The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.

Author Topic: The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.  (Read 54144 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »
I think they are coming with a teaser poster in the beginning of March. If not a teaser poster then I am sure a teaser trailor. As far as I see the new cover of the book featuring Viggo as THE MAN, is the poster.

I read an article that they wanted the movie to be included in this years oscars and they realized things are not completed on time. The release date from November 2008 pushed for 2009 release.

The article also stated that it may release the movie during August 2009 just to have it close to the award season.

At least releasing it on Summer 2009 will be awesome.

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »
But is it a good summer film, that's the question.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 08:57:51 PM »
But is it a good summer film, that's the question.

The movie is big and the plot behind is powerful. I wanted them to release it on Summer because I want to watch the movie.
I have been waiting for it forever. So far no negative review about the screenings. There was an article about the movie on NYTIMES few months ago.
The article pretty much brought an spotlight on the directing,music and locations. Then NYTimes came with another article about the author of the book "Mccarthy".

The concept is powerful than I AM LEGEND. Even better than Omega Man that was released years ago. (I am Legend is the remake of OMEGA MAN)

Few lucky people already seen the movie in an special screening and believe me they were all surprised. Personally, I think they should release the movie, but again those who have seen it they are claiming that this movie is screaming for Oscars.

I advise you to read the book. Many tried to read it, but they couldn't finish it. So read it....if you can.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »
Check out these pictures and commen on it. Who Wants To watch this movie badly.....?

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/the_road_still_viggo_mortensen_movie.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/moviesfilms2009/the-road-movie-set.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Knaustin/movie%20stills/the-roa d-new-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Knaustin/movie%20stills/the-roa d-new-3-viggo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Knaustin/movie%20stills/the-roa d-new-4-viggo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Knaustin/movie%20stills/the-roa d-new-5-viggo.jpg

From an unknown source:

We haven't been able to figure out what's going on with John Hillcoat's "The Road" yet and its not for lack of trying. We've pestered The Weinstein PR people a few times now and we can't get them to even hint at a release date or get anything out of them other than a stonewalled, "there's no update." But, some new images have found their way onto the web today so that's at least something (some larger versions on a click).

The last reports in the trades suggested "The Road" -- which stars Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee as father in son traversing the perils of a Cormac McCarthy-inspired post-apocalyptic world -- would come out in the first quarter of 2009, and the month of February was even thrown around. Well, February is here and there's no way in hell, they're releasing it later this month or even March at this point.

TWC is going to at least give two months of marketing heads up -- at least! -- so given the tone of the film (some have said, "prepared to have your heart torn open") it's looking more and more like this film is going to be saved for the fall, Oscar-bait season where it belongs, which pleases us to no end (they wouldn't release this in the summer would they??). Hillcoat's "The Proposition," in 2005 was a fantastic film with a similar bleak and ravaged look, so we're greatly looking forward to it. Charlize Theron, Guy Pierce, Michael Kenneth Williams and Robert Duvall all make small appearances in the picture as well. The delayed-movie is one of the key films in our 60 Most Anticipated Films of 2009 list.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:10:38 PM by Rohan »

shadowbender

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
I don't think it will come out this Summer. If it was, it would probably be announced. I'm gonna guess sometime this winter, November or December. It'll be unfortunate if it comes out that late, because I'm really looking forward to this.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
I don't think it will come out this Summer. If it was, it would probably be announced. I'm gonna guess sometime this winter, November or December. It'll be unfortunate if it comes out that late, because I'm really looking forward to this.

I know...I have been waiting for a long time.

shadowbender

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 09:51:58 PM »

Yeah...this happens with a lot of movies. You wait for them for years.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »

Yeah...this happens with a lot of movies. You wait for them for years.

I remember it happend with - The New World.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
GOOD NEWS

The Road is finished. Its complete. According to the Cinefools :

Hey FOOLS! I was able to have a quick chat with producer Steve Schwarz yesterday, I asked him what the progress of The Road was and while he couldn't say much about the film he has confirmed the film has just been finished. Hopefully we can hear and see more of the film, I got the vibe a release date is not too far off being announced so we'll most definately keep you posted on that when it is announced.

I can't wait to see this film, when I read the book it completely floored me and I'm sure the film will do the same. To whet your appetite here is Viggo in all his Road-ly glory.

