Avatar: The Last Airbender

Does The Last Airbender Casting Have you Worried?

Since the announcement of the primary cast of M. Night Shyamalan’s The Last Airbender this morning, there has been a lot of mixed reaction.  Not only are people saying negative things about Mr. Shyamalan, but they’re also saying that the creators of Avatar wouldn’t have chosen these particular characters.  They’re also commenting about the color of the characters’ skin as compared to the cartoon.

For those that missed it, here is the cast list:
Aang – Noah Ringer
Sokka – Jackson Rathbone
Katara – Nicola Peltz
Zuko – Jesse McCartney

For those keeping score at home, this is the only casting that has been done so far.  It does not mean that they have finished casting the film (as one slightly ignorant young fan had thought), it just means that they are announcing the first cast members to be signed.

As for the world of Avatar, there are a few things that we must keep in mind.

First: the characters are not all Asian.  I repeat.  The characters in the world of Avatar are not all Asian.  It is set in a fantasy world with fantastical creatures and locations.  The people of that world can be as multicultural as the casting director and creative team want them to be.  This makes for a much larger feeling world, and that’s not a bad thing!

M. Night Shyamalan isn’t doing the casting alone.  There’s a whole team of casting professionals, and there are things that they can see in actors that we tend to miss in our own limited views of the actors.

Let’s give the actors chosen a chance.  I wish them well in bringing our favorite characters to life in this upcoming trilogy, and look forward to seeing the first pictures of them in costume that will inevitably hit the web by next July!

98 Responses to “Does The Last Airbender Casting Have you Worried?”

1. Aron says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

i’ve been saying this all along!!!

there is no race in Avatar! it’s a fictional (amazingly written) story, so deal with it! Leave the actors alone, if u had been chosen to play the part of Aang would u be saying “How can they choose white people to play them?!” –NO! you wouldn’t! so just live with it and at least give them a chance!

and Jesse McCartney isnt even signed yet! the interview says

“Jesse McCartney, meanwhile, is NEGOTIATING to play …the Fire Nation’s evil prince Zuko” he’s not confirmed yet

2. Anonymous says:

Then why are a majority of the negotiated main roles for Caucasian actors?

Sure, as long as the intention and characterization is alright then the story is saved. But…
    But now that the door may be closing towards a multi-cultural cast, minority viewers may not be able to feel that characters from an otherwise “non-european” influenced fantasy world have characters..that FOR ONCE…looked a bit like them.

3. Nix says:

Neither Jackson Rathbone nor Jesse McCartney are children. Rathbone was born in 1984, McCartney in 1987.

4. Slu says:

This is awful. These are Disney actors and they’re supposed to play serious, mature parts involving issues about martial arts, philosophy, and existential identity? Night screwed this up and this is going to suck.

I was a huge Night fan, but I don’t know what’s wrong with the guy. He turned The Green Effect (potentially his best script) into the garbage that was The Happening, blew $60 million on Lady in the Water, and now is going to screw up one of the best animated series to come around in a long time.

A few years ago, I might’ve given him a chance, but this is too much.

5. Livvy says:

“The people of that world can be as multicultural as the casting director and creative team want them to be. This makes for a much larger feeling world, and that's not a bad thing!”

I am hoping this is casting for the Ember Island Players portion of the movie.

6. TheCritic says:

This sounds WAY to familiar… does every anime show have to have chinese actors?

7. Paul Martin Specter says:

“And yet they don't pick a single person to portray that feeling instead they white wash all the main characters.”

I haven't seen what Noah Ringer looks like yet. Also, there are plenty of characters, and there are still more characters that can be considered “main” characters. Who they've cast are the three companions and the villain of book one. And nothing more, so far.

Remember, the Water Tribe is kind of like Eskimos. There are plenty of reasons for choosing who they choose. I am betting they have chosen the people that best fit the role that they're casting for. And remember, Night is collaborating for the first time ever. He's collaborating with the creators of Avatar on the script and story and whatnot.

Let's not degrade ourselves to pre-judge a movie based on our own pre-conceptions of what the movie may or may not be like. Let's remain optimistic until we've seen the final product.

