The Orphanage

Author Topic: The Orphanage  (Read 8260 times)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: The Orphanage
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »
So..i just watched el orfanato last night..it had some cheap shots in it, and the dialogue was too low in volume in comparison to the rest of the sound.

1) Any chance you were watching it online?

It was ok, i guess..but there were some loose ends that were never tied up..rabbit trails, if you will.

2) Hmmm not exactly sure about that. I didn't feel that way but you could probs point some things out that i missed.

There were some obvious "ghost movie" cliches tossed in there like EVP, mediums, doors opening or closing on their own and spiritual encounter support groups, etc. The movie could have done without those..especially a Del Torro film.

3) Coulda done without the medium  :o...Are you on crack!? That was the best part of the film >:(!

4) I can see where your coming from with the doors but they were mainly just to tie scenes together wern't they? So yeah I guess they weren't essential to the plot or w/e. Even The Village and LITW have just short shots of I don't know chairs or a wall or something between major scenes didn't they?

1) yeah, i was watching it online, but the rest of the sound besides the difference in volume was ok.

2) The medium scene, for example..she said the kids were really sick, but we never find out anything about that. I really wasnt clear on the whole tomas thing either..was he the ghost that was stuck out in the cave on the beach? and is that where he died?  (spanish is not my first language) i think there were some other things, but i cant think of them right now.

3) Yeah the whole medium/evp thing was so 80's like poltergeist or something. its been overdone.

4) Ok, i'll allow the merry-go-round between-shots thing, because it kinda hints at the kids being around. In Shyamalan's movies, every shot is important or at least has meaning to it, like the chairs, the woods, a pool, etc  but the whole door closing by itself thing goes back to a time even before movies had been invented..and it's been done so often, that it's a cliche...i mean u see it even in educational cartoons!
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 01:40:27 AM »
Is watching movies online legal or illegal? I have seen and heard some of my friends and other people watch movies before they come on DVD and theaters.

Rohan

GothMan

• The Happening

• Personal Text
    You should close your eyes to see the Truth.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 02:29:55 AM »
Is watching movies online legal or illegal? I have seen and heard some of my friends and other people watch movies before they come on DVD and theaters.

Rohan

I think it's legal. At least I hope so. :)
"A common misperception of me is... That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective." (M. Night Shyamalan)

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »
eh..it's legal..just isnt legal to have them on yur hard drive or upload them to the internet lol...let them get busted, im watchin a free movie ;P
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »
1) yeah, i was watching it online, but the rest of the sound besides the difference in volume was ok.

2) The medium scene, for example..she said the kids were really sick, but we never find out anything about that. I really wasnt clear on the whole tomas thing either..was he the ghost that was stuck out in the cave on the beach? and is that where he died?  (spanish is not my first language) i think there were some other things, but i cant think of them right now.

3) Yeah the whole medium/evp thing was so 80's like poltergeist or something. its been overdone.

4) Ok, i'll allow the merry-go-round between-shots thing, because it kinda hints at the kids being around. In Shyamalan's movies, every shot is important or at least has meaning to it, like the chairs, the woods, a pool, etc  but the whole door closing by itself thing goes back to a time even before movies had been invented..and it's been done so often, that it's a cliche...i mean u see it even in educational cartoons!

So you weren't watching it with english subtitles?

Pretty impressed if that's the case.

*SPOILER WARNING*

I think the whole Tomas thing was that the children took him into the cave and stole his mask and made him come out to get it. But he was ashamed of his appearance so he wouldn't leave the cave and when the tide came in he drowned.

So his mother had poisoned all the children to get them back for playing the trick on Tomas that lead to his death.

It's really not stated that the Tomas' mother poisoned the children but I think that was the idea.

Yeah the kid in the cave was one of the bit's my bro wasn't that happy with

He said it was only there to kinda throw you off the scent. It's like when Night said they were back in 1897 (He was on crack for sure).

I however felt differently. He interpreted that the child was Simon. I interpreted it was Tomas.

'Cos the police don't find anyone in there so I thought it musta been the ghost.

But the whole time my bro is thinking where did Simon go from the cave? So obviously gonna' be disappointed when he finds out he wern't even there.

That kinda expectation can ruin a film. It's like waiting a whole film to see Jeff Goldblum appear and then it finishing and he wasn't even in it (it's only happened once).