Link: http://www.cinefools.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=608

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
An Interview with one of the Baby Eaters.- spoilers.

From Collegian Online
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2009/02/09/student_takes_road_tri p_appear.aspx

Student takes 'road' trip; appears in upcoming film
By Erin Rowley
Collegian Staff Writer

At Penn State he goes by Andy Goga, but in the film The Road, he's better known as Baby Eater #3.

Goga (freshman-division of undergraduate studies) will play a small role in The Road, scheduled to be released sometime in 2009 by The Weinstein Co. The movie is a post-apocalyptic film based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same title by Cormac McCarthy, who also authored No Country for Old Men.

The story follows a man and his son traveling across the country, trying to survive in the now barren landscape.

"They try to avoid people like me who eat children," Goga said, adding he has read the book.

Goga auditioned for a small role in the film after his mother saw an ad in the paper that she thought described her son.

"My mom said, 'Hey look, there's this ad in the paper calling for very pale, skinny bearded men,' " he said.

Goga said he agreed he was perfect for the part because he is indeed "very pale and very skinny and bearded," but that wasn't enough on its own to get the part.

"I took some pictures of myself covered in mud and wearing a loin cloth, and they gave me an audition slot," he said.

Goga's mother, Karen Goga, said her son had just starred as the Cowardly Lion in his high school's musical, The Wizard of Oz. She thought his interest in acting -- and the beard he grew for the part -- would make him a frontrunner for the role in The Road, she said.

After proving he could portray a savage cannibal, the film's producers put makeup on Goga and had him try on "weird" clothes full of dirt and holes, he said.

Goga, who lives about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh, drove for about an hour and a half until reaching southwestern Pennsylvania, where the filming took place, he said.

"It kind of looked like the moon after a nuclear winter. I didn't even know such places existed on Earth," he said of the location.

Though Goga's role is small, he said he enjoyed watching and being involved with the filmmaking process. He added he enjoyed meeting the movie's stars, including Viggo Mortensen.

"I shook his hand," Goga said. "He didn't seem like the friendliest guy, but I'm sure he had a lot to do."

Because of the makeup necessary for the movie, Goga also sat next to a star actor without even realizing it.

"I was getting my makeup done next to this older gentleman," he said. "It turned out it was Robert Duvall."

The extreme hair, makeup and clothing, which were chemically treated to make them look dirty, will make it difficult for even Goga's close friends to recognize him, he said.

"They gave me this haggard sort of wig, so I have this long hair draped over my face. They probably wouldn't recognize me unless I told them to watch out for it," he said.

Though Goga's mother said The Road isn't the kind of movie she would normally see, and "she's more into romantic comedies," she will definitely check it out, and said

she thinks she can recognize her son anywhere -- no matter how much makeup he's wearing.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
Good review. Read It.

Caught a screening of 'The Road' a few days ago in NYC and thought I'd write in my thoughts. I'll keep this spoiler-free for the most part.

They prefaced to us that the movie was still a 'work in progress.' Apparently some coloring, sound mixing, and effects still had yet to be completed. They must have been very technical because I didn't see any sign of an unfinished movie.

I'm an avid Cormac McCarthy fan and 'The Road' is my favorite of his works. It's by far his most poetic book which made me weary of seeing it made into a film, because how can any filmmaker capture his gorgeous prose and put it up on a screen? The Coen Brothers did it to near perfection, but 'The Road' is far more abstract and minimalistic than No Country for Old Men.

Well it's been done. Because this movie is incredible.

If you've heard anything about this story the word 'post-apocalyptic' has surely come up. Well yes, it is about that, but that acts more as a vessel to tell a story about what's left to do once all hope is lost. There is no hope left in this story. This is not Children of Men where we are wondering if maybe the world can get another kick start. This is what's left of an ant pile after you spray it with a hose for an hour. A few ants still running around with nothing left and waiting to die. Everyone who is familier with the book will be pleased to know that the reason the world is over ramains ambiguous. There is no reason to explain it and the rest of the film follows suit, giving us just what's needed so all that's left is a stripped down account of the relationship between a father and his son in these circumstances.