Remember, the movie isn't the TV show, and could never be. It's going to be its' own thing. As far as I know, this is the first time in history that a cartoon is being adapted to the big-screen. It's going to be like a book to screen translation, only like taking 440 minutes and cutting it down to only 150 minutes of movie time.

8. Dr Crowe says:

Well said Specter. 🙂

I think you are approaching this situation very wisely.

I like to think that the producers, casting director, and Night are evaluating the actors on how well they can act, and how well they will be able to portray the characters written for them by Mike, Bryan, and Night — and not purely based on their skin color or their likeness to a cartoon character.

9. SK says:

It's not just that these actors are more talented, its that (more so in Jesse McCartney and Jackson Rathbone than the other actors' cases) have built up enough of a name for themselves that the studios and everyone else who works for these actors are hoping to sky rocket their careers. That and because their names are somewhat recognizable they are hoping to get more people to come see the film. It's not just a talent issue. If there was someone who was just as talented, non-Caucasian, and was very well know, they most likely would cast them.

10. Livvy says:

The main human characters are Aang, Zuko, Katara, Sokka, and Toph.

So far they turned the tan characters white and they made Zuko a teen pop star.

The only way to save this is to have Vin Diesel as Toph.

If it's going to be bad let it be craptastic, it's on it's way

11. Doyle says:

Some of the people posting are taking the “race” issue a little to seriously. I have been a fan of Avatar since the fist episode and I am also an Asian American (Vietnamese to be precise). The fact that the first four actors announced are white doesn't bother me at all, in fact Jackson Rathbone looks a lot like Sokka. With everyone always so concerned about being PC, why don't we not worry about race and focus on this great cast that will bring the characters of Avatar to life like never before. And there is no reason to insult M. Night, he is a great director and he wouldn't even be doing this film trilogy if he didn't feel passionatly about it.

12. Paul Martin Specter says:

Someone's taken this too far….

Would anyone have believed that Elijah Wood could have pulled off Frodo before seeing The Lord of the Rings? There are many times that actors have pulled through on roles that they don't seem suited to in the slightest. It's something that doesn't happen until someone is given a chance. Let's give them a chance to prove themselves to us.

P.S. Thanks Dr. Crowe, much appreciated! I'm trying to keep this positive!

13. Paul Martin Specter says:

Thank you, Doyle! That's what I'm talking about! (see two comments above this)

14. Lalena says:

“As far as I know, this is the first time in history that a cartoon is being adapted to the big-screen” -Specter

You obviously were not paying attention when The Simpson's movie was released then.

15. Paul Martin Specter says:

16. Korbin says:

I absolutely disagree. I think finding actors who looked similar to the characters they are playing should of been the first priority. How are the fans supposed to connect with the movie when the main cast doesn't look and feel like their animated versions. We fell in love with the animated TV series. It's hard enough to watch Avatar turned into a live action movie, but to have the cast look nothing like the main characters is extremely disappointing. Also, the age difference between the actor playing Sokka and the one playing Katara is too great.

17. Paul Martin Specter says:

18. Rachel says:

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the water tribe kids being white. People who live in the Artic, due to the way they live and the diet they maintain, have dark skin. Casting white people for those roles feels kinda silly to me. It can work, but unless every Inuit actor that tried out was awful, I think the casting is missing some flavor. *shrug*

They had better be amazingly awesome actors, then. Or… I dunno, maybe makeup can work some wonders.

I'm still looking forward to the movie because the show was so good, but the more news I hear the more worried I get.

19. Bazza says:

Now I can't vouch for the acting abilities of this bunch, but from looking at their pictures on slashfilm.com they look very convincing. Rathbone is spot on for Sokka in my opinion. I can see Nicola Peltz as Katara as well. Both do in fact look very young. Honestly I didn't even think about the color of their skin if there hadn't been this big uproar about it, I don't really think like that. Animation is a form of expression, its presentation is not going to translate literally to real-life. People are too concerned about the details. As long as they can act the part, and their character itself doesn't change, that's what counts.

