Author Topic: Avatar Teaser Trailer  (Read 7502 times)

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I'm glad to be the first person to post this (I hope), I've been excited about this film for years now and just saw part of the teaser on the news (been on the internet all day and hadn't noticed it had been put up lol).

So here it is...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

I've made it clear on this forum a number of times how excited I am for this film and how I thought, despite all the furore (furore? fur'ore?) about the CGI, it would be a great story at it's heart.

I told you all about the interview I read with Cameron when he said his favourite scene was a quiet, calm scene with 2 characters sitting talking to each other.

From this, and the fact that he had been thinking of the idea for over a decade before it started shooting, I was pretty much sold on the film before I'd even seen a screenshot...OR FOUND ANYTHING OUT ABOUT THE STORY!

So, now I've seen this teaser what do I think?

They said that CGI characters would appear as real as the actors. I, unlike what seems to be A LOT of people, did not believe this would be the case. I just didn't think I could watch a 10 foot blue alien and think it was real...that just seems kinda impossible?

So was I surprised upon watching the teaser that the CGI looked very much like CGI...No.

Shall I hold that against the film/director/critics/people who said it would be any different? No.

I think a person could dedicate their life to making just a single still image of 10 foot blue alien and I still wouldn't say it looked real. Maybe my imagination is just broken (broken imagination = new band name).

So screw the CGI. We can all tell the Na'vi (blue avatar people) arn't there.

However, I am yet to see any footage of this film in IMAX 3D. I am infact yet to see any footage of anything whatsoever in IMAX 3D! So can anyone tell me if my opinion will change?

I heard Cameron say that although you can tell something is fake in 2D, you completly believe it in 3D (sorry no source...It's out there though! And worded a lot better ;))

I think part of my enjoyment of this film will hinge on how convinced I am by the CGI. I hate that I notice CGI in films you know? It's just by accident I find myself thinking "he's not really swinging on a web". And I don't know...it's just gonna be on my mind now...I know that's silly 'cos they couldn't have made the film any other way...but they shouldn't have said "photo-realistic" they should have just said "looks cool".

So aside from all this I still think it will be spectacular. Still think it will be one of the best sci-fi's and one of the best films I've ever seen really. Just hope it's not all looks, just hope it's got some drama from the story as well as the action.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:21:48 PM by steinmansbrain »

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: Avatar Teaser Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »
The furore on CGI is increasing. I have not seen any single footage yet. I read lots of reviews about the trailer. Most people are not satisfied. They agree that the plot is powerful and new, but CGI is not all that.

I am still looking forward to the trailer and then I will make my decision whether I should cherish it or not at all.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »
Alright, I saw the teaser trailer finally. With all this hype, talks, boards, meetings by JAMES CAMERON we all get to see bunch of  computer generated affects? I am being honest and I am not impressed at all by this.

The story is awesome. I think it would be a very good and realistic movie if this wouldn't look like cartoon. I was not expecting this from JC. Part of it reminds me of TOY STORY, sometimes 10,000 B.C.

The alien in M.Night's SIGNS looks way better. The aliens in DISTRICT 9 is far better than Navi's aliens.

I knew the hype will ruin this. I don't think this will make it even in the box office. Yes, it may earn good money, but studios are expecting way lot from this. It might earn around 300Mil or 400Mil worldwide. Mark my words guys.

I am sorry guys. I am way disappointed.

Note: If you have not seen DISTRICT 9 please watch it. The 3rd best movie of 2009. PUBLIC ENEMIES, THE HURT LOCKER, DISTRICT 9 three best films of 2009 so far.

Peter Jackson's GOLLUM looked way realistic.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »

shadowbender

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
So I've seen the trailer, and here's what I think: Avatar looks like a very imaginative film. The aliens and colors and environments are dazzling, but yes, I totally agree that the visual effects are WAY overrated, which is disappointing. Still, it looks pretty amazing.

A friend of mine actually won 2 tickets for a screening of the footage for "Avatar Day", with IMAX 3D and everything. I was SO disappointed that I couldn't go, I was seriously busy. Did anyone here see the footage?

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:11:09 AM »

The alien in M.Night's SIGNS looks way better.

No, sorry, I do believe the alien in Signs is the worst thing ever created by man.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

No, sorry, I do believe the alien in Signs is the worst thing ever created by man.

Tell me a best alien ever created from your point of view.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »
looks pretty suite. They don't look as realistic as the predator though.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »
looks pretty suite. They don't look as realistic as the predator though.

Are you referring to THE PREDATOR with ARNOLD.SZNGR? If so, I totally agree. To be honest, that movie still freaks me out.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »
I want you guys to check this out.  - Avatar is DELGO.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=28178

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »

Tell me a best alien ever created from your point of view.

dude....DUDE....DUUUUUUUDE....are you forgetting THE ALIEN MOVIES?!?!?! Scariest aliens on the planet, and they came out what...30 years before Signs? or EVERY ALIEN IN THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS!! Puppets and costumes and animatronics will ALWAYS look better than a CG alien that looks like it was made with MS Paint. Seriously, I can see the background through the alien in signs. I know you can crack that up to "Oh it's what Night intended...a transparent alien that looks like Predator's dildo." I want to go on believing that Night isn't happy with the alien in signs...I don't know his stance, but if I start believing that horrible catastrophe is what he wanted, then I'm sad :'(

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »
even "Welcome to Erf!" had better effects than Signs.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
I know M.Night isn't happy with his aliens and who knows one day he makes another Alien movie and he improves it. My point is not particularly CGI. My piont is how we humans picture and imagine aliens. We imagine them as reptiles and many other shapes and sizes. M.night's Alien is something that gives you a reasonable and accurate idea of how ALIENS might look like. And same thing with DISCTRICT 9.

The ALIEN movies that you are talking about is creative, but they look like grass hoppers. Flies. I think thats funny. No disrespect to Ridley Scott. And if you are talking about those Aliens and Robots in STAR WARS, that kind a made me laugh. George Lucas made those for kids and that's why kids love those action figures till date. Those are not realistic aliens.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »
The aliens/graphics in Avatar most certainly look better than D9. And Signs.

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »
I know M.Night isn't happy with his aliens and who knows one day he makes another Alien movie and he improves it. My point is not particularly CGI. My piont is how we humans picture and imagine aliens. We imagine them as reptiles and many other shapes and sizes. M.night's Alien is something that gives you a reasonable and accurate idea of how ALIENS might look like. And same thing with DISCTRICT 9.

The ALIEN movies that you are talking about is creative, but they look like grass hoppers. Flies. I think thats funny. No disrespect to Ridley Scott. And if you are talking about those Aliens and Robots in STAR WARS, that kind a made me laugh. George Lucas made those for kids and that's why kids love those action figures till date. Those are not realistic aliens.

A valid point sir...

I thought the design of the alien in Signs was alright, but the truth is we have ABSOLUTELY no idea what aliens would look like, so we have no basis for comparision. I'm a big fan of scary alien movies, and the ones that scared me the most and made the biggest impact on my life were the ones that looked the most ridiculous haha (excluding the star wars aliens, OF COURSE they're for kids, but they still look great)!!! And just the entire last scene of Signs annoys the hell out of me....not the part with him trying to revive his son, but the part with MERRILL FIGHTING THE ALIEN WITH A BASEBALL BAT!!! just everything in that scene is dumb dumb DUMB.