John Hillcoat has taken this dark and brooding story and turned it into something so cinematic yet still maintaining an absolutely faithful adaptation. I had read in an interview with him a while back where he said he was planning on adding a bit more color to this movie because an audience 'doesn't want to look at grey for 2 hours.' Well if he did he made it very very subtle because the color scheme works entirely. It's still very grey and still very dark. The scope of this movie is unbelievable with vast and detailed landscapes representing a dead world. These shots are accompanied by voiceovers spoken by The Man from passages taken directly from the book. As far as the visual aspects go and how much we are allowed to see of this world is niether overdone or underdone. It's not JUST a forest and it's not The Day After Tomorrow. The artistic direction really substitutes for the writing in the book and helped to give me the same feeling I got when I read it. A perfect balance.

So we have these seven performances that make up this movie.

Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce, Garret Dillahunt and Michael K. Williams all have one scene each of very important characters, all of which give us a very good portrait of every aspect of this society. I could go off on each of them and how they gave each role so much and why it worked so well with the world of the movie but this review would be far too long. They're all just great.

The other three that were so important to making this movie successful simply nailed it. Viggo Mortensen, to me, was genius choice of casting from the start. That desparation that we've seen in him (the "we don't kill babies" scene from Eastern Promises to name an example) is flooded throughout this performance. How do you lead your only son through a scorched world in search of nothing? What is the point? Well Viggo finds one and it will tear your heart out. He also finds a few points to make us laugh, which is more than necessary given the nature of this movie. Kodi Smit-McPhee. Is he good? Does he get the job done? Everyone is wondering. The answer is you have nothing to worry about. The kid is one hell of an actor. He's a boy born into this world, knowing nothing of what was. He's heard stories of birds and the sky but they all have to live in his imagination. And they do. Because he has stories from books and his father to teach him what once was a reality. And to a boy that doesn't know more than a destroyed planet, this creates one hell of a ball of light in a dark dark world. This kid's compassion and optimism and love for the remainder of humanity is heightened by the fact that all those attributes are since extinct. It's jolting to others he comes in contact with. Finally we have Charliz Theron who gives her best performance to date. (Even better than her overrated performance in 'Monster' which in my opinion was nothing more than an overglorified impression of Michael Keaton.) She exists only in flashbacks and represents one of the many victims of a person who's soul died with the world. Hoplessness has overtaken her to a point where she only exists as a hollowed out shell of a person, waiting to fall just like the trees in the deceased world. Love has lost its meaning and her steady decline is heartbreaking.

The score worked really will by Nick Cave. Lots of strings. It was sort of a giant mix of Jonny Greenwood, Clint Mansell, and Michael Nyman. But it really gave the movie a great tone.

The movie sucks you into a completely different world and it's nearly impossible to peel yourself away from it for it's duration. as slow-paced as this movie can be, like in the book, there are riviting moments that will make you jump out of your seat with disgust, excitment, and suspense. These moments are spaced out perfectly and with each one you are pulled in further into the horror being presented. This was a giant screening with a huge movie theatre completely filled. Most people had no knowledge of what they were getting themelves into. The audience was very communal, silent at the right parts and audibly gasping at other parts. The feel I got from reactions on my way out was that they were all on a crazy ride together. People who didn't like depressing movies didn't like it, but people who liked GOOD movies, even if it is depressing, loved it. There was one jump cut in particular that I can remember that reminded me of the famous cut in 2001: A Space Oddesy. A dramatic cut from what was to what is. It's in the beginning and it'll hit you hard.

That's about it. I have a feeling that when this movie finally hits it'll be a big deal. I know I praised the hell out of it but I really did like it that much. I couldn't hardly find one thing about it I hope to see changed in the final product. Let's hope they don't change it up too much.

Done and done.

If you use this call me Viper X.

source: Aintitcool.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen to Cormac and also the soundtrack in the background.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7898000/7898685.stm
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:06:24 PM by Rohan »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »
Anybody any news about this movie? - please post it here.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
lol, rohan, you're the only person posting in here  :o
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »
lol, rohan, you're the only person posting in here  :o

Yep.  8)

shadowbender

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 03:56:29 PM »
On comingsoon.net, it says the release date of The Road is TBA 2009. I'm wondering if that means that they're trying to release at the end of this year, or if this is an assumption.