As for M Night directing, he's always had an impeccable cast in all his movies except the Happening (which I choose to ignore). I'm sure all these picks are very capable. M Night brings a depth, style and characterization that no other director can do. Avatar is in safe hands.

PS check out the clip of Mccartney in Law and Order, when he breaks down. He really isn't half bad.

20. Dr Crowe says:

Arguing “How are the fans supposed to connect with the movie when the main cast doesn't look and feel like their animated versions.” is a flawed argument if you ask me.

I think it would be a sign of great film-making strength if the movie can conjure those type of connections even though there is no direct, extreme visual similarity.

——

Also, Rachel, I think there are some flaws with your argument. People who live in the Arctic do not necessarily have dark skin. It really has to do with ancestry and migration in some cases. A lot of indigenous peoples in the arctic circle have ties back to central Asian origin.

In contrast, take the Saami in the Nordic regions of Europe. The skin tone of many of the Saami is lighter than my own, and I am white. Most geneticists would make the point of arguing that the Saami people are not necessarily of Siberian or Asian ancestry. Could that be the reason for the lighter skin tone, and not the environment?

I don't think it is as clear cut as you are making it.

21. Vina says:

You know, if they're not going to use any Asian actors, they might as well just drop the whole Asian cultural theme of “Avatar” and go with generic pseudo-Medieval schtick like everyone else. Because if everyone is Caucasian in the film, having all the Tibetan and Inuit and Chinese and Korean and Japanese imagery just isn't going to make any sense.

Heck, let's just drop the who element bending thing and give'em all swords while we're at it.

22. Paul Martin Specter says:

That's not entirely valid, though. Remember: Avatar is not set in our world. It is set in a world much different from our own.

If it were set in our world, where'd all the crazy creatures come from? I think having the strange animals in it were meant to let us know that, despite cultural references, the show is largely a cultural-amalgam. And they've only cast FOUR roles, if that. Everyone's panicked and making final statements when there are only four cast members covered. Sure, they're the most important ones, but it'll be the rest of the cast that will give the world its' overall feel.

23. Julie says:

“Let's wait until we see the actors in costume until we judge how they'll look in the film.”

Still not convinced

Can I have some black face with some yellow face on the side please.

How bout scrap the live action and give us Avatar fans a full length movie about what happens after Aang defeats the firelord.

24. Paul Martin Specter says:

Those pictures are terrible renditions.
    http://animantx.deviantart.com/ Check these out. These were actually done by someone with some skill.

25. Kth says:

^lol, ew. But I agree with the last statement.

———

“If the movie has to hark back to the animated series to make you feel connected to the characters, the movie is probably failing on so many levels.”

So wait, if the movie tries to make the characters *look like the characters they're based on*, it fails?

…Seriously, if you're going to say “screw the source material,” why work from one in the first place?

Darn it, you made me think of something cute: Appa the two-headed orange tabby kitten. ^___^

“People who live in the Artic, due to the way they live and the diet they maintain, have dark skin.”
    “People who live in the Arctic do not necessarily have dark skin.”

Either way, the point isn't “Arctic=darker skin,” it's “*these characters* have darker skin.” For all I know, there could be people in the Arctic who are so black they'd make Don Cheadle look like the snow surrounding them. They wouldn't be right for the parts, either.

Ultimately, we don't want “well, there are light people in the Arctic too, so they can play these characters.” We want people who look like the characters they're playing.

26. Kth says:

I meant I agreed with Julie's last statement. Anyway:

“Animation is a form of expression, its presentation is not going to translate literally to real-life. People are too concerned about the details. As long as they can act the part, and their character itself doesn't change, that's what counts.”

Darn it! You made me think of odd things. Imagine: David Spade as Toph (David Spade Earthbending… yum :9), Will Smith as Sokka, Tom Cruise as Aang, Mary McCormack as Katara, Jason Isaacs as Zuko, and Whoopi Goldberg as Iroh. 😀

27. Paul Martin Specter says:

I think this about sums up what most fans are REALLY thinking: “give us Avatar fans a full length movie about what happens after Aang defeats the firelord.”

