The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.

Author Topic: The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.  (Read 54123 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: The Road: They are "each the other's world entire.
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
I think they are going to update the official website now. Try to go to the website it directs you to the Weinstein website.

http://www.theroad-movie.com

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »
Positive Review :

?The Road? is finally here.

The John Hillcoat movie based on the bestseller by Cormac McCarthy is finally being shown, slowly, to a handful of people. Scheduled for last year but then held because special effects weren?t ready, ?The Road? will surface in October.

?The Road? comes from the Dimension side of the Weinstein Company, not always my favorite place. It was home earlier this year to the dreadful ?Soul Men.? But ?The Road? was also made by another group, Mark Cuban?s 2929 Productions. It was acquired by Dimension, but really seems like a regular Weinstein movie.

Hillcoat has done justice to McCarthy?s Pulitzer Prize winner. ?The Road? is elegiac and moving, artful and yet suspenseful. No, it?s not a raucous good time. It can be thoughtful and grim. But here?s the interesting thing: Viggo Mortensen?s performance as a father walking through a post-apocalypse America with his young son is just fascinating. It stays with you long after leaving the theater. Mortensen is that good.

There aren?t a lot of other actors in ?The Road.? Charlize Theron is very good as Viggo?s wife, in flashbacks. Both Robert Duvall and Guy Pearce make cameo appearances. Eleven-year-old (he?s 13 now) Kodi Smit-McPhee is just right as the couple?s son.

What Hillcoat and screenwriter Joe Penhall do is accurately capture McCarthy?s tone and lauguage. This isn?t easy to do. ?The Road? is a bleak trip, told in muted blacks, blues, and grays. There are no blue skies after whatever caused the apocalypse (is it nuclear war? we don?t know. Everything left, including the trees, is dying.)

So what Dimension will have to do is establish an audience for ?The Road.? It opens wide in October, rather than platform the release. This should work just in getting the curious in all at once. Mortensen will be on a lot of top 10 and awards lists, and that should help, too. Depending on how the year shakes out, he could be a formidable contender.

?The Road? also has a cult quality, which could add to its mystery. The hold up from last year was to finish the effects, and they were well worth it. A whole city is painted out to reflect destruction. The sky is a miserable, darkening entity. But the scenes I liked best were ones where Mortensen takes his son back to the home he grew up in ? now abandoned. Hillcoat has made a little piece of art. You can?t ask for much more than that.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2009, 06:23:23 PM »

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
Lol,this topic has been here for months and I didn't even know what was about.
Now that I'm reading the book and know about the movie they're making,I've entered it and found the TRAILER!! :o
This movie looks awesome!I read somewhere that it'll be presented in Venice,these days.I'll stay tuned.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Now that I'm reading the book and know about the movie they're making,I've entered it and found the TRAILER!! :o
This movie looks awesome!I read somewhere that it'll be presented in Venice,these days.I'll stay tuned.

Are you serious about this?

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2009, 04:39:10 AM »

Of course.Why do you ask me?
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14:02 AM »

Of course.Why do you ask me?

I am a little surprised cause the buzz is everywhere about THE ROAD being one of the most important films of the year.

I have been following every little news about this movie. Yes, it is going to be filmed in Venice.

what do you think of the BOOK and the conflict?

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2009, 11:34:10 AM »
I don't know,I've started getting information about it only recently.
However,I've only read 30 pages of the book,so it's a little bit early to give a proper comment about it.The only thing I can say is that McCarthy has a very particular way of writing,but I'm getting used at it.
What do you mean with the conflict?  ???
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2009, 06:25:11 PM »
I don't know,I've started getting information about it only recently.
However,I've only read 30 pages of the book,so it's a little bit early to give a proper comment about it.The only thing I can say is that McCarthy has a very particular way of writing,but I'm getting used at it.
What do you mean with the conflict?  ???

I thought you already finished the book. I agree McCarthy's style of writing is unique. I wanted to know what you think about the book and the issue that the author is presenting. I am not going to spoil it, finish it and then you will know what I am talking about.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2009, 06:04:09 AM »
the clips get progressively better from first to last, for the most part. (i think the second-to-last was the best)
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
The one with the old man is touching. My favorite clip.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
viggo's reaction shots painted the old man as creepy  :x
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »
viggo's reaction shots painted the old man as creepy  :x

I agree. What makes me satisfied about that is how John Hillcoat showed the scenes exactly how it is described in the book.

When you reach to the part of the old man meets THE MAN and THE BOY. This particular part of the book was written poetically. You will be impressed by every single dialogue. Even though its shorter, but it has that painfull and meaninful meaning to it.