The Book Of Eli

Author Topic: The Book Of Eli  (Read 14956 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: The Book Of Eli
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
I wasn't expecting anything really.

I had major issues with almost every aspect of filmmaking in this movie though. It doesn't matter if it wasn't trying to be Avatar or not - poor filmmaking is poor filmmaking.

This is just my opinion, of course.

I totally understand that it is your opinion, yet I don't understand what is poor filmmaking for you. You bashed the plot, editing and all and I am interested to know if there is a reason there in your mind that why the plot is not good. And speaking of poor filmmaking I think HOSTEL is poor filmmaking in my opinion or if I have to define poor filmmaking it will be HOSTEL as the definition.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 11:17:51 PM »
I thought the story was too heavy-handed. It's hard to discuss the ridiculousness of the plot without discussing major spoilers. But I just think it's very improbable.

The score is distracting and ineffective. It's very amateurish both in writing and how it's used throughout the film. It tries to be hidden and non-manipulative by being "minimal" but it's so clunky and poorly thought-out it becomes what it was trying not to be: obvious and manipulating.

The cinematography was just not good. It was trying to be gritty and harsh, but it was clear to me that many scenes were poorly composited/green-screened -- which just makes it look fake. When something looks fake it's pretty much impossible to be gritty. It just looks faux-gritty instead.

The long takes were ridiculous in this movie too. The point of a long takes are usually to make you feel immersed in the world, as if it was real. But when the long shot walks right into an automatic assault weapon shooting rounds right into the lens, it destroys the illusion that everything is real, happening real time. It was just absurd.

Idk. I thought this film in general was very amateurish. Nothing struck me as the work of a craftsman, seasoned filmmaker. It was all second-rate filmmaking in my eyes.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
I am impressed by THE HUGH BROTHERS for the first time and that's why I like BOOK OF ELI. I liked DEAD PRESIDENTS, but it wasn't all that. In BOOK OF ELI they are restarting their passion for film making.