28. rizzol0219 says:

more discussion on forums, see avatar casting: http://www.mnightfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=2241.0

29. Bazza says:

“Darn it! You made me think of odd things. Imagine: David Spade as Toph (David Spade Earthbending… yum :9), Will Smith as Sokka, Tom Cruise as Aang, Mary McCormack as Katara, Jason Isaacs as Zuko, and Whoopi Goldberg as Iroh. :D”

Haha Kth, I think you might have taken my comment a bit to the extreme. By details, I mean skin color, height, hair color eye color, many of these details can be changed via costume design and shot angles. As long as they look young enough to act the part and feel like they portray these characters accurately, that's what counts.

Regardless, M Night has a unique style and I don't see this movie translating as is to the big screen. I expect it to be a darker more serious adaptation, but will still incorporate the complicated characters and rich fantastical world. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen. It WILL be different than the show. That's how most book or tv shows translate to the big screen. There's no getting around that. It's just something people will have to accept.

30. rizzol0219 says:

However it plays out in my opinion if the movie doesn't pan out well and make money, it will most likely not make it to movies 2 and 3. It will probably fall to the way side like Eragon and The Golden Compass series. I liked both movies but that is probably because I didn't read the books.

31. Julie says:

“While they're working on a live-action translation of the story we've all seen, fans don't want a retread of the same story. We want new things. I believe that some of this frustration comes from the fact that we don't know what's next for Avatar. Will there be a new series? Will there be something else entirely from the creators? We don't know that, and that's part of the frustration.”

I was Ok even excited about the idea of a live action version of the avatar. Maybe it could have been like the Harry Potter movies. But for the Harry Potter movies they made sure to pick kids who embodied the characters, they looked a lot like the characters and where British. Sure an American child actor probably could have played the part but they went and where respectful of the book.

32. Julie says:

Now with casting the main characters as white people they are pretty much throwing out one of the major appeals of the show, the cultural diversity.

Now I will be honest, I was not at all happy with the choice of director because I fear for how appa and momo will turn out and the special effects but I was willing to give it a shot. But if they decide to stick with this all White cast for the main characters and have the audacity to make Asian and the Inuit character side characters or have them as background actors then I will not be supporting this movie with my money.

For those who are not happy with the casting, there is a letter writing campaign that is hoping to change this. As soon as I get home I am writing my letter.

33. Storm Anderson says:

Everyone is SO fixated on RACE as a part of this thing.

WAHT ABOUT THE MARTIAL ARTS!

I would say it takes about a whole year or SERIOUSLY INTENSE training to become
    a part of the cast for this movie!
    I mean, JESSE McCARTNEY DOESNT KNOW NORTHERN SHAOLIN KUNG FU.

(FYI:
    Air Bending:Ba Gua
    Water Bending:Tai Chi (OR liu He Ba Fa)
    Earth Bending:Hung Gar (Kung Fu)
    Fire Bending: Northern Shaolin Kung Fu

And there is no way in hell Jesse McCartney could hack it in a Chineese Acadamy Like Si Ping MAA for a ful year.
    Let alone the fact that the little 12 year old boy doesnt even know Wushu (for those know nothings out there, Wushu is Plainly, martial arts, But it only includes chineese martial arts, Like Tai Chi, Hung gar, Baji Quan ect. NOT KARATE DO)

I mean, i HOPE that this director isn't that much of an idiot not to hire martial arts coreographers and the luike to train them in the right styles, but he still should have chosen actors that have a martial arts back ground.
    Not stupid ALL whhite hollywood celebrity starlets that ahve been on lots of kiddie/Disney movies.
    (Albeit Twilight is an AWESOME movie)
    Has it Accured to the director that he's not that white himself.
    Specially with a last name like Shyamalan Lol.

34. fiesty_kid says:

I so agree with the comment before mine about the martial arts,a nd about the race thing.

WE NEED BALANCE people.
    Yin Yang And all that jazz =]

If you Have seen the Dragon Ball Z trailer, it's not actually fake.
    All the actors are highly trained in the martial arts.
    But they are ALL asian, they then look nothing like their respective charactors, and to complement this, the director of that poor poor movie, decided to make the movie something that is not, and now it will become a complete faliure to DBZ fans and a lack lustre hit for non fans.

