The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.

Author Topic: The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.  (Read 54126 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
Well, I looked for the address and everything online, and I couldn't find anything. I could do more research, or we need to get IMDb Pro subscription. But I'll be willing to call them.

EDIT: Hmm, I found a mail address, but this for questions and comments about privacy policy. Dang it, I think we need to get a subscription for IMDb Pro.

Do we have to pay for IMDB Pro?

This is what I found:

Ste 600
5700 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 207-3080

Hmm, I wonder if that address would work. But yeah, I think you do have to pay for IMDb Pro.

May be we should try to call them.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »
This is the real and official look of the poster from the movie THE ROAD. The picture was way blurry and too much white color was used as someone probably had it scanned from a megazine. I found it fun and the good thing is that we have the official release season for the movie mentioned on the poster and it FALL 2009.

The text was on the lower left side of the scanned poster, I put the text at top of the poster with its real picture. Looks good to me and I don't know what you guys are going to think about it. I can't help myself, I love the book and I will love the movie, been waiting for a long time.

Enjoy the poster.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »
SHOOTING THE ROAD

Enjoy it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbuddyphotos/3329474364/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbuddyphotos/3328640965/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbuddyphotos/3328640855/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbuddyphotos/3328640773/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbuddyphotos/3328640689/

-----------------------------------

As far as the movie poster is concerned, it says the movie release is during FALL of 2009. Which means we will get a trailer soon. May be, around May or June.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
The Road - Cormac McCarthy SPOILERS

Cormac McCarthy?s tale of a post-apocalyptic America The Road opens on a road where a father and his son trudge along pushing a shopping trolley filled with their earthly belongings in a world all but destroyed, where the dying land is burnt black, forests defoliated and ashened, the sky perpetually gray. It is always cold, dark, damp and gloomy.  There is nothing beautiful about the rain falling in this story because it only adds to the prevailing sense of sorrow that weighs heavier and heavier as the story unravels.

But despite the foreboding about what lays ahead on the road, and what lurks behind, there is still light and hope in the strong affection and bond between father and son, or Man and Boy as they are simply called in the book. One being the other?s sole reason to fight and continue living, or as McCarthy wrote it - each the other?s world entire. The boy has no mother. She saw no hope in living after the cataclysmic event and chose to commit suicide. It is hard not to be touched by the love the father has for the son; how he wills himself to survive for the son, and how the son gives him hope that maybe the next day will be different.

And yet, tomorrow is always the same as yesterday. And today is only about making it through to tomorrow. The road they are traveling on is never ending, but they soldier on towards the coast to reach warmer climate. Along the way, they hide in bushes on the roadside, in abandoned homes in empty towns, avoid coveys of lost souls like them who have been reduced to the lowest form of humanity to survive; some resorting to cannibalism. Always, the Man tries to shield his son?s eyes from these sights, to protect his innocence in a world broken beyond repair. Moments like these, one aches for the boy and feels the hopelessness that surrounds them. It makes the heart turn heavy and subdued by the same feeling of not knowing what to do.

Ultimately, the book is not about the road, or about what cataclysmic event that led these two souls there. It is about a father and his son - their relationship. It always comes back to them, the way they communicate, the way the father takes care of the son, feeding him, fending for him, protecting him, giving him hope, sharing the dark dreams they both have in the even darker nights. It is the way he speaks to the boy, in simple yet so loving terms, and their conversations that is most affecting. Tender and gentle are the Man?s words to his son in the midst of their fight for survival, scavenging for sustenance - tin food found in cellars and empty houses, dried shrivelled apples found in the grounds of an orchard - and all the time, keeping a vigilant eye over themselves, looking out for marauders who are armed with weapons, hunting for other humans as food.

There is a scene where the Man and Boy discover a vaulted cellar and pry it open only to discover a group of people who had been captured and locked up as food stock. Slowly consumed by their captors, one limb at a time so that they can be kept alive for as long as possible in a world without electricity and refrigeration. It is a terrifying landscape and the Man carries with him a pistol with two bullets (the pistol is for protection but the bullets are for suicide when all hope is gone).

Through it all, it is the Boy who keeps the faith, reminding the Man that they are the ?good guys? and that they are the ones carrying the fire. When he falters, weighed down by the bleakness around him, it is always the Boy who props him up again, making sure he holds on to the humanity in him. The book ends with the death of the Man but the Boy survives, and is rescued by a family who had been traveling on the road behind them. The Man?s death is heart sinking but there is comfort and solace in the knowing that the Boy is with a loving family who has taken him in as one of their own.

This is by far one of the most touching stories out there. The focus is always on these two lonely travelers as they move across the violent landscape. The tension is gripping at times and it is a book that is hard to put down. McCarthy?s style of writing is raw and unique; ?Faulkneresque?, perhaps, seeing as McCarthy?s prose is often likened to William Faulker?s.

