Gattaca and your favourite sci-fi films thread

Author Topic: Gattaca and your favourite sci-fi films thread  (Read 5075 times)

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
Gattaca and your favourite sci-fi films thread
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
After tireless plugging by one of the mnightfans regulars (you know who you are!) I decided to watch Gattaca.

I'm glad I did I thought it was brilliant.

Slow burning, non-hollywoodified (hollywoodless?...CGIless?....Good? :P) sci-fi films are one of my favourite genres. That's why I've harped on about the first half of Sunshine so much. It's fantastic.

There are no big cityscapes or aliens or creatures in Gattaca - it's very modest. But it's just a great story with some really cool idea's.

***SPOILERS***

Loved the part where his brother asks him how he wins the swimming contest and he say's it's cos he didn't save any energy for the way back. Chills all over there like. It's like he was willing to die for his dream or to prove himself you know. Mind over matter!

***END SPOILERS***

I'd say it's a must see for a Night fan really - ask Namaste, he'll probs be able to sell it to you better than me ;).

Anyway despite my fondness of the sci-fi genre it seems to be something I've paid little attention to.

I wanted to ask anyone's opinion of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris (the good one not George Clooney one) and Blade Runner? Yet to see any of those but they're like the main thought provoking sci-fi players arn't they? British Indie film Moon is supposed to be good as well gonna watch that soon.

Anyone got any other good Sci-Fi's? - watched Bob Zemeckis' Contact the other day, it was definetly slow i'll give it that lol. Not much going on though I wern't a fan.

I say watch Sunshine, Cypher, Gattaca and A.I.

Does The Postman count? always liked that. Post apocalyptic one.

So yeah go ahead list your fave sci-fi's if you want :)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:56:07 PM by steinmansbrain »

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
Re: Gattaca and your favourite sci-fi films thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:20:02 AM »
Well,I liked "I,robot", "I am legend" (mmm,I know this two are ultra-hollywoodified,but it doesn't mind to me) and "Fantastic Voyage" is good,too (a bit old,but with a very cool idea).
"Welcome to The Cove"

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »
Well,I liked "I,robot", "I am legend" (mmm,I know this two are ultra-hollywoodified,but it doesn't mind to me) and "Fantastic Voyage" is good,too (a bit old,but with a very cool idea).

I thought I, Robot was pretty cool. Only need to watch that once though really. Didn't think much of I Am Legend I was pretty bored. I understand that story/plot is limited when you're only following one character, but I was so much more interested in what was going on in say Cast Away, than in I Am Legend.

Haven't seen Fantastic Voyage but it sounds a lot like Innerspace with Martin Short - Awesome movie :)

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
I totally agree about Cast Away: it's one of my favourite movies and is also to me better than I am Legend.
As for Fantastic Voyage,it's about some men (lol,actually there's a woman,too ;D) who literally go into a scientist's body trying to save him from death.As I said before,it's a good movie,maybe a little old,but well done.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »
Yeah..Gattaca is the best movie ever made. The layers upon layers of symbolism, the dialogue, the subtle humor, the story, the special effects (not overdone), the acting, the cinematography & lighting, the meticulous attention to detail in every aspect (including background PA announcements made in Esperanto which was believed at one time to be a manufactured language to replace all others in the future), the music OMG, the themes dealt with such as nature vs nurture, science vs spirit, etc, the intense emotions, all-star cast, I could go on. . .

AND I agree Cast Away is similar (and superior) to I Am Legend. I do like IAL, though.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
I saw Gattaca a little while back and really enjoyed it.  Though I can't think of any other sci-fi films that I've watched and liked.  Does Blade 2 count?
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »
Mmm,I don't know if that counts..I think Blade should be considered an action movie  ???
"Welcome to The Cove"

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
I was thinking, because I Am Legend got in, that Blade 2 might also.  I felt like it was less action oriented than the other two, but yeah, still action/scifi.

marco

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:24:31 AM »
Yeah,actually I don't remember them well...I can't even say what's the difference between Blade 1,2 or 3  ;D
"Welcome to The Cove"

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
Blade 2 most certainly does not count! Not it my topic anyway! ;)

I was asking about "modest" sci-fi here, dialogue driven sci fi. Blade 2 man come on!

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
Would Donnie Darko count as "modest" sci fi?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
I didn't know we were talking about modest sci-fi.  And by the way Marco, Blade II is definately the best of the three, the best story, the best overall feel, and it's directed by Guillermo Del Torro.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
Yes, Donnie Darko is sci-fi as well as philosophical. LOL would you believe it's my favorite movie after Gattaca and The Village? interesting that someone mentioned it on this thread. Definitely worth seeing, though I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 16.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
Eh, I saw The Exorcist for the first time when I was eleven. I think they'll be okay.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
They'll be ok, but I wouldn't recommend it.