Making this an ALl caucasion cast is a msitake.
    One of the many great qualities of the
    Avatar:TLAB is the multicultural aspects of it.

Please Mr. Shyamalan, if you are reading this, (which yur probably not)
    Take into consideration ALL of this feed back from not only me, but the otehr fans who are hping to dear god your not just doing this to make a quick buck.
    We love avatar, and will sooooo officially dis own your movie and make our own if we ahve to.

which is an Idea.

If were all really bitchy about this avatar cast, why dont we make our own cast?
    (Or make our won movie!)

[email protected]

35. Paul Martin Specter says:

Whether they know Martial Arts or not, that sort of thing is easy to get on film, and make it look good. I'm sure they'll hire great Martial Arts Choreographers. Just look at The Matrix for example: Keanu Reeves doing Martial Arts? I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it.

Think about it like this: Anyone that trains in acting is probably not going to be well trained in Martial Arts, and anyone well trained in Martial Arts is probably not going to be well trained in acting.

This show is very much a character driven show, and the martial arts can be trained with intensive work. That will happen. Trust me. And honestly, how many actors can truly say they know Northern Shaolin Kung Fu?

36. Storm Anderson says:

There are plenty of actors taht have trained in Wushu (chineese martial arts)
    The whole foundation of the bending arts is the fighting stle.

And Keanu reeves wasnt doing martial arts…It was all wires.
    Which is really sad if you think about it.
    I LOVED the cahracter that played trinity (she rocks my socks) and Naiyobi and Ghost, real amrtial artists.
    Keanu reeves was jsut cast in that spot cause hes cute, and looks awesome in a trench coat and sun glasses.

BUT this is about avatar!

Please PLEASE PLEASE dont be a major faliure!
    I love Avatar, and am currently researching a way to water bend by somehow magnatising a mass amount of concentrated electrons found in lake water in the antartic because of all the statc taht happens when teh ice rubs together.

I agree with fiesty kid.
    I reckon al of us disgruntled fans from around th world, should take a look round and make our own movie.

37. Paul Martin Specter says:

If you really think that Keanu's martial arts was all on wires, you really don't know the Matrix very well. (I also run a small website called MatrixFans.net, by the way.) Keanu spent months and months training every day to be able to do the fighting that was required of him. They all trained.

38. Storm Anderson says:

I know I know, but it still didnt look very authentic.
    You cna train and train and trian till the proverbial cows come the F*** home, but at the end of the day it comes down to how it is filmed and presented.

I still cant see Jeese McCartney doing fire bending.
    Hes too…fluffy.
    Id Like to See nicola peltz though as katara.
    Shes such a sweet girl.
    I recon she could also benifit from
    Taiji Chuan training for Katara.
    Katara Is my favorite!
    So shed better not mess it up.

39. Ashlee says:

Oh, I'm definitely willing to give the actors a chance, but seriously don't try and tell me that you honestly believe they didn't whitewash this production.
    I never thought of all the characters being Asian. They had a chance to bash stereotypes and create a movie with Caucasians, Asians, African-Americans, and Latinos, but they decided to go with what was marketable. After all, Hollywood IS a business. So don't be condescending. Some of us do want to give them a chance, but we are disappointed with a team that knows how to take risks decided to play it completely safe and ignore the wishes of an entire fan base.

40. Paul Martin Specter says:

I’m not being condescending at all. I am merely suggesting that we do not make this whole thing about race. If that’s the direction that we move in as fans, then we’ve lost sight of the multicultural aspects of Avatar, and we’re only basing our final judgment on what is only the first four cast members. We’ve chosen to chastise the creative team before we have seen an inch of film. I’m not blaming you for wanting what you want, but believe me when I say, I’ve seen fans up in arms many times. Prince Caspian is a 14-15 year old Mediterranean, the actor that played him was 26 and British. It turned out perfectly fine.

I am not going to get myself in a tizzy over four cast members of the whole thing.