McCarthy is also the author of other notable titles such as Blood Meridian, Suttree, The Border Trilogy and No Country for Old Men. The Road won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2007 and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize in 2006. It was also adapted into a movie starring Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee as the Man and Boy, respectively. Oprah?s Book Club picked this book as one of its selections for 2007.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:57:10 AM by Rohan »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »
One of my friends is based in Melbourne, Australia. He recently visited the Australian Centre For The Moving Image at Federation squarethey currently have a film design exhibition.

They had this special slideshow of locations from THE ROAD. He said that photos were great and breathtaking and stunningingly shot. I requested him to take few pictures and share it with me to wet my appetite. I hope I get some pictures from him, I think they don't allow cameras there.

I will post some pics, if I find any.

shadowbender

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »
Nice, Rohan!

I like the poster, and that's great about the release date. Fall 2009, should definitely see a trailer soon.

Just out of curiosity, did you find the photo online from someone who found it in a magazine.

Those are nice photos, too.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
Nice, Rohan!

I like the poster, and that's great about the release date. Fall 2009, should definitely see a trailer soon.

Just out of curiosity, did you find the photo online from someone who found it in a magazine.

Those are nice photos, too.

Yes, I found the poster online and it was scanned from a newspaper, at least it looked like it was scanned. It is the same picture, THE MAN's head was gone in the scanned picture and plus it was really white. I did the changes, brought the same picture and pasted the text upper side.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
Rohan, please indicate at the beginning of your posts if they are going to include spoilers.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2009, 09:58:25 AM »
Rohan, please indicate at the beginning of your posts if they are going to include spoilers.

You're right. I apologize for that, I totaly forgot. In the meantime, Namaste I thought you already read the book before. I don't know, may be I am mistaking.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »
I havent read it..but I would have made that comment anyway.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »
I havent read it..but I would have made that comment anyway.

Did you read that whole article?

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »
nope, just up till the first spoiler and didnt go any farther, in case there were more.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »
nope, just up till the first spoiler and didnt go any farther, in case there were more.

Ok then. Well, I recommend to read the book before the movie comes out when you get the chance. Its going to be a total whole different experience for you. In the meantime, you will be craving to see the characters live on the screen. I have been waiting for this for a long long time....

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
The Route and Roots of The Road

PRAISES in FLASH, please read them - http://www.randomhouse.com/kvpa/cormacmccarthy/

This is one of those books that begins out of nowhere and this is what I love about Cormac McCarthy's style of writing. Before I was introduced to his novels, I was always fond of starting my screenplay, out of nowhere kind of style. Out of nowhere kind of style, basically means that the story starts from a point where the reader should not thinking about it, but figure out the scene before it in his/her imagination. Like put your mind to the work kind of thing. Those who read his novels, they know what I am talking about.

I have read some of his books and still going to read the books I have not put my hands on yet. I am going to be building a section of books by Cormac McCarthy novels in my house. This is about THE ROAD - his most personal book. He wrote it when he was traveling with his son in Texas I believe and passing these hills and lands and he said that he thought of them burning. Then he looked at his son and he decided to write the novel when he was in Ireland.

The Road is special in many ways, not only struggle of a father to protect his only son, but also what we humans think of the world. There is whole different kind of world. No Hope and there is no guarantee that the next step could be death. I pictured myself in the same situation and prayed when I went to my bed after finishing the book. I don't want that kind of environment. I don't want that kind of day. I want spring, water, roads, streets and people. It taught me that we all humans need each other. Even though, we don't know each other or hate each other by looks, color of skin or beliefs, in the end it all comes to one common and simple thing that its hard for us humans to figure it out. WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER. Only the sight of each other anywhere means a lot. Imagine a city with no people, no souls.

Those who have not read the book yet, I strongly recommend this book.

The Road is a book that I will have my children read in the future. The Road is a book that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Even though there is harsh moments and violence in it, but all these negativity is part of our lives. We seen or foresee these moments because we know negativity is always versus positivity. What matters is that we can always defeat and endure the negativity. Positivity is really fragile, we must protect it.

The Road begins suddenly and ends suddenly, I am not going to reveal anything about it. It left me behind to think about the characters till date. The route they took, I imagined what route, what city, what was the name of the street they were walking on. What is the name of the town. I found this great site about THE ROUTE and ROOTS of THE ROAD.

Read it, there are some spoilers though, it is fun.

http://web.utk.edu/~wmorgan/TR/route.htm

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:25:43 PM by Rohan »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 03:07:41 PM »
VIEWERS DISCRETION IS ADVISED

Below are a set of pictures from actor 'Jeremy Ambler'. He plays the "Man In Cellar", thanks to him for sharing his pictures from behind the scenes of THE ROAD. Its courtesy of his website http://www.jeremyambler.com

Behind The Scenes - The Road