The Orphanage

Author Topic: The Orphanage  (Read 8261 times)

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
The Orphanage
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:25:08 AM »
Anyone seen this?

I wanted tosee it at the cinema but didn't get a chance.

Got it on DVD the other day though and it's really good.

It's produced by the much discussed Guillermo Del Torro (is there a Hobbit topic anywhere?) and it's another foreign language one but if your not put off by subtitles i'd defo check it.

Really scary. I mean a few you will come back saying i'm a little girl but anyone who says that clearly sucks.

If you were scared by sixth sense you will be scared by this.

The night-vision scene with the medium is probably one of the best scenes ever really. In any genre.

Lol that's a big claim but it is fantastic.

Glad I didn't see it at the cinema. Lots of half-closed-eyes moments. Might have looked like a bit of a prat.

EDIT

Yep another in-depth review from me  ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:31:17 AM by steinmansbrain »

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: The Orphanage
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »
I wanted to see this movie also, but never got a chance to see it on the big screen. Lately, been thinking to purchase myself a copy of DVD then I found out after a little research online that they have english subtitles. Then again, after a little bit of more research about the writer and director I found out that the creative script was on the sundance and got sold.

When Del toro said he was impressed then I will be impressed for sure.

I will buy the DVD soon.

Thanks for the review though.

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
I saw it and I thought it was AWESOME!!!!

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »
I saw it and I thought it was AWESOME!!!!

Great. I will buy it.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 03:48:15 AM »
I'm proud of spanish filmmakers when they do things like this film. It is a great film  I think.
I'd really like you to see another spanish film, and then I'd like to have your opinion:
In spanish the film is called "La caja Kovak", and it's about a small village in Mallorca where the people begin to suicide without any apparent reason. The film is previous to The Happening and has nothing to do with Shyamalan?s film, but the idea of mass suicides reacll The Happening.
The beginning of the film and it gets worse arriving to the end, but I'd like you to see it.

Try to get this film from internet, I think is filmed in english, because the main cast is not spanish. Timothy Hutton is the main character.
So it will be easy to get a copy in english.

Good luck
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
In spanish the film is called "La caja Kovak", and it's about a small village in Mallorca where the people begin to suicide without any apparent reason.

Sounds good  ;D

I will add that to my list of foreign films to see along with The Devil's Backbone (Del Torro yet again) and The Science of Sleep (which tbh sounds a bit 'all style no substance').

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
So..i just watched el orfanato last night..it had some cheap shots in it, and the dialogue was too low in volume in comparison to the rest of the sound. It was ok, i guess..but there were some loose ends that were never tied up..rabbit trails, if you will. The ending was somewhat similar to El Laborinto del Fauno, but not enough for that to be a spoiler. It was pretty intense..carried mainly by the mother character who was very good, but the rest of the actors were just kinda so-so. There was a part about in the middle of the movie that was pretty gory and shocking even for me, and i watch videos at nothingtoxic.com lol. Most of the movie was not gory at all, though. There were some obvious "ghost movie" cliches tossed in there like EVP, mediums, doors opening or closing on their own and spiritual encounter support groups, etc. The movie could have done without those..especially a Del Torro film. Overall i'd say it's worth watching, but I wouldnt buy it.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
So..i just watched el orfanato last night..it had some cheap shots in it, and the dialogue was too low in volume in comparison to the rest of the sound.

Any chance you were watching it online?

It was ok, i guess..but there were some loose ends that were never tied up..rabbit trails, if you will.

Hmmm not exactly sure about that. I didn't feel that way but you could probs point some things out that i missed.

The ending was somewhat similar to El Laborinto del Fauno, but not enough for that to be a spoiler.

Indeed. 

It was pretty intense..carried mainly by the mother character who was very good

Agreed  :)

but the rest of the actors were just kinda so-so.

Probs right.

There was a part about in the middle of the movie that was pretty gory and shocking

Agree 1000%. Was F*ckin horrid. I didn't even know you could legally show that in an 18 (seriously) nevermind a bloody 15 (UK certificates).

even for me, and i watch videos at nothingtoxic.com lol.

Don't even wanna know about that pal lol.

There were some obvious "ghost movie" cliches tossed in there like EVP, mediums, doors opening or closing on their own and spiritual encounter support groups, etc. The movie could have done without those..especially a Del Torro film.

Coulda done without the medium  :o...Are you on crack!? That was the best part of the film >:(!

I can see where your coming from with the doors but they were mainly just to tie scenes together wern't they? So yeah I guess they weren't essential to the plot or w/e. Even The Village and LITW have just short shots of I don't know chairs or a wall or something between major scenes didn't they?

Overall i'd say it's worth watching, but I wouldnt buy it.

Essentiall the same as my assessment of your post  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:34:12 PM by steinmansbrain »

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:14 PM »
Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Sorry but this isn't a Del Toro film. The only thing he has to do with it is that he presents it and produces it. The Director is called Juan Antonio Bayona

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:21 AM »

Sounds good  ;D

I will add that to my list of foreign films to see along with The Devil's Backbone (Del Torro yet again) and The Science of Sleep (which tbh sounds a bit 'all style no substance').

Well, there's a great spanish film, also directed by the same director from "La Caja Kovak". I saw the film last year and it's a good suspense movie. Yo u should also add this film to your list. In spanish is called "La habitaci?n de Fermat", which means "Fermat's room".
It's about 5 mathamtics who are invited to a dinner, and the room where they are gets smaller and smaller, and it will kill them if they don't answer some mathematical problems.

Really good film.
What can I say? I don't like in general spanish films, so trust me, these films are out of the spanish way of filming

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 03:39:52 AM »
And don't forget the movie "Abre los ojos" which is the original version of "Vanilla Sky". But much better! ;)
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:10:37 AM »
Yes, that film is directed by Alejandro Amenabar, and he's considered one of the directors who's introducing some changes in our cinema.

Amenabar has done a better film before "Abre los ojos" which I absolutly recomend to you all: "TESIS"
It is a film about a student who has to make his university proyect, and decides to write about violence movies, specially snuff movies. She discover that someone in the university has really killed some students to make these movies, and investigate it. Great movie.

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 06:27:55 AM »
Yes, that film is directed by Alejandro Amenabar, and he's considered one of the directors who's introducing some changes in our cinema.

Amenabar has done a better film before "Abre los ojos" which I absolutly recomend to you all: "TESIS"
It is a film about a student who has to make his university proyect, and decides to write about violence movies, specially snuff movies. She discover that someone in the university has really killed some students to make these movies, and investigate it. Great movie.

Thanks, I'm going to look after it!
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »

Sounds intriguing.

Yo u should also add this film to your list. In spanish is called "La habitaci?n de Fermat", which means "Fermat's room".
It's about 5 mathamtics who are invited to a dinner, and the room where they are gets smaller and smaller, and it will kill them if they don't answer some mathematical problems.

Really good film.
What can I say? I don't like in general spanish films, so trust me, these films are out of the spanish way of filming

Consider it added  ;D