41. rizzol0219 says:

What are you views on the multicultural aspects of Avatar? What exactly is multicultural about it in your opinion? I'm just curious?

42. spikeshinizle says:

The race issue doesn't bother me at all. What I'm concerned about is hiring a kid who has never acted in his life, simply because he is well trained in martial arts.
    The action/fighting should come second to the story and characters, if we have a main character that can't act very well, then the film is in trouble.

I'm trying to be positive, but I feel as though M Night has dropped the ball with his last couple of films (I was SO disappointed in The Happening), I'm hoping that he can get his game back with this Avatar film.

43. Julie says:

“only the first four cast members”

Other then Toph they are the main characters. It's not just 4 cast members it's the main characters that are all white washed.

There is a huge difference between a Mediterranean vs British to Asian vs White kids

I could see it being picky if it was us complaining about a Korean or a Philippine being picked over a Chinese Actor but they are White, western and white.

Don't minimize the effects that Blackface and Yellowface have.

DBZ movie 2.0, another straight to DVD movie if they keep this up.

44. Paul Martin Specter says:

To be multicultural is to celebrate different cultures for who they are. But remember: although Avatar has martial arts, chinese writing and clothing, etc.. it's not like it can't have people of other races playing roles.

I'm going to step aside from this. I suppose that I, even as a super fan myself, just don't see what a big deal it is.

I don't believe it's a “white-wash.” I won't buy into that idea until the entire world of Avatar is nothing but white american actors.

45. Reno says:

People are all uppity about the racial thing, but what if no actors who looked like the characters came in to try out, or the ones that did look like the characters sucked?
    I mean, so what if it looked exactly like Aang if he always spoke in a monotone. Would you prefer acting or looks?

46. rizzol0219 says:

So although Avatar has martial arts, chinese writing and clothing, etc, the world in which they are portrayed would be like the residents of New York City (just an example because they are so culturaly diverse) displaced and teleported into a fairy tale resembling some where in asia and wearing asian inspired attire? Hold on a 2nd I'm trying to picture it! Hmmmmm! Oh yeah that'll work! yeah ok whatever!

47. dr crow says:

Okay then, lets keep it really real and have everyone speak Chinese.

C'mon, this is getting silly now.

:wassat:

48. rizzol0219 says:

Answer for Reno: I would prefer them not to make the movie at all then.

Answer for Dr. Crowe: Chinese release will be in chinese of course. So no worries there.

Can anyone tell me why they remake asian horror movies to fit american audiences? Is there something wrong with the originals?

49. Storm anderson says:

THis Is geting rediculus now.
    Were all going to extremes.

Specter: Theese are the FOUR main characters.
    Who will be in the story for the whole three movies (if it even gets that far.
    ALL FOUR should not be American Actors.

Mr. Shyamalan has picked out an all american cast so ar.
    there IS no cultural iversity there.
    Givven that America IS a melting pot, its mostly white caucasion people that in habit it.

I WISH he would cast for eople in other countries. (Non english speaking too)

Like Australia, or Ireland, New Zealand, Wales, South Africa, Japan, Mexico, Argentinia, Israel.

Thre are many great actors that can fit the role much bettr than if it were JUST white american actors.

Also, if the four main characters DO accept the role of their characters, then who will the OTHER characters be?
    In the second movie (because this is going to be a trillogy or sum thing like that remember?) Shyamalan might realise his mistake, and then what?
    he cant get an entire new cast!
    He'll have to stick with white acotrs, adn white etras, and white everything.
    He aint so white himself ya know.

Its either that OR scap the whole thing.

My Ideal Actors for this movie:
    Aang: -14 year old white boy
    Sokka: -15 year old native american
    -15 year old hispanic boy
    Katara:
    -16 year old Native american/Hispanic girl

Zuko: -18 Year old Chineese guy
    -16 Year old australian
    -17 year old korean dude

50. Lalena says:

“The Simpson's Movie wasn't an adaptation of the storyline of the series. It was a separate entity.” – Specter

ok then what about the Dragonball movie? This is not new territory.

Respond to the news