The Tree Of Life

Author Topic: The Tree Of Life  (Read 2589 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
The Tree Of Life
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »
Without a doubt or any questions asked, Terrence Malick is one of the greatest and passionate directors in the world today. The style and direction of this guy is text book perfect. My all time favorites "The Thin Red Line" - "The New World".

Well, Terrence Malik is back and he is back with Sean Penn and this time stars Brad Pitt also.

Apparently, there will be two Terrence Malick films to feast on in the near future. As reported over at AICN, the upcoming Malick film The Tree of Life, starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt, will be two full, separate movies, the first of which will be the narrative The Tree of Life which we?ve all been expecting while the second will be an ??imax only? feature depicting the birth and death of the universe.? (AICN)

Furthermore, Douglas Trumbull, the guy who did the special effects on 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Blade Runner, is helping shoot the films. In what capacity exactly it is not yet known. This is big news, considering that this guy was part of such a revolutionary time in special effects.

Apparently, both films will not be connected through their stories. Either way, this is exciting news. Malick?s only made four feature films before The Tree of Life, and, in my opinion, they?re all masterworks. And the last one with Sean Penn (The Thin Red Line) was especially brilliant.

The First Look - http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7618/treeoflifeqk6.jpg

Plot - The story centers around a family with three boys in the 1950s. The eldest son witnesses the loss of innocence.

Premise

Details of the plot released by sources involved in the production have been minimal, however sources described the film as a 1950s period piece. The first official description of the film emerged from foreign sales agent Summit Entertainment's official website in September 21, 2008 in the form of a thematic summary of the film, describing it as the tale of a Midwestern boy's journey from the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as a "lost soul in the modern world", and into his quest to regain meaning in life.

In an October 2008 interview, production designer Jack Fisk, a longtime Malick collaborator, suggested that the director is attempting something radical. He has also implied that details of the film are a close secret. In early March 2009, visual effects artist Mike Fink revealed to Empire Magazine that he was working on scenes of prehistoric Earth for the movie.The similarity of the scenes Fink describes to descriptions of a hugely ambitious project that Malick worked on soon after Days of Heaven, entitled Q, has lead to speculation that The Tree of Life is a resurrection of that abandoned project.

dana

Re: The Tree Of Life
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
I was reading this last night.  thought about it.  slept on it.  came back to greet it.  weird.  reminded me of my first coffee table.  actually, my parents' first coffee table.  golden honey oak.  kind of got passed on to me on the way.  took a photo of it before I sold it.  weird.  feeling something for a coffee table.  walked through the Good Will store a long while back.  picked up this plaque.  "A Tree" by Joyce Kilmer (killed in France)  I think that I shall never see A poem lovely as a tree;  A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;  A tree that looks to God all day  And lifts her leafy arms to pray;  A tree that may in summer wear A nest of robins in her hair, Upon whose bosom snow has lain, Who intimately lives with rain.  Poems are made by fools like me.  But only God can make a tree.  It took me awhile to see what was here and there both all along.  The poem is pasted to a piece of wood cut from my first coffee table.  I'm holding it in my lap at this moment.  I figure it must be real give out.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »
Very nice Dana. I like it. I understand the point of the poem. The movie according to the website is based on a young boy who lost his innocense. A tree and a boy is basically samething the way I see where the story is going to be leading us.

Do you always write poems, Dana?

dana

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »
reminds me of David.  my friend.  David once thanked me for the ride.  I suppose even the word poem.  yes, even the word poem.  well, I could think on that for awhile.  The coffe table.  well, the truth always does appear stranger than fiction.  or does it?  always? 

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »
reminds me of David.  my friend.  David once thanked me for the ride.  I suppose even the word poem.  yes, even the word poem.  well, I could think on that for awhile.  The coffe table.  well, the truth always does appear stranger than fiction.  or does it?  always? 

I agree truth does appear stranger than fiction.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
I believe the SONY acquired the rights for this movie.

I tried the site link:  http://www.treeoflife-movie.com

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »
 TREE OF LIFE is another one of those films that everyone is waiting on.

Well, news comes about the film, but it isn't much.

At the Indie Spirit awards, Apparition?s Bob Berney talks about his excitement for the next film from director, Terrence Malick. If you remember back in October, Berney said he had no clue when TREE was coming out.

Now he's saying that the film will be released worldwide in early November. It's also very likely that it will show at Cannes this year. Pete Hammond from the LA Times reports Berney saying that TREE is like a dream and that Malick fans will be very happy. He also compares Brad Pitt's performance to Robert De Niro's in THIS BOYS LIFE, saying that people are going to see a side of Pitt they've never seen before. Another performance that made some waves was from Jessica Chastain, who plays Pitt's wife.

For those of you who may have already forgotten what TREE OF LIFE was about, here's our synopsis:

We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, Jack, one of three brothers. At first all seems marvelous to the child. He sees as his mother does, with the eyes of his soul. She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world's way, of putting oneself first. Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims. The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death. The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth. Framing this story is that of adult Jack (Sean Penn), a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part. When he sees all that has gone into our world's preparation, each thing appears a miracle precious, incomparable. Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life.