing during the television broadcast of the Olympic Opening Ceremony were actually computer generated. But -- hold on -- it's not necessarily as bad  as you think.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

The Opening Ceremony is, at its core, just one big performance. And isn't it accepted that some things might not be legit at a performance?  The final torch bearer wasn't actually running around the top of the stadium, does the fact that everyone could figure that out make it any less? It might have been unnecessarily deceptive, but the firework-faking isn't that big of a deal. But, if I found out that the lighted-drum thing wasn't on the up and up, then we'll have problems, China.

Rohan

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »
aw man..it was the footprints wasnt it? That was my favorite part!  (well that or the concentric circles of 2,008 tai chi masters doing precision drills)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:44:43 PM »
Ummm this is news? I heard the announcers say it was CGI. Nobody should be surprised by this, at least not Americans who saw the NBC telecast.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:13:11 PM »
Ummm this is news? I heard the announcers say it was CGI. Nobody should be surprised by this, at least not Americans who saw the NBC telecast.

I was thinking the same thing.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »
Okay. Okay. I am kind of pissed. All the money they spent just to show the world they can lit some extra lights and show some some. If they would donate that money to homeless people or to third world war countries it would be super awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

THE appreciation of yuan and the enhanced security management have driven up Beijing?s Olympics budget from US$1.6 billion to US$2 billion, Liu Jingmin, executive vice president of the Beijing Organizing Committee for the 2008 Olympic Games, said in Beijing this morning.

The figure still stays short of the US$2.4-billion budget for the Athens Olympics in 2004, he noted, adding that the committee would make a second revision of the budget in line with needs.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 08:21:38 PM »
Dude, I have yet to see the ceremony but I am sure that it was nothing short of amazing. Zhang Yimou directed it and with his amazing film accomplishments (my favorite of which being Hero) and his large background in choreography I am planning on purchasing a copy of the ceremony to watch. I have heard many good things about it.

And as for your criticism that they should spend money elsewhere, you might want to reconsider what that implies... this would almost suggest that film productions should be halted altogether. Or anything artistic for that matter (if it costs too much to produce).

I myself love film and would like it to continue.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
Dude, I have yet to see the ceremony but I am sure that it was nothing short of amazing. Zhang Yimou directed it and with his amazing film accomplishments (my favorite of which being Hero) and his large background in choreography I am planning on purchasing a copy of the ceremony to watch. I have heard many good things about it.

And as for your criticism that they should spend money elsewhere, you might want to reconsider what that implies... this would almost suggest that film productions should be halted altogether. Or anything artistic for that matter (if it costs too much to produce).

I myself love film and would like it to continue.

I love film too, but the money they spent on Olympics, could be spent somewhere else. There are too much poverty..