Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie Preview Edition

Author Topic: Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie Preview Edition  (Read 2349 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »
Cool new Entertainment Weekly issue out!

One of my favorite issues each year is out this week, the Summer Movie Preview double issue!!

There are a lot of interesting notes I wish to make, so bare with me on the length of this post.

-First of all, M. Night Shyamalan American Express Print Ad is on page 8 & 9! This is cool. B)  The following 2 pages are Martin Scorsese's American Express Print Ad.

-Second, I am botherd by the prediction for this summer's top 10 movies at the box-office. Not listed: Lady in the Water.  :angry:
Here is their list:
1. Superman Returns: $300million
2. Mission Impossible III: $260million
3. X-Men III: $240million
4. Cars: $235million
5. The Da Vinci Code: $225million
6. Pirates of the Caribbean II: $200million
7. Over the Hedge: 175million
8. Poseidon: $140million
9. The Break-Up: $120million
10. Talladega Nights: $115million

umm. Mission Impossible III in the number two spot? I don't think so. I think that it will be were they list Pirates of the Caribbean and vice-a-versa. The Da Vinci Code will do well, but then again $225million is a lot. I say it will do just under $200million. $240 million is pushing it for X-men III. The highest gross in the series so far is around $215million. I think Poseidon is going to be hit-or-miss. At it's best it should do $140million, at it's worst $70million. The lowest earner on this list is Talledega Nights ( a will ferrell comedy ) taking in a predicted $115. That means EW thinks that Lady in the Water will do worse than The Village, because The Village earned $114 :huh: . My Predictions for LITW were between $130million-$200million. Of course, I am a Shyamalan freak :rolleyes: , but his movies do good at the box-office, this one should too.

-Thirdly we get to the cool stuff. :P  Lady in the Water paragraph. New picture of Paul carrying Bryce in his arms. :wub:  The article reads:

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>If you've seen the teaser trailer for Lady in the Water, you probably scratched your head at the Italian opera music and the kid-friendly tagline: "A Bedtime Story...by M. Night Shyamalan." Is this a joke? Is the pitch-black prankster behind The Sixth Sense and The Village going all soft on us? "My name's become an adjective for something scary, and I wanted to change that" says Shyamalan. "I wanted to take control of the expectations that come with my movies and play with them."
From what little we know of Lady, there aren't any dead people who don't know they're dead, no security guards with superpowers, no aliens invading the cellar, and the color red isn't evil. Instead, we have Giamatti as an apartment building superintendent who discovers a "narf" ( a kind of sea nymph, played by Howard ) in the complex's swimming pool. Shyamalan says the idea grew out of a tale he told his two daughters ( now ages 6 and 9 ) while tucking them in at night. Beyond those few details though, he's pretty tight-lipped, except to say "My ultimate goal with the movie is to tell you a ridiculous bedtime story and have you believe it by the end." Swell. But is there a big twist ending? Shyamalan says there isn't. Or maybe he's just messing with us again. (July 21)</span>

Pretty cool article. Nothing new really, but interesting for sure. I will post the pic soon.

-Fourth of all, they have a whole article on Byrce Dallas Howard. It is too long for me to re-type it here. She talks about her career. They talk a little about The Village and how she didn't like how she got good reviews and Shyamalan didn't. "Night really carried me through the performence. I'm not just saying that. So when people were kind of ragging on him but nice to me, I was like, 'They don't understand. It's all connected'." There are some cool pictures in the article as well. A picture of her and William Hurt in The Village, a small pic of her in Manderlay. A new picture of Night directing her and Paul on the set of LITW. Plus a stunning picture of her as the article's main pic, of her in a red dress with short blonde hair. :wub:  Once I again, I plan on scanning in some new pics soon. I will probably post them on the main page.

That's about it. Check out the magazine, it is pretty cool!! It also has info on all of this summers top movies.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:39:09 PM »
 So Lady In The Water wasn't in the prediction list. Well, who cares M.Night movies always comes at the top when it releases.

-Rohan

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 02:24:43 PM »
 thats true. i could give two craps wherea magazine would rank litw. In my list, the one that counts, litw is in the 1-4 spot.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:08:02 PM »
 Yep I read that part on the magazine when they were saying SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN AN OSCAR, I think she was talking about M.Night cause its two times now since she is working with the director and she is really thrilled by his style of film making.

Plus, the magazine was saying that Steven Speilberg has E.T. but Shyamalan has "Nymph" sounds really great to me and challenging.

-Rohan